Builds Another FJ40 to FJ45ish Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been working on a heavily modified FJ 40 to FJ 45 type of build for a while. Over the next little while I plan to post some pics for reference. Happy to answer any questions. Here is the starting point which was a 69 FJ40 basket case. One of two I bought.

A1945E8E-840C-432C-A4CA-1620E803C04E.jpeg

Adding 17 inches to the wheel base. This is an old section of FJ40 frame. Fish plates coming next. The goal is to use the later cab which is about 2 inches deeper with the older bed which is another two inches longer.

26263B1E-25D4-4675-8FAA-089959B84BC8.jpeg

Starting to install fish plates. The inside of the frame gets shorter fish plates at the joints. A close friend has cut more Jeep frames than anyone in the country and this was the method he recommended based on their experience. Yes, we discussed 30-45 degree frame cuts. I decided to not reinvent the wheel.

B4CDBEF7-2DE8-40E7-BC77-A5AC89EEA625.jpeg

7E55F159-90DB-4BFF-A881-27D1773CF0FF.jpeg

My daughter admiring the Awltech 3B engine mounts. This truck will get a Toyota 3B diesel with turbo. I plan to drive it without a turbo first just to see the difference myself.

3B79012F-678C-4A0C-82CF-C4E1D21C6C6E.jpeg

Great build, that 69 is far from a basket case!!! Did you already kill it! Nice og paint survivor!

Nice, I've been thinking about doing this to my 69 for years. I like the way my half cab turned out and has plenty of leg room. Just been hesitant to cut the frame.

For the frame, I just made sure it was straight and square measuring from pre-determined points. Then, with the stretch I squared it up and tacked in place. I cant recall if I adjusted it any but it will move with the tac welds. For this job diagonals are your friend for sure.
I didnt get any good pictures of the frame along the long axis but the frame does go from tapering to straight through the splice. This is a good stretched 40 thread and he has some good pictures of how the frame stretch looks.
You could do a tube frame with a little more work too but I had a 40 frame and parts to do this build so I went that direction.

A few pics from the spring over axle conversion. I rebuilt these with all new koyo bearings, seals, etc. Axles got 5.29’s and lockers front and rear. Lunch box locker in the rear. Air locker up front.

9B824D5F-DF1F-4D26-B6C8-7163B9189117.jpeg

41E98387-F580-4A08-932C-42ED0BF09941.jpeg

123399C6-490B-4702-88ED-AB1D79B9C048.jpeg

I am loving this build! It's good motivation for me. I need to think about axles, so I'm glad you posted all of this. It'll help me when I get to that point. Thanks!

Glad you like the info. I struggled with the lift and gearing myself. I wanted to go low with no lift but didn’t want to cut body panels if I could avoid it. The gearing is pretty easy in the end analysis since we know tire size, target for top end and low end speed and the old gearing. Might have to trim the bed since I plan to run 37’s but hoping to avoid it. The spring over is a lot of lift. About 5.5 inches.

Last edited:
Glad you like the info. I struggled with the lift and gearing myself. I wanted to go low with no lift but didn’t want to cut body panels if I could avoid it. The gearing is pretty easy in the end analysis since we know tire size, target tom for sped and the old gearing. Might have to trim the bed since I plan to run 37’s by hoping to avoid it. The spring over is a lot of lift. About 5.5 inches.

Good to know. I was wondering how much lift you get out of it. I may go this way as well and follow your lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom