Anyone using an Icom IC-208H 2m? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon

glutton
SILVER Star
Threads
This looks like the 2M I want...the only thing it appears to lack is the ability to interface with PC(?). Small detachable face plate, fairly powerful for it's size and price (<$300).

Anyone using one that has a comment one way or the other?

http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/208h/

I'm looking at that one also. Good reviews at eham.com. Killer price of $254.00!

I just spent $135 for an amp for my handhelds, and I wish I could get that money back and buy this rig, but I already altered the amp.

I don't think you can go wrong on this one, but that is just the opinion I have formed after reading reviews.

I'm looking at that one also. Good reviews at eham.com. Killer price of $254.00!

I just spent $135 for an amp for my handhelds, and I wish I could get that money back and buy this rig, but I already altered the amp.

I don't think you can go wrong on this one, but that is just the opinion I have formed after reading reviews.

Yeah...I have read the reviews too and nary a bad word. In a perfect world it would be nice to have the ability to interface with a PC...they'll probably introduce the new model that provides this feature right after I buy mine :rolleyes: (it seems they are about due for a model refresh).

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will regret not having the PC interface. Trust me.

I have a 5 year old Icom IC2100 and it has a software option. WTF is with Icom.

Spend a few dollars more, get a PC programmable radio.

You can share the data file, etc. Life is so much easier.

I have never played a video game so I am push button challenged when it comes to 100+ freq's, PL's, offsets and descriptors... Pleeeease.

JB

I have never played a video game so I am push button challenged when it comes to 100+ freq's, PL's, offsets and descriptors... Pleeeease.

JB

X2 I have an Icom 8000 and manual programming SUCKS

JB

Never having programmed a radio via pc I guess I don't know what I'm missing, or talking about for that matter!

As far as video/computer games go, I have enough vices already and know enough to stay away from all of them! Some of those computer games would be have me hooked in no time flat.

Appreciate the heads up on programming via pc. How about Mac's? Can all the radio software run on them? My laptop is pc only because there was not much mapping/gps software for Mac's when I bought my laptop.

Programing radios from a PC is where it's at. Doing it manually is a horrible task.
I'd spend $50 more and get a more sophisticated radio that has additional features, like the IC270. Here's what I found on the AES website:

Icom IC2720H

ic2720h.gif

2M/70cm FM Transceiver

Provides VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF simultaneous receive along with VHF/UHF full duplex. Covers 144–148 &430–450 MHz transmit with 118–550 MHz,118–174, 375–550 & 810–999 MHz receive (cellular blocked), includes AM Aircraft band and Weather channel with Alert. Power: 50/35W (2M/70cm); 212memories (10 banks), 2 call, 10 scan edges; Auto repeater offset; Backlit remote control microphone; Independent controls for each band; 12 DTMF memories; Selectable Amber/Green display; CTCSS/DTCS encode/decode, tone scan and pocket beep; Dynamic memory scan; 1200/9600 bps 6-pin terminal connector; PC programmable with option-al software and cable. Dimensions: 5.5"w x 2"h x1.1"d; 5.29 oz. (head unit), 5.5"w x 1.6"h x 7.4"d; 3.08 lbs. (main unit)

Available Accessories:
CS2720 Windows/DOS cloning software,
MB17A Quickrelease bracket,
MB65 Mounting base platform,
MB84 Remote controller bracket,
MB85 Combination bracket,
OPC1132 9.8' DC cable,
OPC1156 11.5' separation cable,
OPC347 23' DC power cable,
OPC440 16.4' mic extension cable,
OPC441 16.4' Speaker Extension Cable,
OPC474 Radio-to-radio cloning software,
OPC478 PC RS232C cable,
OPC478UPC USB cable,
OPC589 8-pin mic jack adapter cable,
SP10 Slim-line external speaker

Programing radios from a PC is where it's at. Doing it manually is a horrible task.
I'd spend $50 more and get a more sophisticated radio that has additional features, like the IC270. Here's what I found on the AES website:

Icom IC2720H

ic2720h.gif

2M/70cm FM Transceiver

Provides VHF/VHF, UHF/UHF simultaneous receive along with VHF/UHF full duplex. Covers 144–148 &430–450 MHz transmit with 118–550 MHz,118–174, 375–550 & 810–999 MHz receive (cellular blocked), includes AM Aircraft band and Weather channel with Alert. Power: 50/35W (2M/70cm); 212memories (10 banks), 2 call, 10 scan edges; Auto repeater offset; Backlit remote control microphone; Independent controls for each band; 12 DTMF memories; Selectable Amber/Green display; CTCSS/DTCS encode/decode, tone scan and pocket beep; Dynamic memory scan; 1200/9600 bps 6-pin terminal connector; PC programmable with option-al software and cable. Dimensions: 5.5"w x 2"h x1.1"d; 5.29 oz. (head unit), 5.5"w x 1.6"h x 7.4"d; 3.08 lbs. (main unit)

Available Accessories:
CS2720 Windows/DOS cloning software,
MB17A Quickrelease bracket,
MB65 Mounting base platform,
MB84 Remote controller bracket,
MB85 Combination bracket,
OPC1132 9.8' DC cable,
OPC1156 11.5' separation cable,
OPC347 23' DC power cable,
OPC440 16.4' mic extension cable,
OPC441 16.4' Speaker Extension Cable,
OPC474 Radio-to-radio cloning software,
OPC478 PC RS232C cable,
OPC478UPC USB cable,
OPC589 8-pin mic jack adapter cable,
SP10 Slim-line external speaker

Thanks Alvaro...I actually checked the reviews on this model; there are a few luke warm reviews from users that have bought the 2720H. FYI: There seems to be a higher satisfaction factor overall with Yaesu compared to ICOM in general (although everyone seems to really like the 208H in spite of it's lack of PC link).

I think if one wants a more feature rich 2M dual band then saving up a little more for the 7800R/8800R is probably the way to go.

I've been researching this a lot. Really the 8800 is the way I'm being directed. It is a real value when you look at all the features it has for the price. Yes it is more than what you are looking at spending. but is that extra 40 or 60 dollars going to be a big deal when you are happy for several years with the radio. If you keep the thing 10 years the 4-6 per year isn't so bad.

I've been researching this a lot. Really the 8800 is the way I'm being directed. It is a real value when you look at all the features it has for the price. Yes it is more than what you are looking at spending. but is that extra 40 or 60 dollars going to be a big deal when you are happy for several years with the radio. If you keep the thing 10 years the 4-6 per year isn't so bad.

Agreed. But I really like the small face plate of the 208H...that's the biggest attraction for me. The 8800/8900 is larger/wider face plate with smaller LCD readout...but better features for not much more $. Since Icom is rebating the 208H and it intro'd in '03 I'm bett'n we'll see a new model sometime this summer...

Dan,
You've probably already bought your radio by now, so this reply may be of little use. I've had an IC-208H in my FJ-62 for about a year now. I like it a lot, for just the reasons you said: small detachable face plate, fairly powerful for it's size, and reasonably priced. Also, it's a dual bander - 2m and 70cm - which I really like. And who says it doesn't interface with a PC? You need a programming cable and Icom software (p/n CS-208), but then you're set to go. (The software is not the most user friendly by today's standards, but it is functional and does what's needed.) Oh yes, another plus: it comes with the extension cable for remotely mounting the faceplate, something that most other vendors charge for. In my FJ-62 I mounted the radio under the passenger seat and the antenna (Comet SBB1) on the rear hatch door using a Diamond K400C mount. Easy to install and all works very well. Field tested extensively on this year's NorCal Death Valley Daze run.

You can't go wrong with the IC208.

Last edited:
Dan,
You've probably already bought your radio by now, so this reply may be of little use. I've had an IC-208H in my FJ-62 for about a year now. I like it a lot, for just the reasons you said: small detachable face plate, fairly powerful for it's size, and reasonably priced. Also, it's a dual bander - 2m and 70cm - which I really like. And who says it doesn't interface with a PC? You need a programming cable and Icom software (p/n CS-208), but then you're set to go. (The software is not the most user friendly by today's standards, but it is functional and does what's needed.) Oh yes, another plus: it comes with the extension cable for remotely mounting the faceplate, something that most other vendors charge for. In my FJ-62 I mounted the radio under the passenger seat and the antenna (Comet SBB1) on the rear hatch door using a Diamond K400C mount. Easy to install and all works very well. Field tested extensively on this year's NorCal Death Valley Daze run.

You can't go wrong with the IC208.

Thanks Tom! I did get the 208H because of the dimunitive form factor and also, as you mentioned and I learned from the Icom rep at the last local HAM Fest, they do offer the PC link. I need to mount a remote speaker...and get repeater freq's programmed...but several of us used 2M during our last run to High Rock Canyon and like others have attested they work where CB's don't/didn't!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=2185907&postcount=30

Hey, very nice install!

I'm planning one for my 80 series.

Not to hijack the thread but just how many frequencies are you radioheads programing into your radio and how often are you changing them?

It doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to put in more than I need, add new ones, and change them.

Getting ready for Rubithon I programmed a few new frequencies in a couple minutes at most. (Yaesu 2800M)

"...just how many frequencies are you radioheads programing into your radio and how often are you changing them?"

I've got about 20 or 25 frequencies programmed into my IC-208H dual bander. Most of those I put there by hand and you're right, it didn't take all that long. I also added 6 character mnemonic names like PLCRVL for the repeater in Placerville that covers the Rubicon (that repeater even reaches to my house in Mill Valley!) or CARL-SF for the C.A.R.L.A. system repeater in San Francisco (see www.carlaradio.net). The mnemonics certainly aid my old brain and beats trying memorize all the frequencies. On the IC-208 this means you also have to access another menu to enable the alphanumeric display instead of frequency display (same menu where you set the PL tone, so it's no big deal). And then I'm planning to set up a couple of scan memories so when I'm on the road and want to catch some radio traffic I can scan local repeaters plus the national simplex and NorCal (146.460) frequencies. (These radios are good at scanning too.) I also have a handi talkie - 2 meter only - and I like to keep the same data in it too. The programming software just makes it easier and faster to do all of this. I can fire up the program, add any new data to the saved existing data, then blast it into the radio memory.

Things aren't perfect though. The software for the Icom is not the same as for the Yaesu handi talkie. So you've got to import/export/cut/paste between the two programs. If I had three radios, unless they were identical, it would be likely I would have to have three different programs. Ideally one software application would understand how to program all radios, but nothing like that is available yet. Also, the Icom software is relatively primitive because you can't cut and paste lots of data at once.

You also need a "programming cable" to go between your computer and the radio. I built my own and it works with most brands of VHF/UHF radios. Unlike the software, you basically only need one of these no matter the number of radios. It's really more than just a cable. On the computer side it's a USB interface (or an older serial interface, but I recommend USB). On the radio side it's TTL (transistor-transistor logic - 0v for a logical 0 and +5v for a logical 1). Different radios use different connectors, but TTL is the defacto standard electrical interface for all VHF/UHF radios except Kenwood. ttl2usb.com makes a good commercially-available programming cable. You buy one set of electronics and then a different $10 connector cable for the different radios you have. The device drivers for the USB interface chip that the TTL2USB-brand box uses are acknowledged as one of the best and come in versions for Windows, OS X, and Linux.

That's about it for radio programming. Certainly more of a convenience than a necessity, but as you add more and more frequencies it's nice to have.

Tom,

That pretty much sums it up.
I have about 12 frequencies on my radios. Having said that, the only frequencies that I currently have on it are frequencies from where I live.
I plan to keep adding repeaters using a nomenclature that makes sense to me. One thing that I like about the radio programing software is that you can print out your frequency list as you would a spreadsheet. That way I can have a hard backup of whatever is on my radio.

Regards

Alvaro

Just a follow up and rant.

My bought new ICOM 208H is 15-months old. Lately I've been experiencing an issue with the main mic switch. It sometimes allows transmissions and sometimes doesn't. Really jamming your finger into the switch seems to help but not totally.

Anyway I contacted ICOM today about it. Their response: "It comes with a 12-month warranty. And if I want to send it in for repair they charge $42 estimate fee plus $84.00 per hour labor + parts to fix it" :mad:.

Maybe time to move to that Yaesu 8800R I've been wishing for...

Just an FYI about ICOM customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom