Any know first aid for a cracked dash pad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
Threads
I have the common cracked dash pad (right in the center above the instrument panel). I've purchased a dash pad cover from Cover King, but I'm reluctant to put in on. Have any of you mudders figured out something do-able? I had a repairman look at it and he said the edges of the crack were turned up a bit making it un-repairable.

I have the common cracked dash pad (right in the center above the instrument panel). I've purchased a dash pad cover from Cover King, but I'm reluctant to put in on. Have any of you mudders figured out something do-able? I had a repairman look at it and he said the edges of the crack were turned up a bit making it un-repairable.

Another thought is to get a replacement from a vehicle that's being parted out. I've gone with @mel lowe for some parts that I was looking for. Very good seller of used Land Cruiser parts!

:steer:

I used the dash pad with the mindset, out of sight out of mind. I used double sided velcro and this has held up for 8 years and counting...

I used the dash pad with the mindset, out of sight out of mind. I used double sided velcro and this has held up for 8 years and counting...
Hi Jake, I love the dogs in your cruiser. Where did you get your dash pad? Thanks

You may laugh at this fix (term I'll use loosely in this case).

I used a razor, beveled down the edge that was curling up (just 1 side did it in my old LX450)

I then used caulk (latex houshold type) to fill the crack, amazingly matched the dash in a tan based interior.

Mine was right behind the highest point of the steering wheel, but I never noticed it after that.

Aside from a dash swap, I gotta say I was surprised such a chachi fix turned out so decent.

I want to say I have seen a product like this. Some type of dash filler.

You may laugh at this fix (term I'll use loosely in this case).

I used a razor, beveled down the edge that was curling up (just 1 side did it in my old LX450)

I then used caulk (latex houshold type) to fill the crack, amazingly matched the dash in a tan based interior.

Mine was right behind the highest point of the steering wheel, but I never noticed it after that.

Aside from a dash swap, I gotta say I was surprised such a chachi fix turned out so decent.

Interesting. I will google dash filler because I doubt caulk comes in gray but I'll see. Has anyone used coolcruisers cover.

image.jpg

I once had the same issue and planned to go this route. That is until I had the chance acquire a dash in better condition.

The prep before recovering is what caught my eye.

Uses great stuff and shapes it to achieve a level surface.

Last edited:
Maybe do something like this for a recover:

Also this:

Hi Jake, I love the dogs in your cruiser. Where did you get your dash pad? Thanks
We have 6 GSP's... Great dogs! If I recall I got it from Dashmat. They size them based on yea make and model...

Revisiting this from a bit back....I forgot my dash in my little E30 is alcantara (fancy fake suede) -covered. It is prob less than practical in the dusty / normal environment a Landcruiser sees (E30 is a lifetime garage queen car) - but I can say alcantara is pimp status stuff.
I paid for the install, no clue how it goes.

This from the guy who slapped caulk in his LX450 dash - budgets & reality.

But thought I'd add alcantara for those who like those ICON FJ40's - it's commonplace in their 40's.

I need to do something with the dashpad in my 4Runner. I have a spare to experiment on and I'm going to try something along these lines.

I'll first peel off all the old vinyl and go from there. It should be easier with the dash pad out of the truck. You could also send it to these guys.

Just Dashes | Dash Pad and Classic Car Interior Restoration

How hard is it to remove the dash pad?

Revisiting this from a bit back....I forgot my dash in my little E30 is alcantara (fancy fake suede) -covered. It is prob less than practical in the dusty / normal environment a Landcruiser sees (E30 is a lifetime garage queen car) - but I can say alcantara is pimp status stuff.
I paid for the install, no clue how it goes.

This from the guy who slapped caulk in his LX450 dash - budgets & reality.

But thought I'd add alcantara for those who like those ICON FJ40's - it's commonplace in their 40's.

Why not the furry lowrider look ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom