another leaf spring question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

timmbuck2

SILVER Star
Threads
OK, next question.
smile.gif
Got 4 leafs from a donor 4...aAfter some MUD research, I decided to go ahead and take them apart, wire wheel, prime and paint, then use some slip plate. Only issue are the leaf wraps. None of the threads I found really mentioned them, just said "dissesemble and paint'. 1 thread said to pry them off, then straighten, drill a hole, then put in a bolt. Has anyone done any of this to their wraps? It took a lot of muscle just to straighten 1 of the arms on each wrap, I can't imagine trying to completely straighten them all. Any ideas? They are looking awesome after cleaning and painting, should get the slip plate early next week. Thanks all!

Timm

ps-hmmm....the leaf wraps are stamped "Made in Canada".....that can't be right for stock springs, can it??

Got a torch? Heat them up and bend them. It's been a long time, but that's how I did it.

Stock springs were not made in Canada.

if you have access to a tig welder, use it. it keeps the heat in the spring clamp. its the dogs bollocks.:beer:

If you want a tiny bit more flex leave the front spring retainer bent or cut off the wrap and leave the sides like a U...........

thanks for the advice guys. Any other ideas if I don't have a torch or welder? :) I was planning on trying my bench vise with maybe a propane torch. Any chance of doing any damage to the leafs if use a torch? Tahnks again all...

T

before i figured out the tig trick, i used a hammer and screw driver to peel the clamp off the spring surface. i followed with a pair of channel lock pliers to straighten them up. once the pack is pulled apart you can use a bench vise and big hammer to flatten the mangled clamps out. i plan to leave the clamps open and then weld straps across the tops of them to contain the spring leaves loosely.
:beer:

btw, a propane or mapp gas torch probably won't be hot enough. i don't know what temperatures will affect the spring rate.

I did all mine on the garage floor. Used a big chisle (spelling?) to bend them away from the spring and a big punch and big hammer to straighten them all out. Then drilled near the end for 3/8 bolts through some small tube. Lots of work for the outcome but I can take the springs apart as many times as I like now without worrying about the wraps breaking from bending back and forth. I did weld some cross pieces on once, then couldnt take the springs apart without cutting them off- oops. Heres a poser pic...
Spring wraps.jpg

awwww c'mon, cutting and welding is fun! :D i do admire those spring wrap bolts, nice work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom