Any thoughts on this bit socket for the front diff drain plug? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just dropped in a Tundra front carrier with 72k miles on my LX. Looked like it was the first time the drain plug had been removed. No tooling marks, and extra tight.

To your point, it's a combination of large threads and seal. Both diameters larger than the allen key putting it at a disadvantage.

Took an 18" breaker bar with a standard hex bit, and I was still surprised at the amount of torque it took to break it loose. Make sure the bit is fully in. May not be a bad idea with corroded/aged plugs to give the bit a few light taps with a hammer to ensure the bit is fully seated.

Last edited:
I just dropped in a Tundra front carrier with 72k miles on my LX. Looked like it was the first time the drain plug had been removed. No tooling marks, and extra tight.

To your point, it's a combination of large threads and seal. Both diameters larger than the hex driver putting it at a disadvantage.

Took an 18" breaker bar with a standard hex bit, and I was still surprised at the amount of torque it took to break it loose. Make sure the bit is fully in. May not be a bad idea with corroded/aged plugs to give the bit a few light taps with a hammer to ensure the bit is fully seated.
Exactly what many describe. It just sticks. And usually when it does come loose it is with a loud crack, not a gradual loosening.
I’ve said this before but I think for especially stuck ones hammering around the edge to lightly compress the copper gasket should help a lot. As any time this is opened, it’s smart to have a spare plug on hand

I've used WERA hex plus there great i don thave a socket version jsut the allen keys 10mm
but these just came out 1-to-1 exact copy of the mac RBRT but less the price. im ordering a set

GRIPEDGE

This thread popped up a week late for me! Plug would not budge with impacts or breaker bar. Added an extension to the breaker bar and found the limits of the plug. Just had a harbor freight hex socket on. Had to take it to the shop and they loosened it with an air hammer and had it off in no time. Will be bringing an unobtanium hex bit and spare plug to my next attempt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom