Anyone recognize this not transfer case sound (FJ62)? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gah, you crack me up with the Toyota memes! I bet you’ve never seen one of these before. Post #157

i keep it extreemly dry and light here at the LAB

its healthy to make phun of ones self and reduces stress , i enjoy helping others for a living , and heck , if i can do it my way , more power to me !

My Teq WORSHIP SHRINES are comeing your way watch out ! 🤣

Check for vacuum leak/s around the 2wd-4wd vacuum actuator on the transfer case and particularly all the vacuum hoses, joins and fittings etc related to it.

Best way to isolate the exact area of noises is to use 'the garden hose stethoscope'.

Get about 3 feet or so of hose like garden hose, fuel hose, heater hose, air hose or whatever you have.
Hold one end to your ear and move the other end around the general area where the noise is coming from.
You're trying to locate where the noise is the loudest, and the hose works really well for this.
It's a very good way of pinpointing the source of weird noises.

You did mention that the squeak sounded like it was coming from around the starter area and the 2wd/4wd actuator and vacuum lines are pretty close.

Notice that the very last bit of 'the noise' sounds pretty much the same every time. Makes me think it could be a vacuum leak.

Check for vacuum leak/s around the 2wd-4wd vacuum actuator on the transfer case and particularly all the vacuum hoses, joins and fittings etc related to it.

Best way to isolate the exact area of noises is to use 'the garden hose stethoscope'.

Get about 3 feet or so of hose like garden hose, fuel hose, heater hose, air hose or whatever you have.
Hold one end to your ear and move the other end around the general area where the noise is coming from.
You're trying to locate where the noise is the loudest, and the hose works really well for this.
It's a very good way of pinpointing the source of weird noises.

You did mention that the squeak sounded like it was coming from around the starter area and the 2wd/4wd actuator and vacuum lines are pretty close.

Notice that the very last bit of 'the noise' sounds pretty much the same every time. Makes me think it could be a vacuum leak.
yeah there is a teapot quality to it right? And it has to be hot. To the point that its getting cooler out, and it takes longer to start happening. Ill try it, a bit busy this week, and I work from home, so going on a 30 minute drive then doing diagnostics is a solid hour out of my day. Thanks for the insight.

From a gearhead buddy of mine: The only thing I can think of that keeps spinning after shut down is perhaps the trans side of the torque converter internals and the transmission input shaft. Everything else stops pretty quickly, well, at least normally.

Short update if anyone ever has the same issue... Still squeaks. Runs like a top, shifts good, temps are good. Still squeaks when it gets hot. I assume thats just who it is, who am I to judge.

1655067379462.png

Short update if anyone ever has the same issue... Still squeaks. Runs like a top, shifts good, temps are good. Still squeaks when it gets hot. I assume thats just who it is, who am I to judge.

View attachment 3032271

hey Spock ,

thanks for the update , i was wondering about this thread a while back ?

glad to see my initial diagnosis is still spot-on as described below in detail ...... and your FJ62 is still with us too ... :D

kindly matt

Thousands on the squeak. Rock steady. Squeak never changes.

after the last 3 years

i change my initial diagnosis

its your SPEEDO cable

or

drive and driven gears in t - case

I could see that but its only when Im not moving. If I stop at a stop light and shift to N it goes away. If I put it in park it comes back.
I'm thinking its some bearing in my T case spooling down or something.

I could see that but its only when Im not moving. If I stop at a stop light and shift to N it goes away. If I put it in park it comes back.
I'm thinking its some bearing in my T case spooling down or something.

well with all the Kilometers you have racked thousands ,,

perhaps its simply just a simple
L.C.N ...

after all we all have them , it's no biggie

What's l.n.c? I did try this today. Noise in drive and park, not neutral. Put tcase in neutral, then drive, no noise. Must be the t case no?

What's l.n.c? I did try this today. Noise in drive and park, not neutral. Put tcase in neutral, then drive, no noise. Must be the t case no?

L.N.C. = Land Cruiser Noise 🔊

we all have a little here and there ,.,....

I also have pretty red/brown gear oil in my Tcase. I changed the fluid when I first started hearing the noise a couple years ago so its back to reddish colored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom