Anyone know who owns this FJ62 in Williamsburg, VA? I know now.....the assessment begins. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good find... I used to live in Williamsburg next to the W&M campus. Hope the sale works out & this truck gets saved.

Thanks, all. I know what you mean Doug, about making it too nice. Though I want to be fair about it and know what I'm getting myself in too.

Been working on it a little. Charging the battery now so I can do a compression test. Pressurized the coolant system, it held pressure cold after I put a good radiator cap on the radiator. That would suck if what caused a suspected head gasket to go was a radiator cap.

KIMG0860_zpsyb6tsk0w.jpg

Also pulled the plugs. Plugs 3, 2, 1 starting from left.

KIMG0858_zpswfl4tk6r.jpg

Plugs 6, 5, 4 starting from left.

KIMG0857_zps8dtcsl2z.jpg

Here is the ash I scraped off 6.

KIMG0859_zps80bkolre.jpg

Unless I'm wrong in my assumption, it is looking pretty suspect between 1/2, and 4/5. I'd appreciate any input.

PaulC

Got some more work done today. The battery that came in the truck wouldn't hold a charge so I had to put one of mine in. Removed the radiator shroud and fan so I could turn the motor over by hand first. The motor turned over easily, no stuck rings. Installed the compression tester, hit the key and click. The starter was bad. Put one of my starters in. Hit the key and the motor turns over. Got good numbers from all the cylinders and they were pretty much the same, good news. Put the plugs back in, tried to start the truck, no gas. Somebody left the gas cap off and all the gas evaporated out of the tank, that explains the black ring around the gas door. Which could be a good thing since it isn't full of bad gas. Put five gallons in, cranked it, didn't start. So now I'm at a crossroads, I let the owner know the current status and items that need attention as I went along. Now I have to wait to see if the owner wants his truck back or if he'll want to sell it.

Upper radiator hose is full of rust, I can only imagine what the rest of the cooling system looks like.

KIMG0867_zpshjebmz4s.jpg

The battery tray is completely rusted away. The only thing remaining of it is the rust perimeter and the plastic coating.

KIMG0862_zpslbohxxtb.jpg

KIMG0865_zpsd40okbdf.jpg

The front axle has probably never been serviced from the looks of it.

output_zpsjziwdydt.jpg

Thanks for looking.

PaulC

Yeah looks like it COULD be a nice truck but needs a decent amount of work. Probably new starter, fuel pump, gas tank and lines should be purged along with the entire cooling system (even pull radiator to have rodded and cored). From there it is up to you... $1500 if you think you can rehab it and it has no body/frame rust. But I wouldnt go much more than that.

Greg,

That is what I was going to ask, what would you pay for this truck. I wish it was an '87, carb, manual tranny, manual transfer case, and manual Windows. The decision would be much easier to buy this truck or not.

PaulC

I agree with Greg on the price tag. She's got all of the right bones for saving. Hope it all works out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom