Anyone done a custom wool headliner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bought the 68 in 92 and it had what was left of the original interior (I think anyway).....grey vinyl, the rear benches were recovered black vinyl. So that my wife could drive the beast, I found a local mom and pop upholstery shop in Hobbs USA NM....and I was looking for something cheap....he had remnants from a couch that he just finished....kind of a green grey striped wool....

We had 2 Newfoundland dogs, 2 boys at the time and would load her up and explore the desert in Southeast NM. The wool seats are cool to sit on in the summer and warm in the winter.....never burn your leg....and never have to to wait for the heated seats to finally...get warm.

Wen I restored the rig in 2017 and 2018, we knew we wanted wool seats again, just didn’t know exactly. My wife and 22 year old daughter picked the colors and came up with the Pendleton blanket ideal....the upholstery shop we used for the restoration, came up with sewing the Pendleton tags back in.

I live in South Central WA, 100 degree summers, fairly mild but cold winters....seats are comfortable all year.

Wool isn’t for everyone....but if you have a daily driver...and looking at easy trail drives or mall crawling....it’s not a bad option.

I really never bought an FJ40 as a mall crawler. Most people never did. Or easy trail drives. It was in the sun, wet, abused by dogs , kids, etc... I went through quite a few refits on upholstery, vinyl, because of cost and durability. The only way I would use a Pendleton blanket , is if my FJ40 is retired . Not to say it is not a very nice fit, just not for tough usage. Then again , I wonder why they lace caskets with costly materials.

I've been thinking of doing something somewhat similar; been more focused on the seats than the headliner, similar to what @Rockymtnreaper did with his seats/door cards

2C6A0069.jpg

I have a Mustard 40 so really like the color combo that Colonel did, thinking of a similar pattern/fabric for the seats but probably keeping the OEM headliner

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 8.59.56 AM.png

I have had marine carpet glued to my roof for 25 years. I would worry about wool sucking up moisture if your gutter leaks and your get water inside. I know my hard-top leaks up there from being leaned into trees, but I imagine not everyone does that to their trucks.

I researched quite a bit when I did my headliner a couple of months ago. All I have to say is make sure your gasket is good and you have a nice clean surface to work with. Also, a huge thing is what adhesive you are going to use. Make sure to spray the adhesive to both sides. Wait until it is tacky, test with the back of your knuckles. If all that is correct, you can use wool. Marine products are great too, I went Oem with mine.

I researched quite a bit when I did my headliner a couple of months ago. All I have to say is make sure your gasket is good and you have a nice clean surface to work with.

The gasket between the sides and cap does not prevent water from getting into the gutter. Water gets in in the seal between the fiberglass cap and the steel gutter. Really need to be sure that seal is good before replacing the top. It is a good idea to check the gutter on the inside after cap have been exposed moisture. If it is wet the seal needs to be addressed.

The gasket between the sides and cap does not prevent water from getting into the gutter. Water gets in in the seal between the fiberglass cap and the steel gutter. Really need to be sure that seal is good before replacing the top. It is a good idea to check the gutter on the inside after cap have been exposed moisture. If it is wet the seal needs to be addressed.

I wasn't addressing what has commented on above, but yes you are totally right. Gutters are so important. There is no shortcuts when refreshing.

I wasn't addressing what has commented on above, but yes you are totally right. Gutters are so important. There is no shortcuts when refreshing.

Guess not sure which gasket you were referring too. The gasket between the cap is important. Here is a hard top side feel a bad gasket caused the rust.
IMG_20190520_135244201.jpg

Do not know the history of this hard top side a friend was going to trash the two sides, other one was in much better shape. Had them since nineties before the internet is what is is today. Last century in Arizona tops were cheap and easy to find. I just hated to see any cruiser parts to get scrapped.

One bad thing about wool is it is highly absorbent of oil and grease. Just be careful just jumping into the truck if you have been working on it.
It is actually used to catch grease in commercial kitchen ventilation systems.

Ok so anyone thinking about doing Pendleton wool, please know that you can do it cheaper by buying Pendleton wool off of the bolt and not as a blanket. Pendelton does a once a year fabric sale from Portland OR and you can buy whatever material they have by the yard. Please understand that the Pendleton fabric store is separate from their regular retail stores and Sadly its best to go in person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom