Aussie Locker Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put my Aussie Locker in today. It went in super easy and the tolerances were perfect. It behaves really well on the road so far, and I'll give it a run in the snow this weekend on the way to the cabin.

I thought I would share some of the install pictures. When I got to the shop there was another 62 there on the other lift next to a range rover. turns out the other guy wasn't on Mud yet, but I'm sure he will be soon. It's kinda funny because the 62 he just got was the one I was going to buy when I started shopping for mine last September.

The shop is the autocrafts center at Fort Drum. I pay $2.50 an hour for shop time. Let the drooling begin.

Pic 1 is the three trucks
Pic 2 is inside the rear diff
Pic 3 is the other side of the truck

:cheers:
IMG_0598.jpg
IMG_0600.jpg
IMG_0599.jpg

Here are some more pics.

1)The other end of the shop and the tool room (with tire machines, parts cleaners, and Bill)
2)Is the drive in paint booth
3) another shot on the lift.

Enjoy
IMG_0602.jpg
IMG_0603.jpg
IMG_0601.jpg

Drolling indeed...
Question, whats the basic rundown of how to install it? Easy? How long it took? Tools?

Drolling indeed...
Question, whats the basic rundown of how to install it? Easy? How long it took? Tools?

I was at the shop for about 5 hours, but I spent a ton of time chatting with the other 62 guy and another friend that showed up. I figure it would have taken about 2.5 hours with out distraction. And faster still a second time.

The instal was super straight forward. I searched all the posts here and printed out the aussie locker instructions and didn't have a single hic-up. Getting the c-clips back on is a little tricky, but if you make the little SST out of a hanger like the instructions tell you it's easy. Here's a general run down of the process. i took the rear tires off first to get them out of the way

1) remove sway bar to get it out of the way.
2) Drain diff and clean diff cover
3)disconnect bracket that holds e-brake line on the diff cover
4) remove diff cover. it took a slight wack with a hammer
5) remove pinion retaining bolt and pinion shaft
6) push the axles in a tad to pull the c-clips then pull the axles out about 3". mine just slid right out, but I could see how the brake drums could give people trouble
7) pull all the spider gears, spider gear washers and the thrust washers
8)checked the pinion and thrust washers for wear.
9)cleaned in the diff as best I could
10)started to put the aussie locker in per the instructions. start with the side gears and then follow the instructions to check for clearance around the pinion.
11)pull the pinion and spacers back out and follow the instructions to install the c-clips. Make the coat hanger tool like it says too. it made installing the right hand gear and spacer a snap.
12)then I installed the springs and pinion and checked the gap
13)put the tires back on and did the spin test
14) buttoned her back up and filled up the diff.

This was my first time ever opening a diff. I am very mechanically inclined (mechanical engineer) and found that just taking my time and following the instructions made for a very pain free install.

for tools I didn't need anything beyond a socket set, torque wrench, gap tool, dial caliper, flat head screwdrivers for a little prying, holding, and spring fitting, axle grease, 80w90, some shop towels, and a buddy to hold a tire while I spun it for the spin test.

I'm sorry. Stop the bus. Are my eyes seeing $2.50/hr to "rent" shop time?!?!?

WHERE IN THE :censor: ARE THESE PLACES IN SoCal!?!?

And all the tools are included, you just sign them out and back in. It's not all fun and games though... I do have to MOP the bay when I'm done. :flipoff2:

It's you tax money at work. The Army takes good care of us up here in the wasted white north. It's their form of suicide prevention I think.:cheers:

That shop is awesome man! I'm incredibly jealous.

Good to hear that the aussie install is so easy. I can't wait to put one in my FF rear, which is going in about a week or so!

Well I've got about 3 hours of driving in with the new locker and I love it so far. I haven't experienced any of the minor issues some people report.

One question for others who have a aussie in the rear...did you feel like your truck was twice as fast off the line. I know it makes sense that I will have better traction, but this feels incredible.

our parking lot at work blows as far as being plowed so all the trucks park randomly up the sides of snow banks. Lets just say, I'm king of the snow bank today.

Thats a nice autocraft shop. The bases I have been here lately dont have one or is really small and there is a waiting list.

The larger military bases have them (auto-shop). You have to take a safety class and pay minimal fees. Avaliable to DOD civilians and active duty military and I think retirees? I know Redstone Arsenal has one, but I've never been over there to check it out yet. I commute to work so its not easy to access for me. Generally they have all the common hand tools but some air tools. Some have a number of "shop tools / equipment", like a brake lathe, tire balancer....etc.

Good deal for those who are stationed there or live in the community and have access.

Well I've got about 3 hours of driving in with the new locker and I love it so far. I haven't experienced any of the minor issues some people report.

One question for others who have a aussie in the rear...did you feel like your truck was twice as fast off the line. I know it makes sense that I will have better traction, but this feels incredible.

Your first major CLUNK will scare the crap outta you, you will look in the mirror to see what chunk of metal you left on the road, but everything will be okay.

It isn't faster (quicker) I don't think, but the hook-up is different, like Posi, it dips the pass. side corner a bit due to torque wrap so it feels like you're coming off the line at a drag strip.

Oh, and I don't know if its appropriate for a civilian to say but, HOOAH!

Yes and If you're a DOD contractor now like myself since I've been out of the Marines, you can use it too. Camp Pendleton has several very nice ones all over the base.
I have an Aussi locker as well but have been a little affraid to jump into the install.

Austin, how do you like it after driving around for a month or so? Does it feel different driving around on the streets?

for tools I didn't need anything beyond a socket set, torque wrench, gap tool, dial caliper, flat head screwdrivers for a little prying, holding, and spring fitting, axle grease, 80w90, some shop towels, and a buddy to hold a tire while I spun it for the spin test.

Aussie Locker does recommend running a heavier oil than 80w90. I run 85w140 which is probably too thick but it's the only gear oil I can find that is heavier than 80w90. I installed mine a little over a year ago and love it.

Austin, how do you like it after driving around for a month or so? Does it feel different driving around on the streets?

I absolutely love it. It has been incredible so far. We've had about 30" of snow since the install and I barely ever need to put it in 4wd any more. I also towed a stuck WWII jeep out of the old training area that was so stuck in the mud that two hummvees failed to get it earlier. ( I think most of that was operator experience)

On the steets it has behaved extremely well...I don't even notice it unless it's quite and my windows are down and I'm making a sharp turn. then I hear it click a little. I like it so much I'm already shopping for another one to put in up front.

I absolutely love it. It has been incredible so far. We've had about 30" of snow since the install and I barely ever need to put it in 4wd any more. I also towed a stuck WWII jeep out of the old training area that was so stuck in the mud that two hummvees failed to get it earlier. ( I think most of that was operator experience)

On the steets it has behaved extremely well...I don't even notice it unless it's quite and my windows are down and I'm making a sharp turn. then I hear it click a little. I like it so much I'm already shopping for another one to put in up front.

Haha, that's awesome news. How are the donuts? I haven't had enough snow here to go out drifting in quite a while.

Aussie Locker does recommend running a heavier oil than 80w90. I run 85w140 which is probably too thick but it's the only gear oil I can find that is heavier than 80w90. I installed mine a little over a year ago and love it.

I read that also, but still decided to go 80-90 because of what I read here and also the fact that it was -20F the week I installed it. I feel more comfortable with the thinner gear oil. And I went with Amsoil so I'm hpoing the better quality helps.

Haha, that's awesome news. How are the donuts? I haven't had enough snow here to go out drifting in quite a while.

Only a few donuts because I've spent most of my time launching up 20' tall snow banks in the mall parking lot. Also hit a ton of snow trails out in the training area around that old jeep. had to drop the tires to 10 psi and then I just crawled right through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom