Another 40 series renovation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice write-up. Any problems since then that have made you redo something?

Romer said:
Nice write-up. Any problems since then that have made you redo something?

Limited problems have appeared that I have had to address.

1) The POR'd stuff is holding up great (a lot of stuff was blasted, etched and painted, then sat for months before getting put on). I think POR is all in the prep.

2) The engine rear main seal is leaking again, and I have not dealt with it.

3) I routed the blowby tube into the frame rail. After the frame was sprayed numerous times with two part epoxy primer the seams were sealed. The seam sealer started to expand right where the blowby tube was located. It now is simply dumping into the atmosphere per stock; I washed out the frame, and misted a combination of fluid film and boeshield into the entire frame rail area.

4) I did a 1/2" body lift at the same time. I would not do it again. The BJ series requires the battery trays lifted so the fenders can move up, and then the usual other items impacted: Front bib, steering box, fender mounts on the frame, etc. I still have the old frame. Idle thoughts are to redo the whole thing on a galvanized frame, taking out the body lift. That would be a retirement project, so no rush. By that time the engine can be redone.

5) Somehow I missed a PO wiring nightmare for two years before I took it apart. The Toyota 12V evil center tap headlight system for a 24V truck was botched, and I had an uneven load on the batteries. The long road trip back from Moab with my headlights on cooked one battery. I repeatedly washed the engine bay/fender inners with baking soda, etc, so all was okay there, however about 6-12 months later I noticed a slight bubble forming on the hood where the main inner brace is. The acid was too much for the zinc phosphating, and I had not thought to spray these concealed areas with a rust inhibitor/penetrant. I now have been, at least twice a year since it was noticed, and it has not expanded, nor has any other areas shown up.

6) I have not seen any issues with bi-metal reactions, however I believe I was quite thorough, making sure there was a barrier where needed. If I ever take the thing apart to take out the lift and put it on a galvanized frame I would think I would discover if there were any issues.

7) The high/low shifter hole had to be expanded to the right, as the cut-out supplied in the tranny cover from Aqualu was not large enough.

That is all I can think of, or have seen in the last 4 years. All in all I am happy with the result; it seems to be holding up well. If I think of anything else I will post it.

gb

Last edited:
very nice build, I am going the Aqualu tub myself, did you have any issues mounting the bottom of the A-pillar to the tub where the door opening curls towards the back? No one shows how this it cut on the old cowl and how to bolt it to the tub. I guess when its time I will figure it out. My '83 BJ42 is Nordic blue, but I am still unsure about the colour I will go in the end. Probably a custom gun metal grey will be my final choice. I still have time to mull it over.
How did you find Redi-dip to deal with? I might take my cowl there for dipping and galvanizing or have it blasted and then Zinga cold galvanize the cowl myself.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom