Center Arm Swap - late model arm to 67 frame - any info? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since no one has a rebuild kit and the only thing I can find close is a couple of misc parts from SOR for $120 (!) I'm wondering if it's possible to swap a later model center arm onto my 67 frame. I know the mount looks different. Every Cruiser parts seller out there has the later model rebuild kit and later model arms seem easy to find. Has anyone done this? Pics? Thanks.

Would think it's possible. The early style has a bracket riveted to the bottom of the side frame rail. Later the side frame rail is boxed and uses bolts for the center arm. Would be harder to switch the new style to the earlier style. Are the complete center arms readily available?

the crossmember would need a tapered shim, as the later crossmember is shaped different than the early style

I thought @cruiseroutfitters had kits for the early center arm??

the crossmember would need a tapered shim, as the later crossmember is shaped different than the early style

Later I wondered if the crossmember changed 6/69 with the center arm change.

Didn't do any research on the complete later center arm availability. Probably a ton around from power steering conversions. The few I have were because of that reason.

Would think it's possible. The early style has a bracket riveted to the bottom of the side frame rail. Later the side frame rail is boxed and uses bolts for the center arm. Would be harder to switch the new style to the earlier style. Are the complete center arms readily available

They're listed on their website but "call for availability" so gonna do that Monday. Still around $300 though.

They're listed on their website but "call for availability" so gonna do that Monday. Still around $300 though.

Kurt may chime in if he is around

the early crossmember is square tube, first 2 pics
later crossmember is square at the bib hinge then is rotated vertical to the frame rail, last 2 pics
the later version also needs the inner frame piece to bolt to versus the outer frame of the early center arm

seems some work is involved versus rebuilding yours

DSCF5412.JPG

DSCF5413.JPG

DSCF5414.JPG

DSCF5415.JPG

the early crossmember is square tube, first 2 pics
later crossmember is square at the bib hinge then is rotated vertical to the frame rail, last 2 pics
the later version also needs the inner frame piece to bolt to versus the outer frame of the early center arm

seems some work is involved versus rebuilding yours

View attachment 3521755

View attachment 3521756

View attachment 3521757

View attachment 3521758

OK Thanks for that, very informative. Yeah I think I'll just rebuild mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom