Any thoughts on getting this back to black? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2010 Cruiser, and it looks fantastic except for the black trim pieces such as this one, which is highly visible. I was thinking about taking this rubber piece off and shooting it with new paint. I know there's a lot of "back to black" creams, but they really just give it a shine and it's still not back to black. And it wears off after a couple of washes.

So...should I paint this? And if so, how does it come off?

To take it off you’ll need a bunch of the replacement clips. They nearly all break. Easy to do otherwise

I totally get what you're saying about the back to black products working for just a short time. However, I had a similar issue with my 2008 and this product, VRP Protectant from Chemical Guys, has been very effective and long lasting. Used it over a year ago and still black. Found out about it after doing some research on an auto detailing online forum .

I totally get what you're saying about the back to black products working for just a short time. However, I had a similar issue with my 2008 and this product, VRP Protectant from Chemical Guys, has been very effective and long lasting. Used it over a year ago and still black. Found out about it after doing some research on an auto detailing online forum .View attachment 2014008
+1 for this product

Replacement is a great idea; part is slightly more expensive than I would have thought. FWIW I have found that even when these Toyota plastics start to turn chalky they actually accept plastic restorers extremely well.

I used Ultima Trim Guard with great, long lasting results on my personal Cruiser. My truck also lives outside, gets rained on constantly, washed often, but I always dry with Bead Maker or Meguiar's Hybrid so that helps keep it black. I applied the Ultima about 4 months ago and haven't needed to re-apply.

The gold standard by most accounts is Solution Finish. It is actually impregnated with black pigment and is what the vast majority of high end detailers will use to restore trim.

I probably would not recommend painting due to the expansion and contraction of the plastic, especially a climate like TX.

Also maybe try Aerospace 303 - mine will look like that if not reapplied every couple months. Awesome tire protection as well - spay, no wipe - makes tires and black plastic parts look new - not "shine"

Also blocks UV

For black plastic what you are seeing is just oxidation. You can remove it easily if you very lightly wave a propane torch over the area and its amazing all the oxidation just disappears. It happens as soon as the heat hits so you dont hold it in one place long enough to melt anything. Can also use a heat gun which may be a bit safer if you have never done it before or want to do it while its still on the car. Have used this trick for decades with windshield cowls with cars that had unmatched black plastic bumpers. Made them look new in 5 minutes and it lasts for years as you are basically taking of all the buildup and it strats over again.

For black plastic what you are seeing is just oxidation. You can remove it easily if you very lightly wave a propane torch over the area and its amazing all the oxidation just disappears. It happens as soon as the heat hits so you dont hold it in one place long enough to melt anything. Can also use a heat gun which may be a bit safer if you have never done it before or want to do it while its still on the car. Have used this trick for decades with windshield cowls with cars that had unmatched black plastic bumpers. Made them look new in 5 minutes and it lasts for years as you are basically taking of all the buildup and it strats over again.

Wow! I might have to try this!

@TexasHusker, unrelated to the post but, that is a great green color on your LC. Is that a wrap or paint? Do you have the code name/number by any chance? I'm planning to wrap my LX green and been torn on the exact shade.

Wow! I might have to try this!
Best of luck! I personally prefer the small torch method as its almost instant as soon as the flame hits the plastic vs. the heat gun which take a little longer because it sometime softens up the plastic more than I would like but both work.

Be careful with the propane torch. It works well but is pretty easy to get streaky on the Toyota plastics. Works great on GM plastics though.

Also have had good success with degeasing with Dawn and using black shoe polish, lasts for a few years.

I totally get what you're saying about the back to black products working for just a short time. However, I had a similar issue with my 2008 and this product, VRP Protectant from Chemical Guys, has been very effective and long lasting. Used it over a year ago and still black. Found out about it after doing some research on an auto detailing online forum .View attachment 2014008

Side bar, would you use this on your dash?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom