Ask Your iPad Nav questions in this thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I downloaded it yesterday and just briefly played around with it. Not sure if I like the map caching. Seems like as you drag the map around it caches those tiles that you're viewing. Might be ok for a backpacker where you have a limited range. LC expeditions, however, are a bit more random. Not sure I have the patience to do all that dragging around to get a complete set.

I do really like the map quality compared to MotionX. Not as many bells and whistles in the application though.

Oregon - I've been talking with Full Power and v17 of Motion X will be out next month. I'm told we will be "very pleased". I've passed on other suggestions and data for there consideration. I've also offered to go to there office for in person discussions.

Oregon - I've been talking with Full Power and v17 of Motion X will be out next month. I'm told we will be "very pleased". I've passed on other suggestions and data for there consideration. I've also offered to go to there office for in person discussions.

Nice Rob! I'll be excited to see it/download it. Any word on what the updates might be. Seems like they're the clear leader in the market right now for the iPad.

Downloadable maps. Interface changes. :D

Nice! Downloadable as in alternate or just that you don't have to go through the all-night-long tile process?

Downloadable maps. Interface changes. :D

X a million. That would get me to using the iPad for the reason I originally bought it. Not holding my breath though...I've been gasping since holding it for the past 16-months. But who's counting :D

X a million. That would get me to using the iPad for the reason I originally bought it. Not holding my breath though...I've been gasping since holding it for the past 16-months. But who's counting :D

Dan, have you used MotionX? You can already download maps. It's just very slow and it's their 'metric' maps. However, their current maps appear to be very much up to date and accurate. Only a few times have I seen a displacement between real position and displayed road.

I guess I should have been clearer.... Additional downloadable maps.

The current map tile download speed issues stem from third party providers AND users not understanding the most efficient way to get the maps they want. Don't download 16 level zoom, it doesn't add any detail. When I download MotionX Terrain maps I use 9/15 zoom and keep the radius to about 100 miles. The difference is often 400MB vs 1.5 GB. You can have adjacent and over lapping maps and MotionX seamlessly uses them.

My strategy thus far has been to download my region (OR/WA) at 3/14 as a base set and then 15 for a specific trip route. I tend to wheel on a whim and consequently like to have the whole cadre of options stored locally.

Dan, have you used MotionX? You can already download maps. It's just very slow and it's their 'metric' maps. However, their current maps appear to be very much up to date and accurate. Only a few times have I seen a displacement between real position and displayed road.

Yes.

Our application is a little different than what the iPad (and the topo apps) was surely designed to accommodate; and quite possibly very different from even the average off-road topo user. However if a map app can be developed so that 1:24,000/7.5 minute maps can be locally pushed into the device, say from a USB drive, for at least a dozen (preferably the western USA) states then there is hope for me. Ditto for many of my off-roading friends. And I'm willing to pay a fair price for a map system like I describe.

For instance: We often take off not knowing much about where we'll end up. We just returned from a 4,200 mile foray that took us through 7-states. We seldom know exactly where we will be and hence the need for a NG type Topo map system on board the device.

I think the hardware portion of the iPad is quite nice...but I do wonder how the glass would hold up with layers of dust over it and the hundreds of finger swipes apart of how and where we use our GPS devices.

Yes.

Our application is a little different than what the iPad (and the topo apps) was surely designed to accommodate; and quite possibly very different from even the average off-road topo user. However if a map app can be developed so that 1:24,000/7.5 minute maps can be locally pushed into the device, say from a USB drive, for at least a dozen (preferably the western USA) states then there is hope for me. Ditto for many of my off-roading friends. And I'm willing to pay a fair price for a map system like I describe.

For instance: We often take off not knowing much about where we'll end up. We just returned from a 4,200 mile foray that took us through 7-states. We seldom know exactly where we will be and hence the need for a NG type Topo map system on board the device.

I think the hardware portion of the iPad is quite nice...but I do wonder how the glass would hold up with layers of dust over it and the hundreds of finger swipes apart of how and where we use our GPS devices.

We'll have to see what the sync speed is like on the next update. I keep a 2-state area on my 64G which is more than enough for where I roam. To do this on the fly would require at least an overnight sync. Or you could 3G on the fly if you have coverage.

Just get an adhesive cover. They dull the screen a little but protect it from everything.

The key to this exercise is that a high quality vendor is listening and interested in what we do.

Here are some of the features and suggestions I have discussed with FullPOwer (MotionX).

-Clean up user interface and make certain buttons persistant like MAP and Search.

-Dedicated Quick Waypoint button on the Map screen with out dialog.

-Waypoint user prefix. Instead of Wypt 013, the ability to create a user prefix like "Rubicon" so the default point would look like "Rubicon Wypt 013"

-Geo-Fence of way points with alarms visual/audible. User selectable distances.

-Restore GPS signal lost alarm from previous version.

-Subfolders for Waypoint organization

-Pixel Zoom capability for map so features are readable while rolling

-24k/7.5 Downloadable/Cacheable Topo Maps

v17 for iphone just hit the app store

all 4 versions of Bing Maps are Downloadable now!!! They are pretty good. Not the 24k Topo but a very nice addition. Completed a quick test; Bing Terrain, 30mi radius, 8/14 zoom, 7MB file, 8 minutes over wifi. Nevada doesnt have too many terrain features ;)

Menu Now overlays the map page (better)

Last edited:
v17 for iphone just hit the app store

all 4 versions of Bing Maps are Downloadable now!!! They are pretty good. Not the 24k Topo but a very nice addition. Completed a quick test; Bing Terrain, 30mi radius, 8/14 zoom, 7MB file, 8 minutes over wifi. Nevada doesnt have too many terrain features ;)

Menu Now overlays the map page (better)

So it is just me or is v17 only available for the phone? I only see 16.5 for the pad.

I just started using the newest version of CoPilot and found it to be good so far and for $25 it is a lot less than a dedicated GPS unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom