Another Drawer System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished installing the main drawer box- will be doing the "wings" to close up the sides hopefully by the end of the week.

Construction is pretty simple, the box and drawers are both glued and screwed, everything countersunk. The top is the only part made of the thicker plywood; Baltic Birch plywood looks nice and allows for greater strength with less thickness, so less weight, but costs a bunch more than regular plywood.

Finishing was done by sanding up to 150 grit with a random orbit sander, then using a spray on polyurethane finish.

The drawers are anchored to the 3rd row seatbelt bolts, the 3rd row seat pivot, and the front set of cargo tiedowns. They could've been bolted to the brackets with a bottom sheet of plywood, but I didn't use a solid sheet for the bottom to save weight (see pic). The anchoring setup looks a little goofy, but the drawers don't move at all now, hold my weight at full extension, and don't rattle a bit.

What was used:
2 pairs of Lee Valley 250 lb. 36" slides
3 sheets 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood
1 sheet 5/8" Baltic Birch (Baltic Birch comes in 5'X5' sheets, not 4x8)
Scrap Mahogany for trim
5 cans of Ace Hardware brand Polyurethane spray finish
6 2.5" hasps
6 turnbuckles
2 Draw latches
Misc screws, glue
Tablesaw
Router w/table
Bandsaw
Drill
Random Orbit Sander

Total: somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 and a lot of time

What I would've done differently: Make the top one piece rather than shape and support the side pieces; use sanding sealer before applying finish, though I'm pretty happy with how the spray on polyurethane has worked, and the Ace brand is a little over half the price of Minwax branded spray cans.
resizedWinter Break 023.jpg
resizedWinter Break 024.jpg
resizedWinter Break 003.jpg

Nice job indeed. I'm looking to do something similar in my 4Runner. How difficult was it to properly level and screw the slides into the sides of the drawer?

I'm about to start on mine too. Just so you know Baltic birch is available in 1/2" and 3/4" in 4'X8' sheets. Also don't worry about not making the top one piece, if you did it wouldn't fit through the door. That's what I'm pondering right now.

I'm about to start on mine too. Just so you know Baltic birch is available in 1/2" and 3/4" in 4'X8' sheets. Also don't worry about not making the top one piece, if you did it wouldn't fit through the door. That's what I'm pondering right now.

Good to know on the plywood, the lumber store I got mine from only had 5x5's. I got the "wings" figured out and cut today, measured distances from the box to the car wall at a few points then penciled in the curves and shaped the pieces with the bandsaw. For supports I'm running a 1/2 inch thick strip of scrap wood along the side of the box and have a couple supports from the wing to the floor, and maybe a front piece, should have pics of it when I fit the wings tomorrow.

Nice job indeed. I'm looking to do something similar in my 4Runner. How difficult was it to properly level and screw the slides into the sides of the drawer?

Leveling was the easy part; just measured off the bottom of the box at an arbitrary height at front and back and drew a centerline for the slides. With the bottom of my box open in places, it wasn't real bad at all. To screw the drawers into the slides, we set the box on end, fit the drawers into their holds and marked where the slides should be on the drawers (slide is already mounted in the box), then removed the drawers, drew the centerline, extended the slides vertically, screwed the drawers in, and then it was done. Sounds complicated, but fairly simple in practice. The tough part is making sure your clearances between the frame and the drawer body are to spec, we ended up shimming the slides a little bit and it wasn't a problem.

Wow. Nice work.

Got the wings done

Shaped and mounted the wings- each has a support rail running along the main box, then just 2 other supports. some flex at the very back with point loading (only used 1/2" baltic for the wings), but I can access the space behind the wheelwell pretty easily this way. The left side is hinged so access to the stock jack location is still available; each wing is held in with 2 screws, so easy to take out if need be.
resizedWinter Break 027.jpg
resizedWinter Break 033.jpg

Nice looking drawer! I like the birch as well.

some flex at the very back with point loading

I had the same issue on mine. To mitigate this I made 2 spacer blocks of wood that screwed to the top of the wheel well using the bolt that held the seat bracket. Although I see you have the seat brackets in place, perhaps you can add something that mounts on top of them to support the wing. Maybe you already have and I missed that.

Lookin' good. I got started on mine today. It's gonna be alot less pretty than yours. I'm going to get it line-x'd:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom