Another Center Arm ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got enough time and day lite to adjust the arm, It only turned approx half to 3/4 of a turn tho, Will that show enough improvement over all or should I be prepared to rebuild?
Thanks

How much slop is still left in it?

Did you check that after adjusting it?

Grab hold of the link between the bellcrank and the steering gear and try and move it up and down....watch the bellcrank and see how much slop is still there...

I told you it was a stupid question. I had the tires off of it to get it ready to adjust the drums so I wasn't able to drive it. Just wanted to know if a half turn would take out any play or not...

OK, I put the drums on and drove it today and it still has plenty of play in the wheel. So, is it the center arm, TRE's or something else?
Lemme know

Thanks
Kevin

The only way to really see where your play is is with a partner. Have them rocke the steering wheel back and fourth (not actually teurning the wheels, but almost). Now you crawl under and look for the play.... Does the center arm rock back and fourth or does it turn smoothly? Are the rod ends the source? or maybe the steering box?
There is no substitute for quality time under your rig looking......
PMK
nspctr1 said:
OK, I put the drums on and drove it today and it still has plenty of play in the wheel. So, is it the center arm, TRE's or something else?
Lemme know

Thanks
Kevin

The center arm still rocks back and forth but not as much, When I tightened up the adjustment I backed it off about a quarter of a turn so I will snug it back down but not too tight, I do know the TRE's are shot and need replacing but was wondering If I should rebuild the center arm or not, Probably will do it just because, When I tightened the nut the whole cap went in about 1 thread inside the casing so is there more adjustment that can be made or is it bottoming out?

Kevin

nspctr1 said:
The center arm still rocks back and forth but not as much..

The center arm will rock back and forth around the pivot that it rotates on....movement up and down on that pivot is the bad movement.

Check your ragjoint as well, mine was worn out and was introducing a ton of slop... (Its the rubber disc looking joint at top of the steering gear).

I have read in previous posts that movement side to side is bad, kinda like a straw in a cup? Sorry, all I could think of at the moment. The rag joint appears good and the play appears to begin at the center arm and down through the TRE's. I rechecked the center arm adjustment and snugged it up again after driving it. Hopefully the TRE's will come in soon and we can narrow it down from there.....

Thanks
Kevin

It has been my experience that once it starts rocking back and forth, its shot. The only way I could get that slop out was to overtightening it, and then the steering refused to return to center.
BTW, You should post in the wanted section for this, a lot of them get tossed out when people swap to saginaw.
PMK

I have been told that lateral movement is what indicates a bad center arm.

Is a rebuilt sufficient, or should a whole new unit be swapped in? I am under the impression there is a cone bushing inside that is the major culprit after years of abuse.

Thanks

I ended up rebuilding mine, There is a kit available but it's been so long ago I don't remember where I got it. There is a brass "cone" bushing inside and mine had a pretty good spot worn in it but after going through the system replacing tre's, center arm etc I think the TRE's were the major contributor. What I ended up doing on adjusting the center arm was I tightened it down to where the steering wheel would not return to center then backed it off a quarter of a turn. seems ok now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom