Another poor mpg thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How is the road noise on the MTRs in an 80? I had old school MTRs on my 60 and I could hear their racket above the v8 and flowmaster, awesome tire but terrible for road noise
I have the "newer" style. You can hear them for sure, but not noisy enough to care. I drive with the windows down 90% of the time and they don't bother me.

How is the road noise on the MTRs in an 80? I had old school MTRs on my 60 and I could hear their racket above the v8 and flowmaster, awesome tire but terrible for road noise
I was going to ask about the road noise as well! I have some 35x12.5 r15 MTR's on my bronco and they aren't that bad on the highway. They make less noise than the 275/65R20 Duratrac's on my F250.

mine are 285/75r16 bfg km2 and they. are. loud.

if i step up to 37s then i'm considering all terrains because of this.

I have the "newer" style. You can hear them for sure, but not noisy enough to care. I drive with the windows down 90% of the time and they don't bother me.

Copy that, I couldnt even make a phone call in my 60 on speaker phone with the windows up wit hthe MTRs which is why I ask. The 80 has more sound deadening so that probably wouldnt be an issue.

I was going to ask about the road noise as well! I have some 35x12.5 r15 MTR's on my bronco and they aren't that bad on the highway. They make less noise than the 275/65R20 Duratrac's on my F250.

That surprises the hell out of me. My duratracs were dang near silent when I had them also. I absolutely love the Duratracs for a winter tire

my 315 KM2s arent bad at all. not super quiet but not loud either. BFG ATs and Duratracs are the 2 quietest tires I have ran

I have Dean SXT MT's 285/75R16 and they are loud also. Putting on 285/75R16 BFG AT ko2's on Friday. After I regear I will step up to 315's in the Coopet ST maxx variety.

Last edited:
That surprises the hell out of me. My duratracs were dang near silent when I had them also. I absolutely love the Duratracs for a winter tire
Tell me about it! I was in the middle of a huge pileup on I-84 10 hours before this happened while towing my 22ft travel trailer. My duratracs paid for themselves that night. 22 deg and rain makes for some nasty ice.

I'm replacing the fuel filter and fuel pump sock/screen thingy.

And new OEM air filter.

This weekend. Maybe tomorrow.

And need to check tire pressure. I'm probably running around 30-32. Should be running higher.

25 psi this morning. Perhaps that has an impact on my mpg...

Drove 85.6 miles today on 7.52 gallons of gas. With a canoe strapped to the roof. 11.3 mpg. That's an improvement. Especially with the parachute on top...

Will be interesting to see what the fuel filter does. I can only imagine what it looks like after nearly 328k miles...

Drove 85.6 miles today on 7.52 gallons of gas. With a canoe strapped to the roof. 11.3 mpg. That's an improvement. Especially with the parachute on top...

Will be interesting to see what the fuel filter does. I can only imagine what it looks like after nearly 328k miles...
I bet it wasn't as sluggish either as before.

Check around the o2 sensor bungs for a leak...can reek havoc on your o2 sensors

Replacing O2 sensors. They are original. 328k and 23+ years. :barefoot: PO was a little lackadaisical with the maintenance.

Oh man, wish you luck with those sensor nuts. Also if they are "original" you are eligible for a SSC for a free replacement.

Replacing O2 sensors. They are original. 328k and 23+ years. :barefoot: PO was a little lackadaisical with the maintenance.

Changing them should help, but I mean the female bung or receptacle that is welded into the exhaust manifolds. they rust and leak and need to be cut out and replaced if leaking. I just had them done and cost 125.

Changing them should help, but I mean the female bung or receptacle that is welded into the exhaust manifolds. they rust and leak and need to be cut out and replaced if leaking. I just had them done and cost 125.
Ouch! I'm looking at new cats and the first inline cat includes the down pipe and bung for $278.

my 95 was suffering from lack of power, opposite of yours but mine felt like lack of fuel, i changed lots or parts, turned out to be o2 sensor making it run lean, your might be running rich,.... , reading about 02 sensors some manufactures recommend to change them every 70k or 100k, no idea if mine was ever changed but with 190k on the clock i changed it and problem fixed, my power was back...there was no check engine light on, i checked ohm reading about a year ago, seems to be doing what the book told me to expect so i ignored it for the next year and spent 500 bucks changing maf, fuel pumps, tps and a bunch of other stuff........doh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom