Aug. 85 FJ60 build "The Cruiser" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of my horns was loose and twisted off. The other needed a bit of prying.
I had my intake welded and both now have been resurfaced. Still waiting on egr block off plates but hoping to get things all back together in the next few weeks.
Your progress looks similar to mine.
Good wrenching!

One of my horns was loose and twisted off. The other needed a bit of prying.
I had my intake welded and both now have been resurfaced. Still waiting on egr block off plates but hoping to get things all back together in the next few weeks.
Your progress looks similar to mine.
Good wrenching!

@NeverGiveUpYota , Thanks! Yeah, I had one horn basically fall off the other took quite a bit of pounding and prying but I got it off tonight. I need to get the welding done on Monday and then off to get resurfaced. Just about have all parts in for replacement... and trying to clean, prime and paint everything while the resurfacing is going on. Gonna steam the engine bay tomorrow..( now that almost everything that could get damaged is out).. bagging a few things, but I'll be careful with the rest... man, that 30 yrs of oil,dirt, P.S. fluid and everything else is a beast to get off. Do you mind me asking how much it cost you to have welded and resurfaced? Did you have same guy do it or separate?... also, did you or are you gonna sand blast and paint? Good luck to you.. thanks for the encouragement.

Here is the easy horn...

IMG_0309.JPG

The one on the right was nasty...
IMG_0311.JPG

Sand blast and paint . Use a light color to "help" keep engine bay temps slightly lower.

These aren't the greatest photos of the intake and exhaust (they were focused on other things) but show the paint I used about 1,000 miles in. I'll get the paint specs for you tomorrow, if your interest. Pretty sure I used whatever @FJ40Jim recomended "in a thread long ago"

IMG_1148.JPG
IMG_2121.JPG

@NeverGiveUpYota , Thanks! Yeah, I had one horn basically fall off the other took quite a bit of pounding and prying but I got it off tonight. I need to get the welding done on Monday and then off to get resurfaced. Just about have all parts in for replacement... and trying to clean, prime and paint everything while the resurfacing is going on. Gonna steam the engine bay tomorrow..( now that almost everything that could get damaged is out).. bagging a few things, but I'll be careful with the rest... man, that 30 yrs of oil,dirt, P.S. fluid and everything else is a beast to get off. Do you mind me asking how much it cost you to have welded and resurfaced? Did you have same guy do it or separate?... also, did you or are you gonna sand blast and paint? Good luck to you.. thanks for the encouragement.

Here is the easy horn...

View attachment 1436534

The one on the right was nasty...
View attachment 1436535
It's all on my thread. The last few pages but... 1st weld, free, he couldn't quite get it. 2nd guy $40, he'd been welding for years, has his garage all setup for it. For the resurfacing I had to drive a good 45 mins and it cost $175. They couldn't do the horns at the same time but all appear the same depth. I've yet to install it. Prior to the weld I soaked the exhaust in a molasses and water bath. Left it for judy under 2 weeks and it removed all the rust. I only had to wire brush it and then I threw a coat of pain on it prior to resurfacing. It got dinged up fairly good (I figured it would but wanted to cover it to prevent flash rust) and I wasn't thrilled w/ the color so when I got it back I added a new coat of black. I just used the high temp stuff at advance auto. I would have preferred the graphite spray for wood stoves but I would have had to have ordered it as it was out of the stores here for the season by then.
And for the intake once it had been welded I sprayed it w/ oven cleaner and scrubbed it and washed it off w/ water and dawn soap. It looks good as new. I'm apprehensive about adding paint to it since it looks so good.
Hoping to get a bunch back together today and this upcoming week since the weather is finally on an upswing!
Good luck, and I'll keep an eye here but it looks like your doing a great job!
Felicity

Sand blast and paint . Use a light color to "help" keep engine bay temps slightly lower.

These aren't the greatest photos of the intake and exhaust (they were focused on other things) but show the paint I used about 1,000 miles in. I'll get the paint specs for you tomorrow, if your interest. Pretty sure I used whatever @FJ40Jim recomended "in a thread long ago"

View attachment 1436622 View attachment 1436623
Shoot... lighter colors to keep engine bay less hot. I wouldn't have ever thought of that. Grr.

View attachment 1436622 View attachment 1436623
Thanks, Jim!
The photos are good enough for me to see... thanks for sharing and the tips. I didn't think about the lighter paint tip. Much appreciated!

It's all on my thread. The last few pages but... 1st weld, free, he couldn't quite get it. 2nd guy $40, he'd been welding for years, has his garage all setup for it. For the resurfacing I had to drive a good 45 mins and it cost $175. They couldn't do the horns at the same time but all appear the same depth. I've yet to install it. Prior to the weld I soaked the exhaust in a molasses and water bath. Left it for judy under 2 weeks and it removed all the rust. I only had to wire brush it and then I threw a coat of pain on it prior to resurfacing. It got dinged up fairly good (I figured it would but wanted to cover it to prevent flash rust) and I wasn't thrilled w/ the color so when I got it back I added a new coat of black. I just used the high temp stuff at advance auto. I would have preferred the graphite spray for wood stoves but I would have had to have ordered it as it was out of the stores here for the season by then.
And for the intake once it had been welded I sprayed it w/ oven cleaner and scrubbed it and washed it off w/ water and dawn soap. It looks good as new. I'm apprehensive about adding paint to it since it looks so good.
Hoping to get a bunch back together today and this upcoming week since the weather is finally on an upswing!
Good luck, and I'll keep an eye here but it looks like your doing a great job!
Felicity
Thanks, Felicity!... I've been reading and following your thread, just have not got all the way through yet!.. you actually gave me confidence to do this on my own. ( never done any of it before). I consider myself a handy guy, but missed out on the grease monkey gene, and had no experience up till purchasing my 60. It's been rewarding and I'm hooked. I have a friend who is gonna weld for me, she is a welder by trade, so it should be good. I like the molasses route, but I'm under time restrictions...it's starting to warm up quickly here,(Arizona) and I'm working outside. Looking forward to seeing more of your updates! Have a good one!

I love that you have a welder who is a woman! YEAH! My wood supplier is a woman and I was thrilled to have my son see her this season drive up in her hydraulic dump truck. This wrenching is the first I have ever done as well... I love the confidence it gives me.

There's no nut where that spring is attracted to. Just the stud with the threads on the end. Good question on what it's for, if anything.

Anyway, if you install the block-off plate, the flap is going to be inoperative, so doesn't matter.

There's no nut where that spring is attracted to. Just the stud with the threads on the end. Good question on what it's for, if anything.

Anyway, if you install the block-off plate, the flap is going to be inoperative, so doesn't matter.

Ok, thanks. Seemed odd that it was corroded and no sign of a nut ever being there. Thanks, this makes it all clear. Haaha

IMG_2591.JPG

This is what I used in the earlier photos

Headers / exhaust mani use the left paint
Rustoleum ultra high heat (silver 270201)

Intake manifold and engine parts use the VHT engine enamel (SP127 Univ. Aluminum)

I used that VHT paint and it literally crackled off. Not what I'd go with again. How's your truck coming along?

I used that VHT paint and it literally crackled off. Not what I'd go with again. How's your truck coming along?
Thanks for letting me know, I used it on my valve cover...guess I'll see how it does. Things are coming along, had to get a few parts in, wait for some cash flow....kids, work.. you know:) Funny you should ask, was just gonna post some pics tonight of what I've gotten done so far.

Awesome. I look forward to your pixs! Will take my mind off mine.

Been a little caught up with work and family stuff, so I have not kept up with posts and updates...but I have gotten some one banana jobs done while waiting on my manifold to be welded and machined flat..

Replaced the old starter with a new one, all was good until I noticed their is an extra wire coming off of this starter...Any ideas? There is the clip in plug and the main wire that is bolted on... this one is all red and I'm not sure what it's for..any suggestions??

IMG_0321.JPG

Also removed and replaced my beat up old coil with a new one!
IMG_0374.JPG

Wire brushed the hell out of the fan shroud to bare metal... gonna cut in half horizontally for next time access..* per MUD recommendations *

IMG_0376.JPG

Got some things on... thermostat housing, water pump, all oil cooler hard lines & pipes, water pump pulley and fan clutch, some other hoses and clamps.

IMG_0381.JPG

Pulled distributor and cleaned it up, reinstalled, replaced broken cap with new, changed all plugs and wires

IMG_0383.JPG

Super clean. Looks awesome! No idea on that red wire. But can say unless your not into chemicals, easy oven off cleaner (aerosol can sold in grocery stores) works great to clean paint of parts. It'll eat and bubble it up so the paint is able to be wiped right off.

I really like those hose clamps too. I didn't even know to use something different when I was putting all my new hoses on. Live and learn!

Super clean. Looks awesome! No idea on that red wire. But can say unless your not into chemicals, easy oven off cleaner (aerosol can sold in grocery stores) works great to clean paint of parts. It'll eat and bubble it up so the paint is able to be wiped right off.
Thanks, oh well...I will try to figure out the wire.. good to hear about the oven cleaner, I'll give it a try if I need to repaint...bummer though, I like the red color.

I really like those hose clamps too. I didn't even know to use something different when I was putting all my new hoses on. Live and learn!
Thanks, Yeah...I love em..they don't chew up the hoses and seem to do a pretty tight seal. Plus, they are stainless..so that's a bonus too.
Hoping to get some more piddilly s*** done tomorrow..still waitin on a few parts. Got my new carb in, which I am totally fired up about, but no manifold yet, so not much I can do...or else I'll be fightin like hell to get into the tight space to install the manifold..patience..patience, Right?

Man! Just got finished reading all your work and it's awesome!!

I just need to get up the courage and start taking things apart and doing it, I've convinced myself that I don't need to pay shop labor if I don't have to for the majority of tasks that FJ60 owners are doing for general maintenance or diagnosing problems

Between yours and nevergiveupyota, as more time presents itself, I'm tinkering! With searching mud for referencing of course ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom