Builds Another FJ40 to FJ45ish Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doors are rebuilt with new gaskets and hardware. In the head scratching phase for rock sliders (hence the random wooden board). Getting there even if very slowly.

830F1E28-6094-4045-86C6-A30656789E88.jpeg

I'm pretty blown away - awesome work all around. As far as the silders go, what are you requirements on top of rocker protection? Steps and/or kickers?

Thanks. I need to protect the rockers regardless but I am debating whether they will also be a step. The way the cab tapers and the way the cab meets the bed leaves a lot of questions. I am considering going two inches or thereabouts proud of the bed and then running that line to the cab/bed juncture and then tapering in on the way to the front fenders. Whether I keep that two inch proud spacing or whether I run it more like the factory steps so that it extends toward the outer edge of the front fender is where I am struggling. I think I want to keep the factory steps so I dont need the rocker to fill that role. I would be interested in pictures of how others have done rock sliders on a 45 (or in my case a 45ish vehicle).

Thanks. I need to protect the rockers regardless but I am debating whether they will also be a step. The way the cab tapers and the way the cab meets the bed leaves a lot of questions. I am considering going two inches or thereabouts proud of the bed and then running that line to the cab/bed juncture and then tapering in on the way to the front fenders. Whether I keep that two inch proud spacing or whether I run it more like the factory steps so that it extends toward the outer edge of the front fender is where I am struggling. I think I want to keep the factory steps so I dont need the rocker to fill that role. I would be interested in pictures of how others have done rock sliders on a 45 (or in my case a 45ish vehicle).
Waiting for your idea to be put on paper for a visual.

I am not much of an artist, and that might be an understatement. I think I will mock it up in wood and see what makes sense. I am starting to lean toward having it project 2 inches or so and just following the body line. I want to use the factory steps so I think using them as a step might be unnecessary. I will post a pic once I get close. Still interested in how others have done it though so if you have pics I am totally interested.

Over the top build !!!!!!!!!!! NICE WORK

Thanks for posting and Happy Holidays

Got the rock sliders partially fabbed. About 8 degrees of deviation between the cab and bed. Going with 3/4 inch from the body. I am tying the cage into these sliders so there is quite a bit of fabrication left but here is where things are at this point.

DE7C1F19-7C76-476F-AB5E-3AE481F2DC21.jpeg

7E9EE2CB-3CC4-4899-A35A-E63D6D528881.jpeg

Nice work on the 45 build and the sliders. I am plan to take a similar approach for sliders on my build. Looking forward to your finished product.

Some progress on the sliders. At least a test fit. Bolted on loosely. The forward gusseted bracket was necessary to create a mount for the internal roll cage. I am mounting this roll cage through urethane bushings between the cage and frame for what it’s worth so there is flex built into the system.

8EB57093-C574-43EA-AA73-6F3A95AF0BBD.jpeg

B708E28D-85F0-40F6-B9CD-C60212959298.jpeg

There is only so much room in a cab, something will have to give. Since it was impossible to X-brace my rear hoop in the early cab and have comfortable seating positions, I chose to have a straight horizontal bar instead.

I found this picture on FB that has a set of nice bucket seats installed. The seating position looks great!

View attachment 2418602

I am far from an expert but the brace at the head position looks pretty dangerous to me. Unless he plans to wear a helmet all the time.

I am far from an expert but the brace at the head position looks pretty dangerous to me. Unless he plans to wear a helmet all the time.
It is a good point. I am putting slim profile high back seats in this truck so the passenger should not be hitting their head on anything other than the seat. The only reason I didnt X brace is was because I needed the ability to move the driver seat a little further to the rear. I figure the passenger doesn't have a steering wheel or pedals to worry with so they can have two inches less adjustment.

This truck is so nice. Will you be able to use it hardcore? I don’t think I could do it.
Hard to say. A dedicated rock buggy is next on the project list. I think this truck will just run local trails and do some snow wheeling without too much potential for being on its top. My goal here was to make sure my daughter and I survive a rollover offroad if I misjudge a line and also that we had the ability to get up some real terrain without having to make momentum be our constant friend. I see some moab in this truck's future but nothing I would take a dedicated rock buggy on.

I wish. I am struggling with the blinker/hazard wiring as well as the wiper and heater motor wiring. I put a painless harness in this build and I am having a hard time integrating the toyota electrical with a harness built for a ford or chevy. I think I have the heater and wipers figured out. The blinker and hazard circuit is still a mystery to me. If anyone has a callout on connecting a painless harness to the toyota switches I would be extremely grateful. Otherwise the truck is basically done except glass, exhaust, air compressor and a few other details.

I don't have a callout for the plugs, but the way I reintegrated my painless into the Toyota was the GM way, both the blinkers and the hazards get their own flasher. It's easier to integrate that way, instead of running flasher power first through the hazard switch, then to the blinkers.

How many circuits is your painless? I'll dig out my notes if we have the same painless harness. I have the 21 circuit harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom