Analysis paralysis: roof racks.... tips, tricks, opinions, experiences. Discuss. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@tlin so your rack is just mounted directly to those feet without Rhino crossbars as well then?
Yeah, so the roof is arced front to rear and the crossbars are arced left to right. Arcs spread load, yes, but also to make a flat mount it's all higher off the roof. This works but there are better way$.

How does the platform mount to the factory crossbars in this set-up? Is it mounted with RR crossbars and feet attached to the factory siderails, AND the factory crossbars are still there for "added load distribution"?

I think those are for the Prado 150 and the RCH fit the Prado 120 using their website "fit my vehicle."
Pg 14 suggests other towers for.120 too, but yeah not the tracks. I think there are more prado 120/gx470 fitments but they're NOT on the website, like the backbone IS available but not listed online. its hard (for me) to tell 120 from 150 from the aussie brochure RE: fitment possibilities. on pgs 10, 9 ,5, and 3.
The 120/470 has a slightly more arched roof and windows get taller from rear to front whereas 150/460 seemskme a flatter roof with more parallel top to bottom of window Iines.

Last edited:
Yeah, so the roof is arced front to rear and the crossbars are arced left to right. Arcs spread load, yes, but also to make a flat mount it's all higher off the roof. This works but there are better way$.

How does the platform mount to the factory crossbars in this set-up? Is it mounted with RR crossbars and feet attached to the factory siderails, AND the factory crossbars are still there for "added load distribution"?

Rhino "feet" are attached to the underside of the Pioneer in the provided c-channels. They are them tightened (clamped) around the OEM rails which is how they're attached to the vehicle itself.

Factory cross-bars have nothing to do with my install other than I left them there to continue to provide a structural connection between the OEM rails and prevent any lateral movement/spreading. For clarity, the OEM cross-bars sit just underneath the Pioneer but don't touch it at all.

So, Maybe Aussie and USA part numbers are different, but looking at the Prado brochure it looks like RLCP23 (wider tower) RSP23 (narrower tower) and RLT600 (tracks and trigger-locked, tool-free removal from roof towers) are all Prado 150 (ergo maybe GX460) mounting systems. These mount instead of factory side rails in the factory mounting location(s).

RLCP03 (wider tower) and RSP03 (narrower tower) are for Prado 120 (and maybe therefore X470?) without factory side rails.

something else about RCH and RCP and RLCP08 for GX but not on USA site.... I guess i only spec'd my vehicle on RR USA site and didn't do a more comprehensive search of bases/towers...

All use SX which grip the siderails for RR crossbars.

USA part numbers suggest Vortex SX for clamping factory rails or the vortex stealth (looks a little less burly), and with mounting to factory holes in place of side rails, RCH and Vortex RVP are the USA PN given.

I'll ask if there is a track system and trigger-lock tower spec'd for GX 470 from USA rhino-rack.

Using the Vortex SX to clamp on the the factory side rails it look like they want to limit you to the 76” rack max. Probably becasue there are only 4 mounting spots instead of 6 and they are not as widely spread apart. With the RCH towers to replace the side rails, you get the 6 mounting spots and they cover a wider area. That is probably why the 84” rack is available with that kit.

This is all based on playing with their “fit my vehicle” configurator.

Using the Vortex SX to clamp on the the factory side rails it look like they want to limit you to the 76” rack max. Probably becasue there are only 4 mounting spots instead of 6 and they are not as widely spread apart. With the RCH towers to replace the side rails, you get the 6 mounting spots and they cover a wider area. That is probably why the 84” rack is available with that kit.

This is all based on playing with their “fit my vehicle” configurator.
Ah, that makes sense.

Plus if you did 3 factory crossbars with the SX clamps it would not provide a level surface, as the roof is arced.

Rhino "feet" are attached to the underside of the Pioneer in the provided c-channels. They are them tightened (clamped) around the OEM rails which is how they're attached to the vehicle itself.

Factory cross-bars have nothing to do with my install other than I left them there to continue to provide a structural connection between the OEM rails and prevent any lateral movement/spreading. For clarity, the OEM cross-bars sit just underneath the Pioneer but don't touch it at all.

@tlin sorry for not getting back sooner... Yes, feel free and safe to side out those factory bars. The platform and SX clamps are providing all the lateral strength needed. I would definitely remove the crossbars and stick a table up there.

If you wanted to add a third set of the SX feet, you could always do a PLHS kit. It is a Pioneer Leg Height Spacer kit that comes in 5, 10, and 15mm sizes for arched roofs.

20190525_203351.jpg

20190525_203244.jpg

Last edited:
Here's some photos of our set up with the BackBone and 84" Pioneer platform.

I'm still waiting on my recovery tracks side mount bracket. Right now they're just strapped up there with the Pioneer Pickup Kit.

I added rubber stripping into the slot under the front/side rails and now I have absolutely NO wind noise... Prior to this it was ****ing horrendous on wind whistle starting at 30mph. Some free rubber strips went right in. The front/side rails should have came with some, but good thing we have buckets of them, lol.

We are so happy with this set up. We'll be adding our spare tire up top as soon as I upgrade size. The dual Jerry Can holder will carry the spare gas and we'll add a 5 gallon water cube up there.

I have to modify my second awning brackets so they batwing awning will extend out past the side ladder bracket and soon-to-be side tracks bracket.

The Aluminum Folding Ladder is AMAZING to use, and the bracket to hold it is stout. We have used it just because. Nice to hop up on the roof and take pictures of camp or just because.

20190527_160408.jpg

20190527_160358.jpg

20190527_160336.jpg

20190527_155926.jpg

20190527_152859(0).jpg

@tlin sorry for not getting back sooner... Yes, feel free and safe to side out those factory bars. The platform and SX clamps are providing all the lateral strength needed. I would definitely remove the crossbars and stick a table up there.

View attachment 1999494

View attachment 1999495
That looks great. I was thinking 76” but I like how the 84” lines up with the front of the sunroof. Can you hook up forum members with a deal from rack attack? I believe I read that you work there(could be wrong)

Here's some photos of our set up with the BackBone and 84" Pioneer platform.

I'm still waiting on my recovery tracks side mount bracket. Right now they're just strapped up there with the Pioneer Pickup Kit.

I added rubber stripping into the slot under the front/side rails and now I have absolutely NO wind noise... Prior to this it was f***ing horrendous on wind whistle starting at 30mph. Some free rubber strips went right in. The front/side rails should have came with some, but good thing we have buckets of them, lol.

We are so happy with this set up. We'll be adding our spare tire up top as soon as I upgrade size. The dual Jerry Can holder will carry the spare gas and we'll add a 5 gallon water cube up there.

I have to modify my second awning brackets so they batwing awning will extend out past the side ladder bracket and soon-to-be side tracks bracket.

The Aluminum Folding Ladder is AMAZING to use, and the bracket to hold it is stout. We have used it just because. Nice to hop up on the roof and take pictures of camp or just because.

View attachment 1999489
/QUOTE

Is there any chance you can post some pics of the rubber strip you had to install to eliminate wind noise?

Is there any chance you can post some pics of the rubber strip you had to install to eliminate wind noise?

It's the same rubber stripping that's on the Rhino-Rack Vortex Bars.

I think Thule and Yakima rubber strip may fit as well.

Best,
Dustin

20190623_191202.jpg

20190623_191209.jpg

It's the same rubber stripping that's on the Rhino-Rack Vortex Bars.

I think Thule and Yakima rubber strip may fit as well.

Best,
Dustin

View attachment 2011032

View attachment 2011034
Ah yes, to close up the bottom of the c-channels.
Good.call.

I looked at the RR strips that do that, but the HD crossbars have a thicker lip than what's on the underside, so the RR strips walk out of underneath where they stay in the channels on top of the HD crossbars (if that makes sense).

Here's the HD crossbars, maybe you can see the thicker lip, whereas the under c-channels (mounting.olatform to backbone or towers) has a thinner lip

IMG_20190603_102242.jpg
IMG_20190604_141302.jpg

Ah, bit is your stripping in your platform accessory bars?

Ah yes, to close up the bottom of the c-channels.
Good.call.

I looked at the RR strips that do that, but the HD crossbars have a thicker lip than what's on the underside, so the RR strips walk out of underneath where they stay in the channels on top of the HD crossbars (if that makes sense).

Here's the HD crossbars, maybe you can see the thicker lip, whereas the under c-channels (mounting.olatform to backbone or towers) has a thinner lip

View attachment 2011648View attachment 2011649

Ah, bit is your stripping in your platform accessory bars?

Yep, I put my stripping in the bottom of the front/side accessory rails.

The HD accessory bars are much thicker and their rubber wo t fit anywhere else, lol. I'll be using the normal accessories bars for my ski and bike mounts up top, as well as my shovel/hi lift bracket.

I added the slimeline II a couple weeks ago for a trip into the sierras. Carried two 10' kayaks, a spare tire, hijack and a couple maxtrax.
Quite happy with it, install was pretty straight forward (bolted into factory mounts) and is very sturdy (no issues walking on it up there). No issues with sound at highway speeds.

Adding the easy-out awning with the swing arm attachment next week for a backroads trip up to Seattle.

I added the slimeline II a couple weeks ago for a trip into the sierras. Carried two 10' kayaks, a spare tire, hijack and a couple maxtrax.
Quite happy with it, install was pretty straight forward (bolted into factory mounts) and is very sturdy (no issues walking on it up there). No issues with sound at highway speeds.

Adding the easy-out awning with the swing arm attachment next week for a backroads trip up to Seattle.

View attachment 2013510
Oh the red GX is amazing!!! Uncommon beast, and yours looks proper!

Last edited:
There are so many prinsu style racks for the GX470 now, I can’t make up my mind. I want something more streamlined compared to the rhinorack and front runner rack. Leaning towards a rokmen rokrax but this Sherpa equipment co rack looks sweet as well.

2D87BE33-BF9A-42FE-882F-7E69FC08689F.jpeg

D994A47E-2E68-4110-BF86-B50C3A161F34.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom