Annual Ham Radio Swap Meet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I seriously doubt that prospective members are getting turned off by yet another gadget for our rigs! CB is fine for most runs, if not all for the types of run that we do. However, maybe someday, we'll actually do a "serious" run where we'll be out in the boonies for more than, oh I don't know, five hours? 2M radios could come in handy in that instance if the group gets spread out for what ever reason.

It'd be a shame not to take advantage of the Mega Link Amateur radio network that NM has provided for us.

I'd like to check out the HAM fest. Talk about some serious dudes and their gadgets; unlike Landcruiser freaks!

I'm sticking with my CB. I got it for Christmas and gosh darnit...I'm gonna use it.

I do like that some others will have the capability, as Steve said, to use theirs for the help of the group if needed. It's kind of like the wacko's in Santa Fe who don't immunize their kids. I'm gonna rely on everyone else so I don't get sick (herd immunity).

I can think of other mods I will use more often than the radio at this time.

G

We ought to pickup couple of HTs for cheap if there are any at the swap meet.

I'm with Greg on this one. While I see the value of having 2M on a run, especially on lead and gun, for general use I can't justify the time and $ for the majority of us.

I'm going to resurrect this thread. I'm changing my mind, which I've actually been doing since this thread was started. I bought the study materials last June to get my license. Now I just need to finish reading them and take the test.

The value of 2 meter proved itself this weekend. I'm not going to say that everybody should take the plunge, and I still think there is value to CB for general use. But, in situations like this weekend, there was no argument that HAM was the best tool. And I'm going to take the plunge.

Last edited:
The value of 2 meter proved itself this weekend. I'm not going to say that everybody should take the plunge, and I still think there is value to CB for general use. But, in situations like this weekend, there was no argument that HAM was the best tool. And I'm going to take the plunge.

K5RAT clear.

x100

The Ham radios were having clear transmissions and had great range.

I too would like to get into this Ham deal. Can someone direct me towards the study materials.

Thanks,
Vince

Thanks Jon.

An interesting discussion I missed before. The Ham radios have proven themselves so many times, that further argument is almost unnecessary. An entry level Ham radio is about the same money as a decent CB set up, so there really isn't a financial argument. The Tech test is so crazy easy that your best bet is to just sign up for the next available day, read the book and take the test. That takes one or two evenings. The test and license cost $14 for 10 years. That's not a hardship for anyone.

The pay off is clear communication. How oftern are the CBs not working? How often is the tail of the group out of range? How often do you get horrible skip from Mexico? None of this is even an issue with Ham radio.

I thought I would also mention an interesting incident at Rubithon where we rescued a guy with a head and spine injury who had rolled off Cadillac Hill in his FJ40. We were able to summon a rescue helicopter, and I was able to speak to the crew in the rescue helicopter from the scene via a HT patched into a cross band repeating radio in another truck. There is no cell coverage there, and we were way out of range of the CB to Rubicon Springs. Had that not worked, we also had decent repeater coverage to a station that easily could have relayed the distress call. This guy lived, and through no small measure due to the radio communication link. Without radio, it was at least an 2 hours over very rough terrain to help in Lake Tahoe-too far for this guy to survive (he ended up with a 2 month hospital stay)

Anyway--I'm hoping to visit your little slice of paradise in the next year, and I'm wondering if I should dust off my CB?:D

BTW-If you have an extra $50, by far, the easiest way to study and pass the test, is: www.hamtestonline.com. Don't waste your money on the ARRL book if you go this route.

Getting off soap box now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom