Wheel and tire size?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got around to installing a 2" lift on my 60. I'm looking for some advice on what size wheel and tire to put on?

33” x 10.5” people will say this is too big, but I think it’s perfect.

OME lift on my 60. I went with 33x10.5x15 on a 15x8 alloy wheel. I’m on my third set of that tire size with the same wheels. With the 4 speed it did okay on flat ground. After driving through Colorado (mountains) with a 5 speed… I wish I had 4.11 gears. That being said it depends on what you’re driving on and where you’re going to be. 31’s don’t look terrible with a 2” lift in my opinion. The thought has crossed my mind to switch, but I don’t need tires anytime soon. Find a wheel you like and then decide on tires. HTH

I have OME 2" lift and I went with TRD Taco SEMA 17" rims and BFG KO2 275/70R17. I think its a great set up.

20210722_103315.jpg

anything bigger that 31” will suck the torque out of the engine. Even 31s aren’t ideal on pavement.
A 31” tire is a good compromise between acceleration, braking performance, off road performance (aired down in sand) and looks. It doesn’t do anything exceptionally, but does everything adequately.
A bigger tire (33”) may perform better than a 31” tire off road under certain circumstances, but it gets negative marks compared to a 31” for other important aspects. (Like driving). All in all the 31 is the winner for everyday driving but it admittedly doesn’t have the I-wanna-be-monster-truck look that 33s provide.

Last edited:
You said "wheel and tire size." Are you looking to ditch the stock wheels? If so, know that your aftermarket options are limited, unless you're willing to run spacers.

If you're sticking with the stock 15" wheels, I agree with the previous posters that 31" is the way to go. If you're moving to a 16" or 17" wheel, a metric size like 235/85r16 comes in at around 32". That's what I run on my 62 and the "driveability" is similar to the 31s I was running previously.

If you do a search and/or check the forum FAQs, you'll find more information than you've ever wanted to know about this topic, as it's been discussed about a zillion times.

I currently have 33x12.5x15 on my 87 fj60 but they're too darn big. Think it has a 2 or 2.5 inch lift . I really want to get 31x10.5x15 since they're less expensive and easier to find but afraid they'll look too little with the lift. Ill.probably resort ton33x10.5x15 but the options are few and expensive. Post pics of yours when they are on

I just got around to installing a 2" lift on my 60. I'm looking for some advice on what size wheel and tire to put on?
Yes I will definitely not run a 31 , it makes no sense to even install a lift at that point. All about ground clearance!

BFG KO2 235/85r16s on 16x6 non U.S. 70 series wheels. OME heavy/heavy
IMG_9019.jpeg

IMG_8960.jpeg
Before this I had 33x10.50r15 KM3s on 15x8 wagon wheels.
IMG_8635.jpeg
The 235s measured to just about the same height as the BFG 33” KM3s. The 235s are fantastic on road and good in the dirt.

Those look great, perfect fit and stance, imo. I'm not doing any lift on my resto project (don't want to attract too much attention here with the German TUV inspectors) so will be using the same tire but '31s. I'm hoping for an exact look (mine's blue, too :) )

Those look great, perfect fit and stance, imo. I'm not doing any lift on my resto project (don't want to attract too much attention here with the German TUV inspectors) so will be using the same tire but '31s. I'm hoping for an exact look (mine's blue, too :) )
Thsnks, 31s on stock suspension would be good and s lot less expensive, at least here in the States.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom