Ask Your iPad Nav questions in this thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is an interesting item:

ipod PAC IS76PRO A/V Cable with Wireless RF Remote and 2.1 Amp Charging for iPod, iPhone or iPad. The IS76 PRO is connected to the vehicle’s electrical system by a simple two wire connection. Connect to a factory or aftermarket A/V system to display

I am wondering with the rear DVD if there is an AUX RCA I could use on my OEM stereo (non-NAV). I haven't torn apart my dash but will confirm. Would be nice to have the iPad through my non-BT head unit without swapping to aftermarket.

Dan save yourself $50 Amazon.com: iSimple IS76 MediaWire iPod/iPhone Interface Cable: MP3 Players & Accessories

But that one doesn't charge?

Cool. Now the fun part....anyone know if the OEM GX head unit has RCA inputs?

Ok guys, help me out. I have Ihike and a few other gps/topo apps on my 3G iPad but I am confused about using it practically off-road. From the web, I found out that as long as I have 3G coverage (through Verizon) I can use the program. That's great and dandy, but most, well all, the places I camp, explore, and wheel are too far out for 3G or even a phone signal so the gps-topo apps don't work on my iPad without 3G.

I would assume there is some type of hardware out there that I can Bluetooth to get a signal to my gps. I don't have a lot to spend but can someone direct me to what I need to get to allow my iPad to work as a gps unit When out of cell tower range? I still have my GPS V and Gpsmap 160, not to mention physical maps to use, but the image and resolution is fantastic on the iPad and I would like to you it to it's full potential.

Beside that one for a 100 bucks ... Bad elf, would this work? http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Bluetooth-GPS-Receiver-Canada/dp/B000HZI2YY

Last edited:
as a tag on to the above post..... are these tablet devices dependant on the celluar signal for GPS functionality? Seems couterproductive if true. Logically offraod you would not want to have this functionality tied to cell phone recpetion.

Slick et al,

The GPS functionality of the iPad 3G is NOT dependent on 3G coverage. The 3G model iPads are the only versions with a GPS chipset. The wifi only models use wifi triangulation. If you have a 3G iPad you DON'T need any additional gps hardware.

There are 3 types of apps you can use on the iPad.

Apps that are 3G dependent like Google Maps. No coverage no mapping.

Apps that can cache maps for offline/no coverage like Motion X GPS HD. You download area maps via 3G or wifi prior to loss of coverage or during per planning f the trip.

Apps that carry all the mapping in memory like ScenicMaps. All maps Are ready to go.

The last two types are suitable for off road / remote area navigation.

Sent from my iPad 2 using IH8MUD

RobRed said:
Slick et al,

The GPS functionality of the iPad 3G is NOT dependent on 3G coverage. The 3G model iPads are the only versions with a GPS chipset. The wifi only models use wifi triangulation. If you have a 3G iPad you DON'T need any additional gps hardware.

Apps that can cache maps for offline/no coverage like Motion X GPS HD. You download area maps via 3G or wifi prior to loss of coverage or during per planning f the trip.

Apps that carry all the mapping in memory like ScenicMaps. All maps Are ready to go.

Thanks. I

Sent from my iPad communicator

So given that....then the IPAD device with internal GPS needs to be mounted such that it has clear view of the sky? Or I assume you might use one of thos bluetooth GPS reciever anteannas...but not sure how long battery life is.

when I say clear view of the sky I'm generally talking about on top of the dash pad or in the general area...as opposed to farther back to the rear of the windshield area.

Slick et al,

I ran this weekend with the ipad near the shifter and never lost signal, even in thick cover during a thunderstorm.

So given that....then the IPAD device with internal GPS needs to be mounted such that it has clear view of the sky? Or I assume you might use one of thos bluetooth GPS reciever anteannas...but not sure how long battery life is.

when I say clear view of the sky I'm generally talking about on top of the dash pad or in the general area...as opposed to farther back to the rear of the windshield area.

Elbert you dont need to be terribly picky about the location. See Dan's comment above. Obviously the better the view the less likely to have issues but I ran mine in the equivalent place (near shifter) for nearly two years in my Audi, and never had issues

Elbert you dont need to be terribly picky about the location. See Dan's comment above. Obviously the better the view the less likely to have issues but I ran mine in the equivalent place (near shifter) for nearly two years in my Audi, and never had issues

OK... thanks for the info...

I'll keep tracking / reading this and similar threads. The IPAD with GPS maybe the onestop solution.

I gotta have something with a bigger screen and easier to read, and be dependable / user friendly...etc. IPAD sounds like the solution.

Another question... wondering about GPS software support for the IPAD?

Vehicle mount support?

I've only seen an IPAD...not ever really used one, but I assume very light weight and user friendly as for as operation.

Thanks for the feeback....I just want to make sure I'm getting what would be a workable solution.

by GPS software support I was referring to the off-road land nav software applications.

I have looked through the apple web site...but the ? is...does the Ipad have a 12dc charger adapter?

Last edited:
of course.

Rob, Et al... I have added some information here below in Red.

Slick et al,

The GPS functionality of the iPad 3G is NOT dependent on 3G coverage. The 3G model iPads are the only versions with a GPS chipset. The wifi only models use wifi triangulation. If you have a 3G iPad you DON'T need any additional gps hardware. True, however, a lot of people are still adding a bluetooth GPS puck to the 3G ipads. With the addition of a bluetooth GPS either unit (3G or wifi only models) can be used for off road navigation with out worrying if you will have cell coverage. IMO this negated the need for a 3G model ipad.

Apps that are 3G dependent like Google Maps. No coverage no mapping. Not true. If you have a gps puck like mentioned above, you can use the ipad to locate yourself in google earth. In order to use the high res images found in google earth you can download the area you will be traveling ahead of time and store them in the cache for use when no coverage is available. Pretty cool actually. People have been doing this for years with laptops...

For example: GooPs Technologies | GPS Tracking and Navigation for Google Earth

The last two types are suitable for off road / remote area navigation. See above if you want to use google earth.

There are a bunch of very long threads over on Expo Portal on the ipad topic if people want more info. I havnt used my ipad for overland...well, because I started using Backcountry Navigator on my Droid and it has done everything I wanted. In fact it is all I use any more and I have considered getting a Droid tablet just to use it on a larger screen.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom