Any know first aid for a cracked dash pad? (1 Viewer)

Wayne

Bought by His blood, kept by His power
I have the common cracked dash pad (right in the center above the instrument panel). I've purchased a dash pad cover from Cover King, but I'm reluctant to put in on. Have any of you mudders figured out something do-able? I had a repairman look at it and he said the edges of the crack were turned up a bit making it un-repairable.

I have the common cracked dash pad (right in the center above the instrument panel). I've purchased a dash pad cover from Cover King, but I'm reluctant to put in on. Have any of you mudders figured out something do-able? I had a repairman look at it and he said the edges of the crack were turned up a bit making it un-repairable.

Another thought is to get a replacement from a vehicle that's being parted out. I've gone with @mel lowe for some parts that I was looking for. Very good seller of used Land Cruiser parts!

:steer:

I used the dash pad with the mindset, out of sight out of mind. I used double sided velcro and this has held up for 8 years and counting...

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
You may laugh at this fix (term I'll use loosely in this case).

I used a razor, beveled down the edge that was curling up (just 1 side did it in my old LX450)

I then used caulk (latex houshold type) to fill the crack, amazingly matched the dash in a tan based interior.

Mine was right behind the highest point of the steering wheel, but I never noticed it after that.

Aside from a dash swap, I gotta say I was surprised such a chachi fix turned out so decent.

I want to say I have seen a product like this. Some type of dash filler.

You may laugh at this fix (term I'll use loosely in this case).

I used a razor, beveled down the edge that was curling up (just 1 side did it in my old LX450)

I then used caulk (latex houshold type) to fill the crack, amazingly matched the dash in a tan based interior.

Mine was right behind the highest point of the steering wheel, but I never noticed it after that.

Aside from a dash swap, I gotta say I was surprised such a chachi fix turned out so decent.

Interesting. I will google dash filler because I doubt caulk comes in gray but I'll see. Has anyone used coolcruisers cover.

image.jpg

HAAANK

SILVER Star
I once had the same issue and planned to go this route. That is until I had the chance acquire a dash in better condition.

The prep before recovering is what caught my eye.

Uses great stuff and shapes it to achieve a level surface.

Last edited:

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Revisiting this from a bit back....I forgot my dash in my little E30 is alcantara (fancy fake suede) -covered. It is prob less than practical in the dusty / normal environment a Landcruiser sees (E30 is a lifetime garage queen car) - but I can say alcantara is pimp status stuff.
I paid for the install, no clue how it goes.

This from the guy who slapped caulk in his LX450 dash - budgets & reality.

But thought I'd add alcantara for those who like those ICON FJ40's - it's commonplace in their 40's.

Revisiting this from a bit back....I forgot my dash in my little E30 is alcantara (fancy fake suede) -covered. It is prob less than practical in the dusty / normal environment a Landcruiser sees (E30 is a lifetime garage queen car) - but I can say alcantara is pimp status stuff.
I paid for the install, no clue how it goes.

This from the guy who slapped caulk in his LX450 dash - budgets & reality.

But thought I'd add alcantara for those who like those ICON FJ40's - it's commonplace in their 40's.

Why not the furry lowrider look ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom