Anyone recognize this not transfer case sound (FJ62)? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

if that is the case ?

then a major repair has been done by a PO right before you buy it

see all the OARNGE FIPG 00295-01281 sealant squeezed out that's par for coarse and normal , better more then not enough

take note t-case is nice and clean compared to the entirre ATM

it was HOT tanked , i doubt new oem because the excessive orange fipg

@cruisermatt will have much more to contribute here im sure

how many miles have you put on truck since you buy it ?

also is it garage kept ot out doors , the age and time factor of this repair scope is a critical fact to get right , to avoid any unneeded speculation ?

download.jpg

Does it go into 4wd? I’m pretty sure the 4wd clutch never spins in the tcase unless you engage the shifter. I know toyotamatt is gonna yell at me for speculating right after he says don’t speculate, but could it be that the 4wd clutch is spinning while not engaged? Is your front drive shaft spinning? Are your hubs unlocked? Unless you’re in 4wd and have locked hubs your 4wd clutch should not spin. Your front drive shaft should not spin and your front differential should not spin. If the hubs are unlocked and your front driveshaft is spinning then you’ve got a problem. But, cruisermatt is way more knowledgeable with probably a hundred or more tcases under his belt.

if that is the case ?

then a major repair has been done by a PO right before you buy it

see all the OARNGE FIPG 00295-01281 sealant squeezed out that's par for coarse and normal , better more then not enough

take note t-case is nice and clean compared to the entirre ATM

it was HOT tanked , i doubt new oem because the excessive orange fipg

@cruisermatt will have much more to contribute here im sure

how many miles have you put on truck since you buy it ?

also is it garage kept ot out doors , the age and time factor of this repair scope is a critical fact to get right , to avoid any unneeded speculation ?

Probably 20k? Garage kept always, until it was at the shop for 3 months, I believe it was kept outside. Did not start til long drive back. Maybe an hour. After the noise started, I changed the t-case oil, it was ATF for sure. No difference unfortunately.

Does it go into 4wd? I’m pretty sure the 4wd clutch never spins in the tcase unless you engage the shifter. I know toyotamatt is gonna yell at me for speculating right after he says don’t speculate, but could it be that the 4wd clutch is spinning while not engaged? Is your front drive shaft spinning? Are your hubs unlocked? Unless you’re in 4wd and have locked hubs your 4wd clutch should not spin. Your front drive shaft should not spin and your front differential should not spin. If the hubs are unlocked and your front driveshaft is spinning then you’ve got a problem. But, cruisermatt is way more knowledgeable with probably a hundred or more tcases under his belt.

your good ........

i would NEVER yell at a fellow member or hurt one by being snarky either .......

i have feelings and so does everyone here

we are all a A team like a Mission Squad on the Hunt for a Teq diagnoses KILL shot :D

we all value your input here :)

we are all working together towards a common goal

helping @Spock Dingledong get over this MYSTERY HUMP

perhaps the final outcome will defy TEq Logic entirely , then we all learn something new as well ?

your good ........

we all value your input here :)

we are all working together towards a common goal

helping @Spock Dingledong get over this MYSTERY HUMP

perhaps the final outcome will defy TEq Logic entirely , then we all learn something new as well ?
Haha, well I appreciate all the input from everyone. Its in H2, for sure, although per some testing we did, tcase in neutral seemed to have a correlation with the noise (*no noise when in tcase N). Hubs unlocked, front DS spins freely, doesn't spin while driving.

Well, for one thing I know to be certain... ATF should NOT be in your transfercase. It should be 80-90 weight gear oil. I can imagine the lighter weight ATF did not lubricate things properly.

There is a problem with these trucks, both the 60 and 62, of oil transferring from the transmission into the transfer case. On the 60 it’s not AS bad because they both use the same gear oil. In the 62, with an autotrans, it would be a bigger problem. How much bigger is beyond my pay grade and off of my wheelhouse. Cruisermatt will be able to tell you better information...

Well, for one thing I know to be certain... ATF should NOT be in your transfercase. It should be 80-90 weight gear oil. I can imagine the lighter weight ATF did not lubricate things properly.

There is a problem with these trucks, both the 60 and 62, of oil transferring from the transmission into the transfer case. On the 60 it’s not AS bad because they both use the same gear oil. In the 62, with an autotrans, it would be a bigger problem. How much bigger is beyond my pay grade and off of my wheelhouse. Cruisermatt will be able to tell you better information...
Help me Obi Matt Kenobi, you're my only hope.

@cruisermatt

CRUISERMATT's OFF ROAD FLORIDA LLc....

Hard to say. I have not heard that noise before. I would start with unbolting the converter and completely isolating the transmission from the engine.
Hows the transmission fluid look?
Definitely looks like a very recent T-case service done.
Matt is right about the orange FIPG.

the hard par
Hard to say. I have not heard that noise before. I would start with unbolting the converter and completely isolating the transmission from the engine.
Hows the transmission fluid look?
Definitely looks like a very recent T-case service done.
Matt is right about the orange FIPG.
Hard part with the torque converter is this, it wont happen unless I drive around for 20-30 minutes. If I sit there for 20 minutes unbolting the TC, it will have cooled enough to not make the noise anymore.

54B36BD0-111A-4BF0-9D34-174F9CD9D5D2.png
This is a page out of the 1988 fj62 body and chassis manual pertaining to fluids.

The full book can be read at cruisermanuals.com

When you're rolling down a hill and turn the engine off (as you mentioned), does the noise continue as long as the vehicle is rolling, or does it stop after a couple of seconds like normal? I'd really like a video of the noise with you revving the engine a few times to see how the noise changes/responds to engine RPM.

We can rule out anything to do with the EFI system, since the noise was continuing after the relay clicked off.

When you're rolling down a hill and turn the engine off (as you mentioned), does the noise continue as long as the vehicle is rolling, or does it stop after a couple of seconds like normal? I'd really like a video of the noise with you revving the engine a few times to see how the noise changes/responds to engine RPM.

We can rule out anything to do with the EFI system, since the noise was continuing after the relay clicked off.
Noise continued after the normal time-frame (although it was slower less frequent (small hill)), semi-speed dependent, so I goosed it like you said, no difference in pitch or frequency.

Well if the noise continued with the engine off, and continued happening for as long as the vehicle is rolling, that should eliminate the torque converter. Did you put the vehicle in neutral when you did this?

Well if the noise continued with the engine off, and continued happening for as long as the vehicle is rolling, that should eliminate the torque converter. Did you put the vehicle in neutral when you did this?
I think... I did not put it in N while this happened. Ill retest tomorrow, since its an easy one to do.

the hard par

Hard part with the torque converter is this, it wont happen unless I drive around for 20-30 minutes. If I sit there for 20 minutes unbolting the TC, it will have cooled enough to not make the noise anymore.

What does your transmission fluid look like

Personal injury Photos of a gory nature are not allowed on MUD

go here right away !

Gah, you crack me up with the Toyota memes! I bet you’ve never seen one of these before. Post #157

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom