ARB Install question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone here in Boise Idaho, or do you know anyone here in Idaho, who has experience installing ARB lockers besides the 4x4 shops (obviously :D )?

I'm not in Boise (NorCal), but have installed a pair of ARB's... there are some excellent tech articles on the web with tips, photos, etc.....

Here's my feeling on doing your own ARB's...

If you are ONLY replacing the carrier and carrier bearings, you will need only basic tools, drill motor, tap for the air line, dial indicator, torque wrench, carrier preload nut adjustment tool (can be made at home real cheap). Find the tech articles, study them very closely before starting... they follow the ARB instructions, but have much better explainations of why you perform each step in a particular order...

If you plan to change the ring and pinion gears, or change the pinion bearings at the same time, then the "degree of difficulty" increases as you have to set both pinion depth and ring gear position (can be done at home, will need gear marking compound, pinion shims, lots of patience, and some luck).

I have had great performance from my ARB's and recommend them to all my compadres...

Cliff

:-\

Wow. THanks for the head's up. The reason I'm asking the question is because a local shop gave me a quote of about $1200. I just want them in and to not give me problems. THanks for the info!

$1200.00..??? are they gold plating the ARB's..??? A competant mechanic (with ARB experience) can easily set one up in three hours... at $80/hour that's only $240 per diff (and there is virtually no material costs if you already own the ARB's.... if you don't do it yourself, get more bids...!!!!

for $1200 I expect bikini clad dancing girls to entertain in the waiting room of the shop..!!!

I'm ordering the rear ARB and compressor for my FJ60 thsi weekend...where are some good tech writeups on the web? I took a quick look here, and didn't see any right away. Just the instructions that were scanned in...

thanks

Cardinal FJ60

[quote author=cmilliron link=board=1;threadid=4325;start=msg32465#msg32465 date=1060983440]
$1200.00..??? are they gold plating the ARB's..??? A competant mechanic (with ARB experience) can easily set one up in three hours... at $80/hour that's only $240 per diff (and there is virtually no material costs if you already own the ARB's.... if you don't do it yourself, get more bids...!!!!

for $1200 I expect bikini clad dancing girls to entertain in the waiting room of the shop..!!!
[/quote]

Hell yeah! That's what I was thinking! :D Honestly, I'll just take my time and keep looking around...it will work out.

Hi

What is the best/cheapest place to get a pair of ARB's for my BJ40. I'm from Portugal and i would like to know if it's worth order it frum USA, Australia, or some other palce.

And also what is the expected price for them?? i think they are 30 spline and in the rear it has C-clips on it?

[quote author=cmilliron link=board=1;threadid=4325;start=msg32465#msg32465 date=1060983440]

[/quote]

really $1200 isn't that far off, $600ish for the ARB, $200(or a bit less) for the compressor, $100 for a install kit(new bearings and such, add a OEM gasket for the 3rd) and then labor. $900 in parts, $300 for labor.......not that far(if any) out of line IMOP. I also expect the $1200 included not only setting up the ARB but also running the air line, mounting compressor, running the wires and mounting swtiches.......this however is all stuff you can do yourself, but if a shop does it it takes time.

John H (with 5 ARBs)

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=4325;start=msg32572#msg32572 date=1061046516]
really $1200 isn't that far off, $600ish for the ARB, $200(or a bit less) for the compressor, $100 for a install kit(new bearings and such, add a OEM gasket for the 3rd) and then labor. $900 in parts, $300 for labor.......not that far(if any) out of line IMOP. I also expect the $1200 included not only setting up the ARB but also running the air line, mounting compressor, running the wires and mounting swtiches.......this however is all stuff you can do yourself, but if a shop does it it takes time.

John H (with 5 ARBs)
[/quote]

Your right about the prices, but I already have the lockers and compressor...SO...$1200 to install on top of what I paid for hardware is disheartening.

[quote author=72tlcnelson link=board=1;threadid=4325;start=msg32641#msg32641 date=1061075756]
Your right about the prices, but I already have the lockers and compressor...SO...$1200 to install on top of what I paid for hardware is disheartening.
[/quote]
That really is ridiculous. I would rather do my research and take my chances with a self install than go that route.
Your other option is to sell me the lockers at 1/2 price :D ;)

[quote author=72tlcnelson link=board=1;threadid=4325;start=msg32641#msg32641 date=1061075756]
[/quote]

HOLLY CRAP! thats insane, so they want $1200 just to set up an ARB or even 2 of em is nuts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom