Another over the frame exhaust thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I added a 1" body lift specifically to be able to run my exhaust over the frame with dual cats. It could be done without the lift, but it creates a lot of heat coming up through the floor. The lift allowed me to add a small heat shield between the exhaust and the floor. At the same time, I rotated the cats 90* so that they provide more ground clearance. I've been running this way for 15+ years without issues.
I haven't dragged it through the hammers though...

I'd like to see pictures as well - I'm in the planning stages (BL ordered, just for this reason)

Ok, I ordered a bunch of tubing, vbands, flanges, and a few different mufflers to see if I get this to work. I'll try to keep both CATS and route the exhaust through that little channel where the rear heater hoses are. I also got exhaust wrap to try keep the heat bareable

Do have a picture of how yours is routed? I have mine going over the frame, but only with a single cat (no body lift) so I can take advantage of the extra height of the front seat mounting point. I'm curious to see how you have yours routed with two cats and still going over the frame. I thought getting one to fit was hard enough, lol
I'd like to see pictures as well - I'm in the planning stages (BL ordered, just for this reason)
Ok, I took a few pics this morning for you.
I used to have a couple shots when I first did it, before the sliders went on, demonstrating the improvement over stock, but they are lost on adead computer. The difference now is that everything is above the bottom of the frame rail.

exhaust 1.jpg

The cats are rotated.
exhaust 2.jpg

Exhaust angles up after the O2 sensor to get above the bottom of the frame.
exhaust 3.jpg

Some generic 50 series muffler...
exhaust 4.jpg

Well, I started, but the 90 degree I need is still in transit so I started the ABS delete, but overtightened one of the brake lines and messed up the seat so now I'm waiting for two parts, but I think it will work...

IMG_20201127_153033.jpg

IMG_20201127_095123.jpg

93-94 dude.. included equipment.
Whoa...totally different perspective there. I should've started my search for a landcruiser with the exhaust. "No lockers? Ok but the exhaust is inside the frame rail right?...ah-huh...ah-huh...ok I'll take it!" :rofl:

Whoa...totally different perspective there. I should've started my search for a landcruiser with the exhaust. "No lockers? Ok but the exhaust is inside the frame rail right?...ah-huh...ah-huh...ok I'll take it!" :rofl:
Yes, choosing a Landcruiser is a complicated matter. Arguably, obd2 is the only reason to buy a 95-97 and that’s not what a Landcruiser is about.

The best Land Cruiser you can own is the one you have. ;) Cheers.

The way some rock sliders are braced, IMHO are just as much of a issue sliding over rocks as the exhaust running under the frame.:rolleyes: 🤷‍♂️
1606591597620.png
1606591689608.png

Yes, choosing a Landcruiser is a complicated matter. Arguably, obd2 is the only reason to buy a 95-97 and that’s not what a Landcruiser is about.
Oh I agree about the decision not being as easy as it seems. That's why I was making the joke about prioritizing exhaust routing.

I made a bit of progress, got everything through the muffler cut and mocked up, but then my welder broke so I spent some time trying to diagnose that.

IMG_20201128_073829.jpg

IMG_20201129_134636.jpg

Ok, well, I broke the millermatic and finally got the new liner and rollers for the Lincoln and got back to work. Was all fired up and got everything through the muffler mocked up, cut the hole for the O2 sensor, welded everything up and...

IMG_20201212_130940.jpg

IMG_20201212_124314.jpg

IMG_20201212_130648.jpg

The bend won't fit over the frame because the studs in the O2 sensor mount are too long...hahaha, I literally laughed out loud when I realized it. I'll see how I feel tomorrow but I might just cut the studs off and weld it together...

Last edited:
Ironically, I'm in the middle of attempting something similar with a 3 inch exhaust. I have been planing it more or less for the majority of COVID because Its technically my daily driver and since I'm not driving it daily, now seemed like a good time to take it apart and try to put it back together.:nailbiting: I was hoping to have it done his week but I decided to go over the frame in the very back as well so I need to order a another v-band to complete that final section.

Because my emissions standards are not real particular about after market cats I'm installing it in line with what is actually a huge resonator in place of a muffler. not sure that set-up is going to cut it (I like a rumble but can't stand clacking) so I added a v-band clamp between the cat and resonator in case I want to go with a more traditional muffler. that said, after putting it all together I doubt there is enough room to do a simple swap. I think the hardest part of this to date has been getting the middle hanger right. Fitting a 3 inch pipe over the frame requires NO play and ridged well placed well ballanced hangers.. In fact I think I'm going to add one more for safe measure. I was thinking about doing a full post with everything I used once its all done.

I want to add an additional consideration regarding heat... with the cat being so far down stream, I had the headers and down pipe coated with the goal of reducing engine compartment heat and pushing it further down, I will also wrap the small section over the frame for the same reasons, lastly I fabricated some added heat shielding for the transfer case.

View attachment 2505543View attachment 2505545View attachment 2505546

Who's your plumber? I haven't seen piping that pretty since my last brewery tour.

Ok, done. I let the studs on the O2 sensor soak in PB blaster overnight and then heated them up with a torch and was able to get them out which made room to tap the holes and use bolts...from there, I still had to cut my slider support to get the darn thing in but was able to wrap it and get everything sorted out. I couldn't remember how the exhaust exited so went down the middle of the truck and left it short...might route it to the side, but for now it's all good. The only issue is one rattle at the front...

IMG_20201213_114640.jpg

IMG_20201213_114130.jpg

IMG_20201213_114115.jpg

IMG_20201213_114112.jpg

IMG_20201213_112941.jpg

I decided to use a few clamps in case I need to take it apart or replace a piece in the future...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom