Any experience with External GPS for iPad (GAIA GPS) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm trying to find a cheap way to get topo maps that I can see better while I explore. I like Gaia GPS, but it is too small on my phone to see well while driving. I have an older iPad, but it is wifi only (and I'm not in any hurry to buy another). Some googling tells me that the wifi only version doesn't have the right internals to support GPS. I understand that you can add an external GPS like a Bad Elf or Dual Electronics XGPS. Both are about $100, give or take. Have any of you used either one of these and could reflect on how well it works, etc?

I use a Garmin InReach Mini as the GPS source for running Gaia on an iPad mini. Provides a GPS signal, but also can be used for backcountry communication while driving and/or hiking, etc. The only con is that it requires a subscription, but for me it's totally worth it.

Thanks. The Gaia site said that the Garmin devices may have issues with the iPad, so I had written that idea off. Your real world positive experience is good to hear.

Note: Garmin devices (such as the Garmin inReach) may have issues pairing with iPads. Because of this, these devices are not recommended for use as external GPS receivers in conjunction with Gaia GPS.

Thanks. The Gaia site said that the Garmin devices may have issues with the iPad, so I had written that idea off. Your real world positive experience is good to hear.

Note: Garmin devices (such as the Garmin inReach) may have issues pairing with iPads. Because of this, these devices are not recommended for use as external GPS receivers in conjunction with Gaia GPS.
Interesting. Works for me. :)

I'm trying to find a cheap way to get topo maps that I can see better while I explore. I like Gaia GPS, but it is too small on my phone to see well while driving. I have an older iPad, but it is wifi only (and I'm not in any hurry to buy another). Some googling tells me that the wifi only version doesn't have the right internals to support GPS. I understand that you can add an external GPS like a Bad Elf or Dual Electronics XGPS. Both are about $100, give or take. Have any of you used either one of these and could reflect on how well it works, etc?

I used the Garmin GLO 2 with my old iPad with great results. Garmin blurb:

Navigate with Garmin caliber GPS data on the mobile device of your choice. The GLO 2 receiver brings you the best of both worlds by combining GPS and GLONASS receivers with Bluetooth® wireless technology so you can enjoy precise position information on your iPad®, iPhone® or Android™ device.

Find it here on the Garmin site: Garmin GLO 2 Bluetooth GPS Receiver

Only drawback I found was that it is battery operated and I had to be conscious of when to recharge it. Battery life is about 13 hours, so not bad.

HTH

Gaia work well on CarPlay. Maybe adding CarPlay support on the oem system is another option? The screen is a bit larger than cellphone.

AC0643D1-C5DA-448E-8CD7-89102B16DFBF.jpeg

Gaia work well on CarPlay. Maybe adding CarPlay support on the oem system is another option? The screen is a bit larger than cellphone.
Yeah, I'd love CarPlay, but it is a bit out of my comfort zone price wise - Naviplus sounds like the way to go, but even with the discount code, it is more than I can justify. I think if I was going to spend that much, I might buy an iPad Pro with the cellular capability (which includes the GPS receiver). I guess I'm weird - I can justify that kind of spending on armor, tires, winches, etc, but to spend it for a radio feature feels wrong.

I have used gaia on a couple iPads and iPhones with no issues. From Belize to the Arctic Ocean, Polynesia and Peru. Best mapping program I have tried.

I have used gaia on a couple iPads and iPhones with no issues. From Belize to the Arctic Ocean, Polynesia and Peru. Best mapping program I have tried.
I bet you have some great adventures and stories for a lifetime. I'm jealous!

Retirement has been good. I am more likely to have a new iPad so I would probably be purchasing a new one than spending $100 on a Bluetooth gps. Btw, the Galapagos’ are incredible.

Last edited:
+1 on the Garmin InReach. I carry a mini everywhere I go and it has never let me down. We've taken it on weeklong backpacking trips and every offroad adventure we've been on for the past several years. We have never had issues pairing with any of our iPads or phones. I use it with the Garmin Earthmate and the Gaia apps with no problem. Depending on where you are in the world, one or the other (or both) may be better.

We just download any areas that we plan on visiting before heading out.

Based on my experience, I would keep the old iPad and spend the money on a good satellite communication tool like the Garmin inReach (or mini). A new iPad with cellular isn't going to help me anywhere I go, but being able to send /receive texts and weather, and having that all important SOS button has been a great relief.

Last edited:
Also, on the Garmin subscription, some are not cheap, but you can also turn it on and off as needed, so if you have a trip planned, you can enable the subscription for a month and then turn it off. For a long time we would enable from April to October. Now we just keep it active all the time. I consider it as part of the cost of living.

The GLO 2 is a GPS and GLONASS Receiver, so it has GLONASS support inReach does not.
I understand inReach does initially require a subscription for GPS support but that can be suspended/cancelled and GPS support will continue to work while two-way communication will not.

O/T but something else to consider is ODBII support if you're interested in displaying metrics. I've only read that folks tend to prefer an Android device for that since it's purportedly easier to configure than an iPad. So if then getting a new tablet it may be as easy as just getting one with a GPS rather than trying to pair with a satellite receiver.

I have an older iPad and just use the GLO2 but I also have a satellite phone.

The GLO 2 is a GPS and GLONASS Receiver, so it has GLONASS support inReach does not.
I understand inReach does initially require a subscription for GPS support but that can be suspended/cancelled and GPS support will continue to work while two-way communication will not.

O/T but something else to consider is ODBII support if you're interested in displaying metrics. I've only read that folks tend to prefer an Android device for that since it's purportedly easier to configure than an iPad. So if then getting a new tablet it may be as easy as just getting one with a GPS rather than trying to pair with a satellite receiver.

I have an older iPad and just use the GLO2 but I also have a satellite phone.

Yeah, I've heard good things about the GLO 2. I've never had an issue with connection though, but I am mostly in North America.

The main selling points for me on the mini are that it is incredibly durable, has incredibly long battery life, is IPX7 water resistant and there is this:

tempImageB6zRBZ.jpg

I can lash it on a backpack and never worry about it. When offroading, I keep it on the dash. And although it is IPX7 rated, I have dropped it in a near freezing High Sierra stream for over 30 seconds and it never even turned off.

More to the point, I think Garmin makes some damn good products and a large variety to fit different lifestyles and uses. You probably can't go wrong with any of them for this purpose.

Also Charlie. I am not sure if you have tried this, but if you hotspot your iPad to your phone, it should pick up the location directly from your phone, so that might be the cheapest, most immediate option.

That would be so cool. I'll give it a shot before I buy anything. Thanks!

Good to know there are many options.

Thanks everyone.

Also Charlie. I am not sure if you have tried this, but if you hotspot your iPad to your phone, it should pick up the location directly from your phone, so that might be the cheapest, most immediate option.
I believe wi-fi only iPads use assisted GPS when paired with a cell phone even and the iPad will not have a location.
If you have a cellphone with GPS and the ability to access the GPS on the phone via an app you may have luck sending coordinates to the iPad.

Last edited:
I believe iPads use assisted GPS when paired with a cell phone even and the iPad will not have a location.
If you have a cellphone with GPS and the ability to access the GPS on the phone via an app you may have luck sending coordinates to the iPad.

I am not sure what assisted GPS is, but I just now connected via hotspot from my iPad to my phone, pulled up Gaia, and hit the "center" button, and it took a second but pulled up my exact location at +/-33 ft accuracy.

We use it like this all the time and have never had any issues. Is it not working like I think it is?

We use it like this all the time and have never had any issues. Is it not working like I think it is?
My guess is that the assisted GPS is still able to use location from wi-fi/ maybe cell towers. Go someplace without cell service and try.
I run Navionics on my iPad for sailing and was confused at first because I had location from when tethered to my non-apple cellphone and then lost location at some point and even when tethered and getting data I could not get a location.

My guess is that the assisted GPS is still able to use location from wi-fi/ maybe cell towers. Go someplace without cell service and try.
I run Navionics on my iPad for sailing and was confused at first because I had location from when tethered to my non-apple cellphone and then lost location at some point and even when tethered and getting data I could not get a location.

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I am always in cell range when I hot spot it so wouldn't know if it didn't work otherwise. I'd say you are right though, since iPads and iPhones can both detect general location from wifi, maybe that is what it is doing rather than getting the actual GPS readings from the phone. Oddly, I don't think I have ever noticed it being off much, but sometimes it does take a few seconds to update my location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom