AT KO2 vs. MT KM2 vs. MT KM3. Opinions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hey I am debating between BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2, Mud-Terrain KM2, AND Mud-Terrain KM3.

Which do you recommend, and why? All things considered: Looks, wear life, snow, noise, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input.

What vehicle? What size? What use?

For my daily driver and long distance "overlanding" Toyota Tacoma 4wd pu I use 265/75R15 Cooper Discovery AT3 tires (31.5 inch tall aggressive radial AT tread tires.) On my FJ40 trail rig I run 33x12.5R15 Interco SuperSwamper TSL tires (very aggressive bias-ply mud tires.)

B.F. Goodrich brand tires are generally a decent choice, but rather "middle of the road" in performance. Not the best or the worse off-road or on-road. I have run both the BFG MT and AT tires in years past.

Good luck!

Alan

What vehicle? What size? What use?

For my daily driver and long distance "overlanding" Toyota Tacoma 4wd pu I use 265/75R15 Cooper Discovery AT3 tires (31.5 inch tall aggressive radial AT tread tires.) On my FJ40 trail rig I run 33x12.5R15 Interco SuperSwamper TSL tires (very aggressive bias-ply mud tires.)

B.F. Goodrich brand tires are generally a decent choice, but rather "middle of the road" in performance. Not the best or the worse off-road or on-road. I have run both the BFG MT and AT tires in years past.

Good luck!

Alan
Thanks. I've used both as well. XJ Jeep with ATs, FJ40 with super old version of the MTs.

This is for my FJ40. Mostly on road, but some light offroading here and there.

BTW, aren't 33x12.5r15 way too wide for stock steel wheels? Discount Tire was too scared to mount 33x9.5 or 33x10.5 on my wheels.

Bfg has left me disappointed. More than once. The latest were km2, basically turrible. I have since gone to Cooper stt pros. 37x13.5x17 I'm running them on FJC alloys that are 7.5. If discount is balking, go somewhere else.

Sounds like a decent AT tread tire is the way to go with your FJ40. BFG, Cooper, there are many decent AT tires out there.

Yes, running aftermarket 15x8 inch wheels with the TSLs.

>This is for my FJ40. Mostly on road, but some light offroading here and there.

>BTW, aren't 33x12.5r15 way too wide for stock steel wheels? Discount Tire was too scared to mount 33x9.5 or 33x10.5 on my wheels.[/QUOTE]

I’d love to see an unbiased KM3 review where the reviewer hasn’t gotten a free set from BFG. The interwebs are saturated with KM3 reviews from users who got a free swag set. I know they came out over the summer, but I’ve yet to hear how they deal with snow. As a MT you can’t expect a Blizzak performance, but it’s just nothing but crickets on the snow performance.

Hey I am debating between BFGoodrich All-Terrain KO2, Mud-Terrain KM2, AND Mud-Terrain KM3.

Which do you recommend, and why? All things considered: Looks, wear life, snow, noise, etc.

I'll say that I've never seen worse side walls than those on the KM2. On one wheeling trip with friends we had three sidewall tears on two different trucks (three tires in total). Not on the same parts of the trails. Fluke? Maybe, but that convinced me to never run them.
I'm not sure if the new KO2 has had its tread cracking issue resolved, but I know a few people and have read of a lot more returning their tires for that issue. I have no experience with the KM3, but do have some with the new KR3: they're just amazing (in the sticky version). Great sidewalls, and phenomenal grip in the wet and dry (obviously useless in the snow).

Last edited:
KM3s are not winter tires. I have them, not great for snow. My old KO2s were 10x better in snow.

The KO2s and KM3s both have awesome sidewalls. My earlier KOs lasted a month before killing a sidewalls at the BHCC.

We had Cooper AT3s on the GX470, but prefer the KO2s we bought last year. Quieter ride, better in snow. Have no complaints with the STT Pros on the BJ74, but the diesel drowns out any road noise ;)

I have 31" BFG KO2's on my stock FJ40 and love them. I do drive it year round in a Colorado ski town (Crested Butte) so it sees all conditions: snow, ice, highway miles, and summer camping and trail use on high mountain Colorado trails that are rated in the middle range at best on a 1-10 scale. They are a great tire for for a daily driver/weekend warrior.
My main daily driver is a fairly built, double locked and geared '89 Toyota pickup. I run 35" KM2's on it. I have had these tires siped and they are still scary during the winter. I picked up a set of General Grabber AT2's for cheap to run as my winter tires. These are not nearly as good as the KO2's I have on my Landcruiser. The KO's have better traction in all conditions. I love these tires and I have no concerns with them for where I take the 40. The problem is: the C Rated 15" tires only have a 2 ply sidewall. If the KO2's came with a 3 ply sidewall in a 35/12.50r15 I would be running them year round as well on my pickup.

I’ve have had KM2’s on a Jeep and currently have them on my 40.

We have KM3’s in the 80.

My opinion is I have not been impressed with the KM3. Not very quiet, and not great in snow. We only have a few thousand miles on them, but I’m contemplating selling them.

My new favorite is the Cooper STT Pro, that we have on the 60. Look awesome, quiet, smooth, and I just drove through our dirt road that is currently solid ice 1/2 mile long. Made it most of the way in 2wd.

Just might consider theFalken Wild Peak AT3w. I just put a set of these on my Chevy 4x4 and and made a 1000 mi trip. Quiet, and has similar tread pattern as BFG Ko2. I like the siping for anticipated snow trips. My .02

KO2 has been great for me. The road manners are great. I wheel my 40 and 100 with a set and these are great tires for the medium wheeler. I thought about waiting for KM3 to release and so far haven't regretted getting KO2 instead

I also run the BFG ko2 33-10.50-15 on my 40 and love them.

Just might consider theFalken Wild Peak AT3w. I just put a set of these on my Chevy 4x4 and and made a 1000 mi trip. Quiet, and has similar tread pattern as BFG Ko2. I like the siping for anticipated snow trips. My .02
I have 285/75/16 ko2 on my FJ. 26k miles so far

How would you compare rhe wild peak? Are they c or e load? Our ko2 is e load

I’d love to see an unbiased KM3 review where the reviewer hasn’t gotten a free set from BFG. The interwebs are saturated with KM3 reviews from users who got a free swag set. I know they came out over the summer, but I’ve yet to hear how they deal with snow. As a MT you can’t expect a Blizzak performance, but it’s just nothing but crickets on the snow performance.

I’ll be your huckleberry

I went from KM2 to KM3 in 33x10.50-15

My KM2 were great tires but they got loud pretty quick. They measure out 31.5” at 32# on a 15 x 7 wheel.

KM3 blew me away with how well they performed. On and off road and so quiet.

However. IN the 33x10.50 -15 flavor they measure a paltry 30.5” tall at 32# on same wheel.

That’s a joke and a bad one.

Once I realized how tiny they were I replaced them. I just could not stand to look at them anymore.

For the OPs use I would get KO2. Best AT tire on the planet.

I’m not sure if all the KM3 sizes are so screwed up small so others may find them ok.

anymore thoughts on these tires?

I currently am running 285/75/16 KOs but am starting to think of the next set. I live in an area that does get snow a couple times a yea.

Was considering a Mud tire...maybe KM3 (pricey) or a Cooper or a KO2 (but was looking for something different) Nitto Ridge?

anymore thoughts on these tires?

I currently am running 285/75/16 KOs but am starting to think of the next set. I live in an area that does get snow a couple times a yea.

Was considering a Mud tire...maybe KM3 (pricey) or a Cooper or a KO2 (but was looking for something different) Nitto Ridge?

You want something different? Yokohama MT G003. Quite a few are switching to them. I love them. So far they have been good in all but straight up ice. Sand, mud, snow, pavement. Quiet and smooth and great traction. I highly prefer these over the BFG's I've had in the past. (although I've never run KM3's)

@wngrog has run quite a few sets of these.

Geolandar M/T G003 | Mud Terrain Tire | Yokohama Tire

1.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom