Anyone try a fridge on the 110 outlet in back? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone try running an Engel or ARB off the rear 110 outlet? I would assume the wiring and inverter is not up to the task, but it sure would be simple.

It won't run with the truck off. Not gonna hold up without jumping it to run all the time, at which point it is easier to run heavier gauge wire and get better power with a fuse and switch.

Anyone try running an Engel or ARB off the rear 110 outlet? I would assume the wiring and inverter is not up to the task, but it sure would be simple.

I do it in my 200 with no issues. Most of those fridges run at about 60Ws when the compressor is on and at max speed, and the 115V in back can handle 100Ws. Most of the time the compressor isnt on max speed. Most fridges built for vehicles will also have battery protection to keep it from draining below starting voltage. It's good to check your particular one to make sure, and as far as the outlet, plug it in and see! The problem is, like Vlad said, you can't have the 110 V outlet on without the car being on as well. If the car is on it is no problem and no need to worry about draining battery below starting voltage.

I never bothered to wire up the GX for the Engel I have even after years of ownership. Next week I need to run cross country and sure would like to keep my snacks cold and dry. I just looked and my power cord is a 3-prong and both the Sequoia and the GX have 2 prong AC outlets, super lame.

I never bothered to wire up the GX for the Engel I have even after years of ownership. Next week I need to run cross country and sure would like to keep my snacks cold and dry. I just looked and my power cord is a 3-prong and both the Sequoia and the GX have 2 prong AC outlets, super lame.

Cool it before you put it in the car, and keep it filled. That will save you from having to change it ~40 degrees using the car. Best to cool it before then use car just to maintain, and its easier to keep a filled fridge cool rather than empty one.

It won't run with the truck off. Not gonna hold up without jumping it to run all the time, at which point it is easier to run heavier gauge wire and get better power with a fuse and switch.

I've been running mine there for a year and have shut power off to my fridge a handful of times. I stays running for weeks at a time without any issues.

I'm running and ARB Elements and it runs off vehicle power with the car running or not.

The fridge has a low-power safety shut off feature. With a group 34 Odyssey, I haven't hit it yet.

I popped out the 2-prong outlet and replaced it with a cigarette lighter style outlet.

@ArBrnSnpr
Are you talking 12 volt or AC?

@Dangcat
What style power cord are you using with your 200 series?
110v when plugged in shore power or car running, 12V when not. I have both plugs in my fridge. When I tape or secure the 12 v together so it doesn’t disconnect so easily, then I’ll run 12V full time.

My favorite combination if I only had one plug is to add a Jackery something similar to the mix. Jackery into car’s 110v plug, fridge into Jackery’s 110v. When car on it powers both the Jackery and fridge via pass through charging, when car off the Jackery powers the fridge. Fridge will never shut off if you actually drive your car every day, and you’ll even have extra charge left on Jackery for USB and 12v devices. I got my Jackery 160 for 110 (they go on sale often). This is important because the car can’t charge The fridge via the 110V it car is off, but the Jackery can.

Also, Jackery only uses up 48 of your 100 watt capacity from your 110b plug, so you got room left to add a small power strip and charge something else at the same time so that excess current from alternator does not go to waste. So from my 110v plug plus a power strip, I effectively charge 2 laptop power banks plus the jackery. Through pass through charging, the Jackery can add 2 more USB and 1 110v to the mix. Also through pass through charging, my laptop power banks can charge 4 usb and 2 more 12Vs (up to 21V) via pass through, (pass through meaning it can charge itself while charging others).

So 1 from plug I charge 3 power banks (Jackery 160, maxoak 50000mah and renogy 72000mah) directly, then 6 more USB (phones cameras and small batteries), 2 12Vs (many uses), and 1 110V which is for fridge or laptop (laptop can also charge via 12V) indirectly via pass through charging. I do all this without triggering the battery protection which will shut off the 110V outlet if devices draw more than 100 watts from the back 110v.

You don’t need as much as me... but 1 Jackery 160 for $110 bucks sale price will make sure your fridge never cycles off, and leave you with power to spare when engine is off.

Last edited:
BUT WAIT, There’s more. So you load up the first power strip with about 100 watts worth of your highest priority things (like Jackery/power banks), And that goes into your 110V in back. Then, anything past that that requires a 110V plug but not top priority, you plug into a second power strip and keep that off. When you are at somewhere with shore power/normal house plug with 1800watt limit, then you turn on the second power strip. I also have a extension cord for this.

So my routine is when I get to somewhere with shore power, I unplug first power strip from 110V in back, plug it into extension cord, and plug in extension cord into my friends house or campground plug, then I turn on the second power strip, which is plugged into 1st strip, and I have plenty of power and plugs to run everything while charging all my 50 devices all at max charging speed.

Last edited:
I have a confession to make:

I went against the manufacturers recommendation of 41 degrees for drinks, and set mine at 30.

Now I can officially say that my drinks are...

ICECOld.

Somebody please stop me before my cheesy jokes hurt somebody.

21F65330-F78E-4323-9485-7579410470EF.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

6145438D-4197-461D-835B-FB212804DA99.png

OH MY GOD THIS IS THE WRONG THREAD. Meant to post in my group buy thread sorry!

After looking up the wattage of the fridge I found that the owners manual states not to run it off of an inverter. Not wanting to burn up an expensive piece of equipment I ran some wire and hardwired the 12 volt plug to the truck. Was an easy hour job with stuff I had on hand, guess I should have done this years ago. That Jackery looks pretty neat though, thinking about ordering one just to have on hand.

Currently I am running a Flexopower plugged into the GX 110v outlet and my ARB fridge plugged into the 12v on the Flexopower. The GX will keep the Flexopower topped off and charge it. However the charge rate is slow through the inverter compared to a 12v line. So if I don’t drive a lot the Flexopower will go below the ARB low volt cutoff in 1-2 days depending on outside temps/sun exposure. I have a 100 watt solar panel too, but if I’m street parking at a cabin like I was in Big Bear this weekend, I don’t really like to leave my solar panel out. I plan on running a dedicated 12v line eventually so I’ll have faster charging. But this set up does work with some limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom