Another aftermarket stereo option for 100s with Nav? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LCMoneyPit

SILVER Star
Threads
So, this 2006 LC just came up for sale in Texas. No affiliation. Check out how the aftermarket stereo is done up: 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 188k Miles Recent Timing Belt Great Shape -.... Has anyone ever seen this setup before? I've attached a couple of pics for posterity.
aftermarket stereo pic.jpg
aftermarket stereo pic 2.jpg

People do this sometimes. I have a similar set up in my 2006. It involes using a 68ohm resistor to keep the navigation/ AC system functioning. The clever part of this install is the custom plastic “fascia” that has space for a double din. Important to note for anyone looking to go down this road is a full depth din radio will not fit flush. This install is using an alpine w650. Which is a shallow mount double din radio and really great in my opinion(who needs full depth when no one uses CDs anymore?) I have w650s in 3 other vehicles and highly recommend.

People do this sometimes. I have a similar set up in my 2006. It involes using a 68ohm resistor to keep the navigation/ AC system functioning. The clever part of this install is the custom plastic “fascia” that has space for a double din. Important to note for anyone looking to go down this road is a full depth din radio will not fit flush. This install is using an alpine w650. Which is a shallow mount double din radio and really great in my opinion(who needs full depth when no one uses CDs anymore?) I have w650s in 3 other vehicles and highly recommend.

Thanks! I've been focusing purely on the Tesla style screen options and had missed that thread completely.

That reminds me of my first car, a 1983 Toyota Corrolla! It had a double din that I remember it was so low that my knees were higher than it.

I haven't seen that setup before but it looks pretty terrible. Even with all of the Tesla screen problems, it looks a lot better than that.
So questionable signal output, crappy Chinese android unit, expensive dash parts retrofit, and lots of reported flare issues... but looks better....yikes

So questionable signal output, crappy Chinese android unit, expensive dash parts retrofit, and lots of reported flare issues... but looks better....yikes
I suppose there are compromises with all of the options. I'll stick to my grom bt3 and maintain my oem appearance.

Without a doubt this type of install looks nowhere near as seamless as the “GROM”, or the tesla style headunit, but this is for those who want sound quality and more control. It’s also cheaper than the tesla unit. These kind of radio installs and the non-nav conversion are just about the only options for high fidelity.
975F4953-79B7-41FA-9455-297E78A67C67.jpeg

I mean there's always the Grom VLine VL2

How do you handle climate controls?
I moved the original mfd inside the center console. In my case I leave my ac in auto 95% of the time. In times I needed to make adjustments I used open the center console and proceed with adjustments.

Without spending 2K and months sourcing parts for the non-nav conversion, this really looks like the best option.

Do you have details on how you fit it?

Without spending 2K and months sourcing parts for the non-nav conversion, this really looks like the best option.

Do you have details on how you fit it?
I still have all the parts...
Build thread:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom