Aussie lockers in snow/ice?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
trying to decide on a locker setup for my 60. thinking about aussie lockers, but i have heard that auto lockers are dangerous on the snow and ice in a daily driver??? i know that the arb's are a good choice but not sure if they are in my budget

arb's are good on snow/ice. you're either open diff driving or locked diff driving. they are pricey though. Auto lockers are a little dangerous on snow and ice.

They're not the best for winter driving on the street. I had a detroit in the rear end of an old Jeep TJ and the only thing that made it tolerable on ice was the trutrac limited slip in the front. I had to run in 4wd otherwise the back end would slide out with even a hint of throttle. Even in 4wd I had to be careful with the skinny pedal. I had some near misses accelerating onto highway on ramps, once ending up sideways next to a semi at about 80km/h. I had two sets of rims/tires, some all terrains and some swamper LTB's and it didn't matter which were set were on the vehicle, they were both terrible on ice.

My current FJ60 has an ARB in the rear and IMHO it's worth every penny. Use it when you need it and then shut it off. The longer wheelbase of the FJ60 probably helps also.

My 2 cents:
If the ARB air lockers are not in your current budget, save up longer until they are. Wait another year if need be. They are definitely worth every penny. IMO they are unquestionably the most valuable piece of 4WD equipment on the car besides the actual 4WD and I would have lost my cruiser long ago and perhaps my life a couple of times if I hadn't had them.

As long as you alter your driving habits the aussie is just fine in the snow/Ice. However, if you are not careful, they will put you into a ditch.

I have run an aussie and a lock-right in the rear and you have to drive very carefully and anticipate throttle and steering inputs. I got used to it, but I would not let my wife or daughter drive the truck in the snow, that's for damn sure.

I have an Aussie in the back of my 45. It can get away on you but just drive carefully in the snow and ice. The longer wheel base trucks act a lot better than the short wheel base.

An Aussie is not always locked you know.

Both air and electric have pros and cons. Anyway I wouldn't use a lunchbox locker in a snowy/icy area. Not worth the annoyance on road imo.

...via IH8MUD app

It will definitely act differently than an open rear. If you go that route, take a practice drive in an empty lot turning corners, accelerating and such to get a feel for it. They are not a bad way to go as long as you are careful, ie. not on the throttle whilst navigating a curve or trying for hard, straight line acceleration.

Whats your reasoning behind this?

No air leaks to worry about, no air lines or compressor. Less things to go wrong. If you break an air locker line ur in trouble where as an elocker is just wire you can fix that easier. Iv had both in a patrol before and would go e-locker again in a heartbeat,

also if u dont use ur airlocker much the seals go hard and become fragile

I've got a Powertrax in the rear end of my 60. And though I wouldn't go so far as to say it's dangerous, I'm definitely not a fan of it in snow and ice. I drive my truck on the weekends in a hilly rural area, where it hasn't gotten me into any trouble. I might feel differently about it, though, if I drove it more frequently, in traffic more, or on the highways more. At any rate, it feels very different than what I'm used to, and like others have said here, you have to treat the skinny pedal gingerly.

No air leaks to worry about, no air lines or compressor. Less things to go wrong. If you break an air locker line ur in trouble where as an elocker is just wire you can fix that easier. Iv had both in a patrol before and would go e-locker again in a heartbeat,

also if u dont use ur airlocker much the seals go hard and become fragile

Only one slight problem with your reasoning: There is no E-locker made for 60 series.

Only one slight problem with your reasoning: There is no E-locker made for 60 series.

There is, they'll just try to tell you it's for the rear of a FZJ80. ;)

With C clips...

(and the problem shows)

True, if you want one in the rear you need to swap in a full float axle. Front is easy though, just need a long side inner with extended splines.

I currently run an aussie rear, e locker front. For the most part the aussie is liveable in the winter, but it has surprised me in a bad way a few times on the highway when I've encountered black ice unexpectedly in 2wd.

My pig project has a 60 full floater under the rear so I can go dual elocker on it. :)

I used them front'rear on my 85 pu. I loved them! In the snow, I'd leave one wheel unlocked, and never had issues in snow.

trying to decide on a locker setup for my 60. thinking about aussie lockers, but i have heard that auto lockers are dangerous on the snow and ice in a daily driver??? i know that the arb's are a good choice but not sure if they are in my budget

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom