Analysis paralysis: roof racks.... tips, tricks, opinions, experiences. Discuss. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

5th gen roofs are way flatter than 470s. But yeah, I guess with the number of platform slats, they'd leave a gap center that a sharkfin would.fit into. The 84 vs 76 have a different number of main beams too, but they'd spec specifically for where they go for the 470.
I think the GX460 backbone install requires drilling a he in the platform's frame for the exact location for one of the crossbeams.... No biggie, just a thing a DIY might frazzle about in the driveway.

76x49
84x49

I've had tabs open on my fone for months!!! Lol 😂

Correct, the 84 does come with an extra support beam. The ones with shiny spots are the beams the installer puts on the rack when installing. Both racks are shipped with the 2 completely black beams riveted on them.

Sometimes a hole is needed to be drilled. I know about 1/3 of the time we have to drill a new mounting hole in the JKU platform (even though the JKU platform has its own part number), mainly because when installing the backbone system, there is about 1/4 inch of installer preference on where each of the 3 mounts go and it can add up when doing the final install.

With the rail backbone systems, like the 4runner, Tacoma, etc, there is much less variation on mounting (when the correct platform is ordered).

The sharkfin cutout is literally a 1"x2" cutout in the front of the back beam. Can't see it from the outside of the rack.

The 5th gens are a flatter roofline, but I have faith the 84" will be perfect for our GX :)

Correct, the 84 does come with an extra support beam. The ones with shiny spots are the beams the installer puts on the rack when installing. Both racks are shipped with the 2 completely black beams riveted on them.

Sometimes a hole is needed to be drilled. I know about 1/3 of the time we have to drill a new mounting hole in the JKU platform (even though the JKU platform has its own part number), mainly because when installing the backbone system, there is about 1/4 inch of installer preference on where each of the 3 mounts go and it can add up when doing the final install.

With the rail backbone systems, like the 4runner, Tacoma, etc, there is much less variation on mounting (when the correct platform is ordered).

The sharkfin cutout is literally a 1"x2" cutout in the front of the back beam. Can't see it from the outside of the rack.

The 5th gens are a flatter roofline, but I have faith the 84" will be perfect for our GX :)
You're starting to convince me for 84.... 🤔👍

This is convo I wanted to have RE: platform choices.
A local baddy says, "bigger is better" then the statistical but not life-oractical load difference had me thinking 76. AND no data beyond interweb pix had me thinking the 84 might be long and stick out/up too high in front. Your experience mounting each (at least in 4r) is super helpful in saying they each mount the same rearward, so the difference IS all front length.

And I don't wanna $pend hundreds to just wish I had those extra few inches later. . . . 🤣

You're starting to convince me for 84.... 🤔👍

This is convo I wanted to have RE: platform choices.
A local baddy says, "bigger is better" then the statistical but not life-oractical load difference had me thinking 76. AND no data beyond interweb pix had me thinking the 84 might be long and stick out/up too high in front. Your experience mounting each (at least in 4r) is super helpful in saying they each mount the same rearward, so the difference IS all front length.

And I don't wanna $pend hundreds to just wish I had those extra few inches later. . . . 🤣
True true... I will definitely be posting more when I have some more info on when I may be getting the rack (hopefully within 2 weeks since their warehouse is not far away and I'm more than willing to drive myself and pick it up, lol)

The only thing that worries me is that my lady wants another light bar up top again, so that's going to sqew some measurements when it gets installed, but I should be able to hold off on installing it for a few weeks while I order the best choice for us, hehe... The last $30 light bar from Amazon did great for 2 yeads, just was a little small at 32" long on top of the Lexus. Fits my Subaru perfectly though!

Thinking of a 50", but not sure since the rack is going to be 49" wide... So maybe a 48" light?

can you slide it back? I'd think since there's no upward moving hatch, that the hangover in the rear isn't really a problem, but that you'd want to limit how far you hang past the mounting points. If possible, I'd slide it to the rear and even out the over hang on both ends... if that makes sense

can you slide it back? I'd think since there's no upward moving hatch, that the hangover in the rear isn't really a problem, but that you'd want to limit how far you hang past the mounting points. If possible, I'd slide it to the rear and even out the over hang on both ends... if that makes sense
Yeah, I get what you're saying.
I don't know how the pioneer platform will interface with the backbone..I'm just guessing here and it may mount a little more rearward than I've pictured, but I don't think it centered front rear. I think the rear may be @ or barely over the spoiler's front edge....
Available imagery from rhino doesn't really ever give squared profiles, they're all askew pictures.

Yeah. The 76 seems a little.more equidistant to the end of the platforms from the backbone mounts front and rear, the 84 moar overhang in the front...

With the track system and feet, you could get 4 legs per side (like 100LCs...) And a more stable front for the 84"....

Check all the Prado 120 deets! Rad Aussieness, from the homeland!

So that only shows the Backbone mounting to be available for the Prado 150 not the 120...

It's 120 too, but I see what you're saying, pg 5 shows towers for 120...

Here is more direct beta...I wish it gave dimensions too.

Last edited:

Yes you can slide it back. There's several slots on the bottom for mounting. 2 scenarios for mounting you don't need to drill anything. You can drill a third hole, and it is even more customizable in placement on the roof.

Me - Pioneer - 76" L x 54" X - installed atop factory roof rails/system via these RR feet. I've never once wished I'd gone longer, just my $.02.

@Delux2769 - since you install these professionally, any STRONG OPINION whether the factory cross-bars NEED to stay in place for my installation? I left mine there thinking they'd be beneficial to prevent the rails from spreading apart under load (left-to-right) - I just wasn't convinced the feet I linked above would be a direct replacement in this regard (as sole attachments for the rack to the factory rails).

I'd like to be able to store a table under my Pioneer but the factory cross-bars that I kept are preventing me from doing this - hence the post. It was more a "conservative" approach I took than anything else - curious if you know for sure they aren't necessary. I'll never put more than a couple hundred pounds up there (max and evenly distributed) - not my style.

cheers!

Me - Pioneer - 76" L x 54" X - installed atop factory roof rails/system via these RR feet. I've never once wished I'd gone longer, just my $.02.

@Delux2769 - since you install these professionally, any STRONG OPINION whether the factory cross-bars NEED to stay in place for my installation? I left mine there thinking they'd be beneficial to prevent the rails from spreading apart under load (left-to-right) - I just wasn't convinced the feet I linked above would be a direct replacement in this regard (as sole attachments for the rack to the factory rails).

I'd like to be able to store a table under my Pioneer but the factory cross-bars that I kept are preventing me from doing this - hence the post. It was more a "conservative" approach I took than anything else - curious if you know for sure they aren't necessary. I'll never put more than a couple hundred pounds up there (max and evenly distributed) - not my style.

cheers!
@tlin do you have a sun roof? Is it on the 80 (or is it a hundo?) in your icon pic?
the 76" lays in the middle of the sunroof on GX470. . . :confused:
*4 would line out in front of glass to rear door line, per my ghettoish measurements...

@tlin do you have a sun roof? Is it on the 80 (or is it a hundo?) in your icon pic?
the 76" lays in the middle of the sunroof on GX470. . . :confused:
*4 would line out in front of glass to rear door line, per my ghettoish measurements...

GX470....yes to a sunroof, no issues.

@Delux2769 - not sure how well you can tell in the pic below but the arc of the OEM cross-bars (which sit below my Pioneer) would interfere with a table I'd like to permanently store under the Pioneer itself. Hoping you have some useful input as to whether those cross-bars NEED to stay in place "just in case". Thx!

Pic taken from rear of vehicle looking forward - zoom in a bit and you'll see the arced cross-bars which I kept "as is" when I put the Pioneer on my roof.

GX470....yes to a sunroof, no issues.

View attachment 1988325
ah, yeah, i see.
So ON the factory side rails with those feet you linked to.
How's the wind-noise leve, esp w/o any fairing?
looks good!! OPOR sliders too! I got those in this last gruop buy. Plan is to prep and install next week...
I dig the 08 tails (pretty sure I've said that before ;) )

@Delux2769 - not sure how well you can tell in the pic below but the arc of the OEM cross-bars (which sit below my Pioneer) would interfere with a table I'd like to permanently store under the Pioneer itself. Hoping you have some useful input as to whether those cross-bars NEED to stay in place "just in case". Thx!

Pic taken from rear of vehicle looking forward - zoom in a bit and you'll see the arced cross-bars which I kept "as is" when I put the Pioneer on my roof.

View attachment 1988328
hmm. I'd say to do it right, factory crossbars would go and be replaced with a different mounting system. Either tracks and rhino towers, rhino vortex crossbars (flat, not arced like factory ones) on factory side-rails or backbone.
Towers in rhino track would replace factory side rails, rhino crossbars would replace factory crossbars and with one of 2-3 different side-rail mounting means and might leave room for tracks under the platoform.

If you went tracks and towers or backbone then the rack would mount directly to those and would leave more room under the platform... AND the platform would be closer to the roof.

I've linked a demo video mounting a platform to a Prado 120, and they give part numbers for towers. here's their track mechanism that goes in the slots where the factory mounting holes lay...

You could mount towers directly to the 6 factory mounting spots, OR with tracks you could mount 4 or more towers within the tracks...

I've seen Rhino pix using the tracks and towers for a Prado 120 (pg 9)

RLT600 (tracks and towers)
RLTP (towers in factory mounting holes)
SX (Rhino crossbars onto factory side rails)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom