Aftermarket head unit (stereo) for 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, just installed a Jensen CAR1013 unit in my 1998 LC. For those of you with non-navigation systems this is a great option IMO. The screen is 10.1” so it fits the size of the vehicle better and it articulates for different viewing angles. Bought it through Crutchfield and they were great to work with. I’m in no way associated with either Crutchfield or Jensen just wanted to throw this out there for anyone looking to replace their dated systems.

IMG_2706.jpeg

Hey all, just installed a Jensen CAR1013 unit in my 1998 LC. For those of you with non-navigation systems this is a great option IMO. The screen is 10.1” so it fits the size of the vehicle better and it articulates for different viewing angles. Bought it through Crutchfield and they were great to work with. I’m in no way associated with either Crutchfield or Jensen just wanted to throw this out there for anyone looking to replace their dated systems.

View attachment 3565699
Awesome does it work with steering wheel controls and backup camera?

I don't think the '98 came w/ steering wheel controls nor backup camera. I am sure an aftermarket camera can be added.

View attachment 3565699
Is it working with wireless bluetooth CarPlay?

The
Yes, there are connections for both, and in time I might add a backup camera. I wasn’t keen on pulling apart the center console to attach to the reverse wire this time around.

View attachment 3565699
Looking at the reviews on Crutchfield it appears people are generally happy with this unit.

I see in the install kit provided by Crutchfield that they include a "cubby" that I assume is meant to go under the single-din amplifier portion of the unit. Did you receive/use this? Are you able to access that cubby when the unit is in place? (I understand the screen can be adjusted up/down but it's unclear to me from customer photos here and on Crutchfield if the cubby can be reached with the screen in place)

How is the range of brightness on the unit? is it too bright at night? How customizable are the background (behind the "windows") colors in the user interface?

How is the sound quality? Are you using factory or aftermarket speakers? Did this head unit replace a stock unit, or something else?

Thank you for sharing your experiences! I'm kind of excited about this unit, it seems to check a lot of boxes for me!

Looking at the reviews on Crutchfield it appears people are generally happy with this unit.

I see in the install kit provided by Crutchfield that they include a "cubby" that I assume is meant to go under the single-din amplifier portion of the unit. Did you receive/use this? Are you able to access that cubby when the unit is in place? (I understand the screen can be adjusted up/down but it's unclear to me from customer photos here and on Crutchfield if the cubby can be reached with the screen in place)

How is the range of brightness on the unit? is it too bright at night? How customizable are the background (behind the "windows") colors in the user interface?

How is the sound quality? Are you using factory or aftermarket speakers? Did this head unit replace a stock unit, or something else?

Thank you for sharing your experiences! I'm kind of excited about this unit, it seems to check a lot of boxes for me!
I should preface all this by saying that my LC is a Japanese Market one and the previous owner did a ton of work on the stereo system, most of which I have not thoroughly explored. I’m not sure if the speakers are stock but I don’t believe they are because the speaker cables I plugged into were aftermarket. I pulled out a Carrazario (Pioneer) head unit that was top of the line in Japan about 10 years ago.
The cubby piece was included with the purchase of the head unit and I ended up not using it. It’s very small and would’ve been difficult to access even with the screen in the highest position. I just used the din cover that came with the Jensen. (See attached pic with screen removed)
I’m fine with the sound quality so far, I did have to turn the bass way down because it was really thumping. Again, I believe that’s a result of the previous owner’s system.
I have the brightness in auto mode and so far it seems fine to me. Not too bright at night and plenty bright during the day.
If I have to point out a downside it would be that the main Jensen menu, (when not in CarPlay) is a bit boring. I’ve tried a couple of different backgrounds and they’re all about the same. You can change the LED light colors on the bottom knobs and buttons which is kinda cool.
Hope this helps!

IMG_2715.jpeg

Sorry man. Honestly I wasn’t even considering this when I went with a 98 but the simplicity of the layout is definitely preferred. Even the climate control is just knobs and physical buttons.
There are definitely good things about an 05' but the head unit is not one of them lol I really wish all manufactures would go to climate control separate from the screen, its just horrible with them integrated.

There are definitely good things about an 05' but the head unit is not one of them lol I really wish all manufactures would go to climate control separate from the screen, its just horrible with them integrated.
If your looking for aftermarket carplay/android auto I installed a gromm system that works with the buttons on steering wheel keeping the same original screen and I'm able to switch over to climate controls and everything else minus the systems downloaded maps because I have it to pull up carplay when I press maps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom