Another over the frame exhaust thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I've read a ton of threads but most of them involve eliminating a CAT to go over the frame on a 1997, which I don't want to do for fear of the smog czars...but I think I can keep the cats where they are and sneak over where the rear heater hoses are...I will bypass the rear heater since I managed to crush them. Has anybody done this? What am I missing?

P.S. Johnson Valley kicked my ass:)

IMG_20201124_095136.jpg

IMG_20201124_095144.jpg

IMG_20201124_095158.jpg

IMG_20201124_095322.jpg

I like the wire holding it all in place.

Following because I would also like to go over the frame and keep 2 cats. My exhaust is pretty buggered in that spot. The only other thing I can think of is an "exhaust skidplate" with a ramp up and down shape to it. Seems pretty dumb :hillbilly:

Time for a new spotter.

I think the problem was the driver and trying to fit a big ass truck through a little tiny place ..hahaha

I think I can fit 2.25 tube up and over keeping the two cats. Need to find a small muffler like one of those 18" long 6" round ones...

Ironically, I'm in the middle of attempting something similar with a 3 inch exhaust. I have been planing it more or less for the majority of COVID because Its technically my daily driver and since I'm not driving it daily, now seemed like a good time to take it apart and try to put it back together.:nailbiting: I was hoping to have it done his week but I decided to go over the frame in the very back as well so I need to order a another v-band to complete that final section.

Because my emissions standards are not real particular about after market cats I'm installing it in line with what is actually a huge resonator in place of a muffler. not sure that set-up is going to cut it (I like a rumble but can't stand clacking) so I added a v-band clamp between the cat and resonator in case I want to go with a more traditional muffler. that said, after putting it all together I doubt there is enough room to do a simple swap. I think the hardest part of this to date has been getting the middle hanger right. Fitting a 3 inch pipe over the frame requires NO play and ridged well placed well ballanced hangers.. In fact I think I'm going to add one more for safe measure. I was thinking about doing a full post with everything I used once its all done.

I want to add an additional consideration regarding heat... with the cat being so far down stream, I had the headers and down pipe coated with the goal of reducing engine compartment heat and pushing it further down, I will also wrap the small section over the frame for the same reasons, lastly I fabricated some added heat shielding for the transfer case.

IMG_1199.jpg
IMG_1220.jpg
IMG_1195.jpg

Last edited:
That wire plus 2 wratchet straps got me home, every other mount broke...

If it makes you feel better I did the same thing and ran with bailing wire mounts for about 3 weeks. I always keep a large spool in the truck. Awesome for trail repairs. I even once used it and a few sticks to make a grill grate to cool some fish.

Made some noise but worked just fine.

One of the wratchet straps melted going down the 15...might have lost the tire:( but learned a lesson, not sure what it is yet but...😀

IMG_20201115_082413.jpg

Might try something like this to keep the muffler out of the propeller and off the rocks..

One of the wratchet straps melted going down the 15...might have lost the tire:( but learned a lesson, not sure what it is yet but...😀

View attachment 2505571
Look like mostly the side biters are damaged ? Those tires have a thick side wall I wouldn't worry about that.

Are you going to run the stock resonator?

Im sure the tire is fine.

I added a 1" body lift specifically to be able to run my exhaust over the frame with dual cats. It could be done without the lift, but it creates a lot of heat coming up through the floor. The lift allowed me to add a small heat shield between the exhaust and the floor. At the same time, I rotated the cats 90* so that they provide more ground clearance. I've been running this way for 15+ years without issues.
I haven't dragged it through the hammers though...

Look like mostly the side biters are damaged ? Those tires have a thick side wall I wouldn't worry about that.

Yeah, I dont think it went through, I will pull it off and take a really good look just to make sure, but Im not too worried about it.

Are you going to run the stock resonator?

Im sure the tire is fine.

Im going to try and get something a bit smaller than the space station that the truck came with, it will help with clearances too...

If mine was more than a DD, I would have this. Pretty strong price wise but looks awesome and like it'd be a forever fix.

I added a 1" body lift specifically to be able to run my exhaust over the frame with dual cats. It could be done without the lift, but it creates a lot of heat coming up through the floor. The lift allowed me to add a small heat shield between the exhaust and the floor. At the same time, I rotated the cats 90* so that they provide more ground clearance. I've been running this way for 15+ years without issues.
I haven't dragged it through the hammers though...

Do have a picture of how yours is routed? I have mine going over the frame, but only with a single cat (no body lift) so I can take advantage of the extra height of the front seat mounting point. I'm curious to see how you have yours routed with two cats and still going over the frame. I thought getting one to fit was hard enough, lol

Might try something like this to keep the muffler out of the propeller and off the rocks..

If you run that. Let’s us know if it’s not too loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom