Any tricks to reduce Door rattle? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just curious if anyone has any adjustment tricks or things that have worked to reduce the door rattle(other than new weather strip). Its a bit loud when I take it off road. I know its a Landcruiuser and I'm fine with that. Since our topless season is short I have to top on most of the time, so making the doors quieter would be nice.

try new bushings and pins in the hinges. :D

Hinge bolts are adjustable inside and out. Use the inside ones to make the door fit more tightly. Also, the strike plate can be adjusted to tighten the door. I found that the pre-75 door inner handle gets loose/noisey with age. Haven't figured out a fix, except to replace it. It is riveted on. I figured out one rattle that irritated me for a year. Then, I noticed it clunked with acceleration/deceleration. It was the spring inside the latch flying back and forth. Fixed it by siliconing it into the latch.

Step #1: Remove Doors

Step #2: Place in Garage

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Treat yourself to a 6-pack... you're done!!!

:dunno:Why would you want to get rid of your factory rattles?? :dunno:

I bought 8 bushings from SOR, not expensive, Toyota part. Made significant difference in door rattle, where the top rear of my door had been hitting the door frame of the top. I have also noticed that later monoframe doors from 75+ do not rattle anywhere nearly as bad as pre 75 ones; which have several parts. The bushings, however drastically decreasing door rattle, make door a little more difficult to install/remove, if you take care to not break the newly installed bushings.

Enjake, SOR sells the OEM stuff for my year doors (71) for 37 dollars and change for members this month. The aftermarket stuff is about 22 bucks. They sell the bushings, too.
IDave

I just ordered a pin and bushing kit, $15-16

Dave. You mentioned in one of my other threads you bought Toyota Weather Strip? What did that set you back if you don't mind me asking?

It was about $70 per side (Stevens Creek Toyota in San Jose, CA) for a 1975.

The cheaper solution is to get PepBoys or JCWhitney generic weatherstripping, the kind with the fat round cross section and stick it along the door edge on the inside. For the top rear corner where it makes a 90 degree turn, a "V" can be cut to make a nice corner. Like what Pin Head says, anything that keeps the door from moving when latched will keep it from rattling.

Once when my passenger seatbelt was caught in the door it stopped the rattling too. <= cheapest solution :D

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom