Analysis paralysis: roof racks.... tips, tricks, opinions, experiences. Discuss. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are so many prinsu style racks for the GX470 now, I can’t make up my mind. I want something more streamlined compared to the rhinorack and front runner rack. Leaning towards a rokmen rokrax but this Sherpa equipment co rack looks sweet as well.

View attachment 2085031

View attachment 2085033
Those are pretty cool and full coverage too, yeah there seem to be more racks available now....

How do people feel about all the those screw heads though... I think those designs are part of what made me think i could come up with a decent tray from 80/20, but fabbing side rails and coming up with tidy corners were cruxes (to me) for a fully DIY platform.

Maybe I(/we) need to compile a summary list with prices and sizes of racks for the 1st post... ? 🤔

Those are pretty cool and full coverage too, yeah there seem to be more racks available now....

How do people feel about all the those screw heads though... I think those designs are part of what made me think i could come up with a decent tray from 80/20, but fabbing side rails and coming up with tidy corners were cruxes (to me) for a fully DIY platform.

Maybe I(/we) need to compile a summary list with prices and sizes of racks for the 1st post... ? 🤔
I don’t have an issue with all of the screw heads. Haven’t heard anything about them loosening. I just wish there was a simple kit where you could buy just the side rails and fairing for cheap and then buy the 80/20 separately.

I don’t have an issue with all of the screw heads. Haven’t heard anything about them loosening. I just wish there was a simple kit where you could buy just the side rails and fairing for cheap and then buy the 80/20 separately.
Yeah, copy that!
I called/emailed several racks to see if they sold siderails separately...of course it was a big fat negative. BUT, that's where the rhino-rack backbone comes in. You can get that (comparable price to gamiviti towers but better fore-aft load dispersion/equalizing) then build up off it, from there my mental wrestling came to clean corners and side treatments (clean platform perimeter without outside slots...again doable with extruded)
80/20 has some okay angled corners and some 1/4 round ones and again it'd be way better if one could just rifle through shelves of options vs flipping through pages of a catalogue online.

Last edited:
There's been discussion for how to put a roof box on platforms. Rhino (and others) make kits to put their crossbars on their trays/platforms, of course, but we want to mod stuff or accomplish the same on the lower co$t side. My solution here was fabbing something with unistrut (superstrut, whichever you have @ your hardware store) and it's hardware for comparatively cheap.
Unistrut camming nuts fit in the t-slots of aftermarket platforms and the 1/4" spacer plate stepped the 13/16" cannel up perfectly for my roof box's clamps to clamp the unistrut crossbars yet the box rests on the platform. win-win!
IMG_20191210_112301.jpg
IMG_20191210_112255.jpg
IMG_20191211_105901.jpg
IMG_20191211_110059.jpg
IMG_20191211_105834.jpg

Last edited:
There's been discussion for how to put a roof box on platforms. Rhino (and others) make kits to put their crossbars on their trays/platforms, of course, but we want to mod stuff or accomplish the same on the lower co$t side. My solution here was fabbing something with unistrut (superstrut, whichever you have @ your hardware store) and it's hardware for comparatively cheap.
Unistrut camming nuts fit in the t-slots of aftermarket platforms and the 1/4" spacer plate stepped the 13/16" cannel up perfectly for my roof box's clamps to clamp the unistrut crossbars yet the box rests on the platform. win-win!

That's how we mount Thule boxes on RhinoRack platforms at work. I just have the customer buy the accessory crossbar, and then space them up about 1/2" with spare Thule Snowpack ski/snowboard carrier spacers. Have tons of them laying around the shop, as they are an unnecessary part in the box... Any Ski/Snowboard shop in the area should have plenty of the plastic spacers laying around they could give ya.

We are a little late to the party - but considering the amount of great feedback on this thread we are happy to say: if you are looking for a no-compromise, welded, thick walled aluminum longitudinal rack with negligible wind noise and top & bottom M8 perimeter channels and a flat surface that you can through-bolt standard hardware to (long list - we know) that also has all custom extrusions purpose made for the rack (no off-the-shelf extrusions) .... and has 30 years in the African overland scene..

....We have a group buy at 25%-30% off just for you in the GXOR main forum.

:beer::beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom