..and in today's news... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zjohnsonua

SILVER Star
Threads
Scroll down to "3rd Gear" and check out what's going on in Michigan via NJ regarding death wobble. Poor understanding of front end mechanics, chassis dynamics, and tire construction by Jeep's Service Department just landed the mother ship in a class-action lawsuit.

I've got a friend with a 2016 Wrangler. 35's, proper suspension with an adjustable track bar, proper gearing as well as an ox cable Locker.

He commented on how my CS005 front and rear sprung 60 was more quiet and comfortable than his. Handling is a wash, but at least it doesn't death wobble.

Yeah. It’s a Jeep thing.

I got some first hand experience with this when I was a Service Advisor. They weren’t looking into the stabilizer though. Don’t remember if there was a resolve on that. They’ve had some pretty epic recalls though. Water pumps on 6.7’s, rear ends in some of the older 1500’s (like 2003 body style), brake boosters on Durango’s and Grand Cherokee’s, tie rod ends on older 2500’s, fuel pump relays, the list goes on. Lol

I’ve also had people comment on how smooth the ride is in my 60. Leaf sprung and rolling like a Lexus. I’ll take it.

Funny how death wobble is essentially unheard of in Land Cruisers, in the same era as all those 'bad' Jeeps.
Actually it's common in any truck that has worn or out of balance tires, worn bushings or rod ends, or improper
toe or caster adjustments. I've worked on dozens of Cruisers with death wobble but because Jeep uses a coil and link system
there's more places to go wrong plus their lower links are cheap stampings so the flex adds to the problem.
I've got a Dodge one ton dually that gets the wobble once the bushings in the track bar wear. The OEM bushings lasted over 300,000
but the aftermarket imports get about 50,000. The Jeep links are short so adding lift makes things worse. The shorter the links the more they are affected by lift.

Stock are cheap stampings

There are better aftermarket choices like these

As far as I know Toyota would never use cheap Jeep style stampings on a Cruiser. They use tubular arms

Yeah. It’s a Jeep thing.

Nope just jeeps are more abundant.
My 86' Bronco with the worn out TTB had brutal death wobble until I fixed it.

When I built up my Jeep ZJ and put short arms on it. I never had any issues with death wobble.

I should rephrase my statement. Death wobble is no surprise on a totally worn out vehicle, but you see death wobble on fairly new Jeeps, coil-sprung Super Duty pickups, Dodge pickups, etc., that do not have worn out front ends. You don't see it on newer, non-worn-out Toyotas.

I should rephrase my statement. Death wobble is no surprise on a totally worn out vehicle, but you see death wobble on fairly new Jeeps, coil-sprung Super Duty pickups, Dodge pickups, etc., that do not have worn out front ends. You don't see it on newer, non-worn-out Toyotas.

To be fair, you don't see solid front axles on new 'yotas either, at least in North America, but I doubt the solid fronts on non-US Hiluxes, 70s, and 105s have the same short control arms and dinky little bushings you'd see on a Wrangler, or the cheap-as-possible-but-still-somehow-too-big bits on a 1-ton pickup front end. It's funny, the really expensive long-arm lifts for jeeps all end up making things look a lot like what's under the front of a stock 80...

There have been a number of upgrades to the JL steering damper, and for most it takes care of the problem. . Most often comes with lift and big tires. I have a stock rubicon and have not experienced it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom