Audio upgrade for the 21st century (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was going to post in the What Did You Do With Your 80 thread but decided to make a separate thread since I have a lot of pictures and might be useful for others in the future.

Over the last few weeks I've been working on a major audio overhaul. Audio was never a priority and I still had most of the factory speakers for the last 7 years. I do enjoy nice sound quality but didn't know the first thing about audio equipment and would never consider myself an audiophile. I upgraded the front door speakers a while back with the cheap Pioneers that everybody recommends but that was about it. When I bought the truck it had an aftermarket deck and I just ran with it.

Now that I'm mostly done with suspension and drivetrain I decided to focus on the little things again. First off, huge thanks to @TYM4FUN I pretty much just copied what he did and he was a huge help answering a lot of my audio newb questions. Here is a list of all the components I used:

- Alpine iLX-W650 head unit
- Alpine KTA-450 amp, 50W x 4 RMS (for door/dash speakers)
- Polk DB652 6.5" coax speakers for front/rear doors
- Kicker DSC40 4" coax speakers for lower dash
- Rockford Fosgate P300-12 300W RMS powered sub
- Metra 70-1761 wiring harness
- Auto-VOX rear view camera (Amazon, about $25)
- MicroBypass Alpine Parking Brake Override

In my view this is about as simple as you could get for a good audio equipment upgrade without going too overboard.

First up was some sound deadening. Used Kilmat CLD (constrained layer damper) + Noico CCF (closed cell foam) on the outer door skins, CLD on the inner door skins and some more CCF on the door cards. I know MLV (mass loaded vinyl) is the way to go for true noise reduction but that seemed like a pain in the ass to install so I decided to skip it.

GSpDZD1.jpg

CCF over the CLD

tvHGQAjh.jpg

CLD on the inner door skins

msEDQcc.jpg

Front doors

86OAL2oh.jpg

CCF on the door cards

DxCU7oY.jpg

It's a huge difference. Before the doors sounded like hollow tin cans and now they are truly solid. It's much quieter driving down the road.

Then I started on the dash speakers. I know a lot of people get rid of these but they make a huge difference. With the right type of speakers you can hear the highs blasting from the dash vs the mids in the doors. Simple speaker swap here.

QLVOADLh.jpg

TYwXr6gh.jpg

The passenger side speakers will only fit after you remove the factory amplifier that sits on the ECU

R2WDm5nh.jpg

No fitment issues with the driver side

iY067YRh.jpg

The rear doors are the ones that involve the most work if you want to run 6.5" speakers as you need to do some cutting to enlarge the opening. After the opening was enlarged, I used some weatherstrip foam to seal the gap between the door card and the door skins as these speakers will now mount ON TOP of the door panel vs underneath like the factory setup. This is the foam I used from Amazon. For the front doors I ran two rows of this, essentially giving me a 1/2" tall seal.

mEGP5vnh.jpg

With that out of the way the Polks easily mount to the door panel with new holes and longer screws. These things sound amazing with the 50w to each channel.

ZDUfPhlh.jpg

Front speakers are drama-free. Plenty of clearance with the door closed too.

Mgz5TO1h.jpg

Now the head unit. This is a mech-less receiver which means it's digital only and has no CD player. This allows it to be super slim. The matching Alpine amp mounts directly behind the deck and gives a very compact package. Even with the amp back there, this package is still slimmer than your standard single DIN CD player. Having the amp behind the deck makes wiring that much easier and allows to use all factory wiring with the Metra harness.

kBEbdjz.jpg

Soldering everything to make it look pretty.

kFGLK6Nh.jpg

Here's the entire setup, soldered and wrapped. As you can see there are very few connections to make once you have it all wired up. The two plugs at the bottom plug into your factory harness. Then you have your subwoofer/camera inputs and power/ground for the power pack amp. Oh and the other little plug you see sticking out is for my sub's amp remote power.

zrRrFcD.jpg

The Rockford sub. This thing sounds awesome. Very hard bass kicks vs annoying boom boom lowrider bass. The box is mounted upside down to fit better against my fridge, that is why you see the wiring harness going up and over the box. I still need to figure out some brackets or straps to secure this in place.

wvV9JcLh.jpg

The head unit itself is great. Has all the modern features and does Apple Car Play/Android Auto. I'm a huge fan of Android Auto for the various app integrations but Google Maps takes the cake. It's hard to not have AA once you've gotten used to it. I only wish Gaia would be added to the support list!

1zypt3Yh.jpg

$25 Amazon back up cam works well. The front camera port is currently unused, will eventually install one on the front bumper somewhere.

AXuljJIh.jpg

Google Maps via Android Auto.

pnOe5J8h.jpg

I still need to learn how to tune the amps and EQ but so far everything sounds great. I can turn the volume up all the way and have no distortion from the door/dash speakers. The HPF on the door speakers is set to 80 Hz. Anyway, hope this is helpful and makes you guys spend some money :cheers:

Last edited:
Looks Awesome. I am gogin to start on mine next weekend, same Alpine unit. Was waiting ont he speakers, but now that you go that Figured out i'll move forward. BTW did you use the stock/OEM speaker wires? If so I imagine they sound pretty good.

I've been looking at doing the same setup minus the huge sub (going for one of the underseat jobs just to help a bit and not lose any cargo room). How's the head unit so far? I've heard some reports of them being a bit laggy but normally that stuff gets overblown.

I like, I'll copy what you did, thanks.

Thanks for the write-up. I've been looking for a minimalistic Android Auto head unit with a capacitive touchscreen and 2 camera inputs. This looks perfect. Merry X-mas to me. :santa:

I was going to post in the What Did You Do With Your 80 thread but decided to make a separate thread since I have a lot of pictures and might be useful for others in the future.

Over the last few weeks I've been working on a major audio overhaul. Audio was never a priority and I still had most of the factory speakers for the last 7 years. I do enjoy nice sound quality but didn't know the first thing about audio equipment and would never consider myself an audiophile. I upgraded the front door speakers a while back with the cheap Pioneers that everybody recommends but that was about it. When I bought the truck it had an aftermarket deck and I just ran with it.

Now that I'm mostly done with suspension and drivetrain I decided to focus on the little things again. First off, huge thanks to @TYM4FUN I pretty much just copied what he did and he was a huge help answering a lot of my audio newb questions. Here is a list of all the components I used:

- Alpine iLX-W650 head unit
- Alpine KTA-450 amp, 50W x 4 RMS (for door/dash speakers)
- Polk DB652 6.5" coax speakers for front/rear doors
- Kicker DSC40 4" coax speakers for lower dash
- Rockford Fosgate P300-12 300W RMS powered sub
- Metra 70-1761 wiring harness
- Auto-VOX rear view camera (Amazon, about $25)
- MicroBypass Alpine Parking Brake Override

In my view this is about as simple as you could get for a good audio equipment upgrade without going too overboard.

First up was some sound deadening. Used CLP+CCF on the outer door skins, CLP on the inner door skins and some more CCF on the door cards. I know MLV is the way to go for true noise reduction but that seemed like a pain in the ass to install so I decided to skip it.

GSpDZD1.jpg

CCF over the CLP

tvHGQAjh.jpg

CLP on the inner door skins

msEDQcc.jpg

Front doors

86OAL2oh.jpg

CCF on the door cards

DxCU7oY.jpg

It's a huge difference. Before the doors sounded like hollow tin cans and now they are truly solid. It's much quieter driving down the road.

Then I started on the dash speakers. I know a lot of people get rid of these but they make a huge difference. With the right type of speakers you can hear the highs blasting from the dash vs the mids in the doors. Simple speaker swap here.

QLVOADLh.jpg

TYwXr6gh.jpg

The passenger side speakers will only fit after you remove the factory amplifier that sits on the ECU

R2WDm5nh.jpg

No fitment issues with the driver side

iY067YRh.jpg

The rear doors are the ones that involve the most work if you want to run 6.5" speakers as you need to do some cutting to enlarge the opening. After the opening was enlarged, I used some weatherstrip foam to seal the gap between the door card and the door skins as these speakers will now mount ON TOP of the door panel vs underneath like the factory setup. This is the foam I used from Amazon. For the front doors I ran two rows of this, essentially giving me a 1/2" tall seal.

mEGP5vnh.jpg

With that out of the way the Polks easily mount to the door panel with new holes and longer screws. These things sound amazing with the 50w to each channel.

ZDUfPhlh.jpg

Front speakers are drama-free. Plenty of clearance with the door closed too.

Mgz5TO1h.jpg

Now the head unit. This is a mech-less receiver which means it's digital only and has no CD player. This allows it to be super slim. The matching Alpine amp mounts directly behind the deck and gives a very compact package. Even with the amp back there, this package is still slimmer than your standard single DIN CD player. Having the amp behind the deck makes wiring that much easier and allows to use all factory wiring with the Metra harness.

kBEbdjz.jpg

Soldering everything to make it look pretty.

kFGLK6Nh.jpg

Here's the entire setup, soldered and wrapped. As you can see there are very few connections to make once you have it all wired up. The two plugs at the bottom plug into your factory harness. Then you have your subwoofer/camera inputs and power/ground for the power pack amp. Oh and the other little plug you see sticking out is for my sub's amp remote power.

zrRrFcD.jpg

The Rockford sub. This thing sounds awesome. Very hard bass kicks vs annoying boom boom lowrider bass. The box is mounted upside down to fit better against my fridge, that is why you see the wiring harness going up and over the box. I still need to figure out some brackets or straps to secure this in place.

wvV9JcLh.jpg

The head unit itself is great. Has all the modern features and does Apple Car Play/Android Auto. I'm a huge fan of Android Auto for the various app integrations but Google Maps takes the cake. It's hard to not have AA once you've gotten used to it. I only wish Gaia would be added to the support list!

1zypt3Yh.jpg

$25 Amazon back up cam works well. The front camera port is currently unused, will eventually install one on the front bumper somewhere.

AXuljJIh.jpg

Google Maps via Android Auto.

pnOe5J8h.jpg

I still need to learn how to tune the amps and EQ but so far everything sounds great. I can turn the volume up all the way and have no distortion from the door/dash speakers. The HPF on the door speakers is set to 80 Hz. Anyway, hope this is helpful and makes you guys spend some money :cheers:

Great job Jose.

How have you not already done this upgrade?

Bass is a necessity for the trail.

I am saddened that you didn't go with morel speakers and a velodyne subwoofer and vintage McIntosh/zapco amps, though.

J/k

@jcardona1 on the CCF CLP, I dont really know exactly what either of those are. I made some guesses that one is butyl and the other is foam. There are a lot of thicknesses though so what thickness did you use?

Looks Awesome. I am gogin to start on mine next weekend, same Alpine unit. Was waiting ont he speakers, but now that you go that Figured out i'll move forward. BTW did you use the stock/OEM speaker wires? If so I imagine they sound pretty good.

Yup, all wiring to speakers is factory, did not mess with any wiring beyond the stereo.

I've been looking at doing the same setup minus the huge sub (going for one of the underseat jobs just to help a bit and not lose any cargo room). How's the head unit so far? I've heard some reports of them being a bit laggy but normally that stuff gets overblown.

I don't have a lot of driving time with the new radio since this isn't a daily but I did put about 6hrs on it this weekend. So far so good, no issues with the head unit. My only real complaint is the viewing angle and not related to the Alpine itself. The dash layout of the 80 doesn't really lend itself well to having maps/navigation so low. It really needs to be up higher like modern cars.

How have you not already done this upgrade?

Bass is a necessity for the trail.

I am saddened that you didn't go with morel speakers and a velodyne subwoofer and vintage McIntosh/zapco amps, though.

J/k

No kidding! Can't believe all this trail time was done without bass. Now I can drown out the noise from the heims and coilovers.

@jcardona1 on the CCF CLP, I dont really know exactly what either of those are. I made some guesses that one is butyl and the other is foam. There are a lot of thicknesses though so what thickness did you use?

CCF = closed cell foam.
CLD = constrained layer damper. Sorry had a typo earlier and put CLP. This is the butyl/aluminum foil looking deadening material.

For CCF I used Noico 150mil.
For CLD I used Kilmat 50mil. I had a lot left over so I used two layers just because. So 100mil of CLD.

Great write up, thank you!

How did you run the wiring for the back-up camera? I've been thinking about installing one.

Thanks! I used the standard license plate backup camera so the wiring goes through the tailgate and pops out of the wiring harness under the cab. I then made a small hole to the rear of the rear wheel wheel to bring the wiring into the cab. Ran it under the carpet along the wheel well then into the sill plates along with my amp wiring.

Last edited:
For those that want to use the matching Polk 402 DB+ 4" speakers in the dash rather than the Kickers you'll need an adapter plate as the mounting ears are not quite long enough to match the factory mount spacing.

I can also confirm the Polk's DB652's clear a '97 door brace just fine as long as you top mount them and don't try to retain the factory grills.

Mounting bracket STL can be found here in 24 hours (thingiverse wants me to wait 24 hours before publishing ) :

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 9.39.56 PM.png

I've an Alpine KTA-450 on the way - once it arrives I'll knock up a bracket to mount that to the Sony XAV-AX100 that's pretty popular as a replacement head unit (and what's currently in my truck).

For those that want to use the matching Polk 402 DB+ 4" speakers in the dash rather than the Kickers you'll need an adapter plate as the mounting ears are not quite long enough to match the factory mount spacing.

I can also confirm the Polk's DB652's clear a '97 door brace just fine as long as you top mount them and don't try to retain the factory grills.

Mounting bracket STL can be found here in 24 hours (thingiverse wants me to wait 24 hours before publishing ) :

View attachment 2189448

I've an Alpine KTA-450 on the way - once it arrives I'll knock up a bracket to mount that to the Sony XAV-AX100 that's pretty popular as a replacement head unit (and what's currently in my truck).

Nice!

This is so helpful. I’m currently trying to replace my door speakers with Infinity Reference REF-6532ex in both front and rear doors. Crutchfield told me I couldn’t replace the 4” dash speakers easily. This shows me it can be done. Thank you so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom