antirock sway bar on an 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
has anyone on here done it? ive heard they work well and dond bind up your flex, anyone on here have one?

Wonder if there would be a way to adapt to the rear?

antirock sway bar?

Is that a sway bar that's not just a sway bar?

Or a sway bar that's not a sway bar at all?

Or a sway bar that repels rocks?

Not quite sure what you're talking about other than something different than the stock sway bars...?

they make a "universal kit" with different bar and arm lengths, unlike the stock sway bars these rely on a tortion bar set up with splined arms that go on the end of it, they look like it would be a great addition to my lx, i believe they come with qd's

Sounds trick>

When you get to be an old guy, you gotta ask questions or the world passes you by...:confused:
Kids and their new-fangled toys!
:cheers:

antirock sway bar?

Is that a sway bar that's not just a sway bar?

Or a sway bar that's not a sway bar at all?

Or a sway bar that repels rocks?

Not quite sure what you're talking about other than something different than the stock sway bars...?

34460.jpg

thats the one, anyone have any expierience with these? well made?

My buddy had one on a long armed jeep. Worked great. I've been wondering about this also.

Currie makes some stout stuff so it will hold up.

Go for it :cheers: and I may follow

alright, thiswilll be my next project, i'm waitin on my steering box to get back from psc so i can finish my hydro, and i'm building a long arm for the rear after that i'll tackle it,i'll do the measurements tomorrow

Ive been thinking of one for the 60.....

D

If you can build the mounts for it, and there is clearance, there isn't any particular reason why not.

Keep in mind, though, that a big point of the anti-rock is to control excessive flex and some other undesirable characteristics of a super flexy quad coil suspension, not to increase flex.

That may be quite useful on a 3-linked / long armed 80, but there is no telling what it would take to get it tuned to your suspension, i.e. an anti-rock swaybar is not an independent suspension variable.

According to John Currie, the AR swaybar does not limit flex at all. They originally designed it to simply keep the body of the jeep as level as possible.

I have plans for at least one, maybe two on my 80 when I go coilover/redesigned radius arms.

They originally designed it to simply keep the body of the jeep as level as possible.

That was my point. When Currie says "Keep the body of the Jeep as level as possible" I do not believe they were talking about road use. And the anti-rock swaybar cannot do this without interacting with the suspension.

So will it also "keep the body of the 80 as level as possible" independent of the suspension you bolt onto your 80? Good question, bad assumption.

Thats what i'm after, they come with universal weld on mounts, so i could put it under the frame

Thats what i'm after, they come with universal weld on mounts, so i could put it under the frame

It's a good approach to bring these tried and true designs from the Jeep world over to your 80 - I'd definitely be looking into it if I had your design goals. Keep us posted.

It's a good approach to bring these tried and true designs from the Jeep world over to your 80 - I'd definitely be looking into it if I had your design goals. Keep us posted.

If it works and helps on the road a 3 link is in my future also.

That was my point. When Currie says "Keep the body of the Jeep as level as possible" I do not believe they were talking about road use. And the anti-rock swaybar cannot do this without interacting with the suspension.

So will it also "keep the body of the 80 as level as possible" independent of the suspension you bolt onto your 80? Good question, bad assumption.

They may not be specifically talking about road use, but they do help on the road as well.

Check out this 4Runner build. He's got F/R coilovers and is running F/R AR sway bars. His experience is that he could take corners on the road ~20 MPH faster than before he had the AR Swaybars. Granted the 80 is a bit heavier, but the sway bar tension is adjustable.

The Mossy runner buildup - Page 23 - TTORA Forum

I had this though awhile back since no one has quick disconnect sway bars for 80s, glad someones going to do leg work!

I had this though awhile back since no one has quick disconnect sway bars for 80s, glad someones going to do leg work!

you do know some of us just replace the lower bolts with removable pins right? I think someone even sells extended bump stop mounts with provisions to attach your sway bar ends when disconnected.

But if I were going to do it, I would look at sourcing the electric disconnectable units from a dodge powerwagon. For the weight of a cruiser compared to a jeep, especially if I was planning to disconnect it before taking it offroad I would think a thicker/stiffer torsion bar would be much better for pavement driving.
:hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom