An FJ60 called Bruno - my NorCal Bay Area restoration project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I’m new to the forum. I just acquired a 1984 FJ60 a few months ago, and I’ve been obsessed with it ever since! I started this thread to document all the repairs & upgrades that I’ve done with the truck so far. I started out as a 4Runner fanatic (I have a super dependable 2002 SR5 3rd Gen with 229k miles). My father used to be a big FJ40 & FJ60 nut when I was growing up. I think being obsessed with these old Toyota 4x4s is in the genes!

BTW, I call my truck Bruno... :)

FJ60_bruno.jpg

1984 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60
Engine: 2F (Inline 6)
Transmission: 4 Speed Manual
Displacement: 4.2L (4230 cc)
Fuel system: Carbureted Gasoline

Color: Beige 464 (best color)
Wheels: 15” OEM chrome
Tires: BFG KO2 33x10.50xR15
Suspension: stock/OEM
Mileage: 315,000+ (as of October, 2019)​

When I got the truck, it had a few rust spots on the roof gutter and had a white hood & an unpainted front fender. The previous owner said that a drunk tourist hit him with a rental in the streets of San Francisco. I got a mechanic to take a look at it before purchase and he said that the truck was mechanically sound & had no frame damage nor major frame rust. The engine was partially rebuilt about 15k miles ago, while the carburetor was rebuilt just a couple of years ago, and all the hoses still look new. Being serviced & repaired at NorCal institutions like Mudrak, Hans Art & Toy Shop (with records dating back to 1999), and having passed smog just a few weeks prior to seeing it gave me the confidence that this truck's a keeper. It was even registered until 2020.

IMG_6485.JPG

The first thing on my list was to fix the rust spots on the roof, and to get a decent paint job for the hood & fender. I plan to get a better full-body paint job later, when I have the funds. The old tired tint was also removed. My goal is to restore this gem to it’s former stock glory.

IMG_6486.JPG

Now that those are out of the way, I then started creating a running list of small items that I wanted done. I can only work on the truck on the weekends (if ever) since work & family obligations get in the way. :(

So far these are the ones that have been completed since painting. Polished/painted the rear chrome trim. Replaced the rear view mirror/cover. Replaced the stick shift knob. Painted the trim around the headlights. Polished grille chrome (needs more work). Installed 3.5” fog/driving lights with halo lights (an ebay special). Thought that it would look cool, I haven’t wired them yet. Cleaned the engine bay yesterday too. BTW, tire black works great on the rubber/plastic parts under the hood.

I recently ordered the missing chrome bumper bolts & chrome roof trim clips from SOR. They should arrive soon. Also ordered LED headlights with halo lights (that looks stock), a slim 3rd brake light strip, a stereo head unit with speakers, & some rocker switches/wiring harnesses. Should be fun to install these.

IMG_6489.JPG

I replaced the dinky stock 29” tires (which were still fairly new) with classic 33” BF Goodrich KO2 tires. I think I'll sell the old ones on craigslist (let me know if you're interested, btw). Cleaned the truck a bit too. Wanna keep Bruno as stock-looking as much as possible.

IMG_6490.JPG

Other things I plan to do with Bruno in the near future.

1. Paint wiper arms flat black
2. Steam clean all the upholstery, carpet, headliner, dash & entire interior (Just bought one)
3. Polish all the chrome trim
4. Refurbish the grille/emblems
5. Polish the 15" OEM wheels
6. Replace missing chrome bumper bolts
7. Replace missing chrome roof trim clips
8. Wire fog lights
9. Install 3rd brake light strip
10. Replace head unit (bluetooth) & speakers, add a subwoofer
11. Replace small side mirrors with bigger OEM/JDM ones
12. Replace windshield trim
13. Replace dash lights with LEDs
14. Replace signal/brake lights with LEDs

Here is my wish list. Hope I win the lottery soon.

1. New seat covers ($600+)
2. 2” old man emu lift ($2500+)
3. Whole body paint job, same color (cheap $2000+ job)
4. Off road type roof rack ($1500+)
5. Sound system upgrade ($2000+)

Thanks for your indulgence. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Life is a good.

Best,
Old Man Ray
Bay Area, CA
11/28/19

Last edited:
damn son! you been busy! $h!t, mine's been sittin' in the shed for over 2 years n all i've got done is drop the fuel tank, layed out for rear 1/4 chop on both sides and carved out the passenger side.
oh yeah, welcome to this asylum for the toyotally insane

damn son! you been busy! $h!t, mine's been sittin' in the shed for over 2 years n all i've got done is drop the fuel tank, layed out for rear 1/4 chop on both sides and carved out the passenger side.
oh yeah, welcome to this asylum for the toyotally insane

Thanks for the warm welcome, kirvesmies! Yup, got bitten by the bug the last couple of months. I'm totally obsessed with this resto project... totally "committed"! Haha!

welcome to the forum @OldMan Ray . I don't know where you are going to get a $2,000 paint job in the Bay Area. But if you find a decent shop, please let me know - I'll be in the market for paint soon enough myself once I get through my rust repair.

keep up the great work!

Any pics or write up how you repaired the roof rust?

Hi teamreno. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take photos of the process, but I do have one photo of the painted roof (see below). I was lucky that the former owner already started the rust mitigation/repairs. He had the rusted areas sanded to bare metal and applied rust inhibitor & primer. He used waterproof gorilla tape to protect the the roof/gutter holes, replacing them every 6 months. He also kept the truck garaged most of the time. He claimed that there were no leaks, and I believed him since the headliner still looks good with no water stain marks. I got a guy to weld portions of the roof & gutter for strength, and used epoxy filler & resin for the smaller holes. I then primed & spot-painted over the repair work (with beige 464). It actually turned out better than I expected.

IMG_6171.JPG

Last edited:
welcome to the forum @OldMan Ray . I don't know where you are going to get a $2,000 paint job in the Bay Area. But if you find a decent shop, please let me know - I'll be in the market for paint soon enough myself once I get through my rust repair.

keep up the great work!

Hi hygge. Thanks for the warm welcome & encouragement!

I found this shop on craigslist that offers $599 full-body paint jobs in Fremont. I called them up & explained the work I needed. The guy I talked to said that paint jobs for a big SUV like an FJ60 starts at $899. Based on our brief discussion, he said that it'll most likely be a $2000+ job for my truck. Be aware that I have no idea how good or bad these guys are but you can send me a DM if you're still interested so I can send you their contact info. I only got one quote for budgeting purposes.

Good luck on your own build!

Last edited:
Got crazy the other day & cleaned Bruno's engine bay... without water!

I researched online (youtube mostly) and found that using a combination of APC (all purpose cleaner such as Super Clean) and tire black (I used Armor All tire foam) works wonders under the hood. I started with covering the alternator, distributor, the A/C components & other electrical parts with plastic bags for protection. I then started applying APC on the underside of the hood & worked myself down, scrubbing & wiping as I went along. Then I applied tire foam all over. I let it sat there for about 5 minutes & started wiping with a microfiber towel. I was super gentle on the vacuum hoses & the loose wires, didn't want to pull things apart. It took me a couple of hours, but it was worth it!

Note that this was just my first pass, I'm planning to use my new steam cleaner (probably with an engine degreaser) in the next few weeks to go over the problem spots. Sorry, I think it's a sickness...

Before:
IMG_5787.JPG

After:
Note that I painted some of the stuff under the hood
such as the brake booster.
Thinking of getting engine decals too.
IMG_6461.jpg

Check out the clean & shiny vacuum hoses!
IMG_6464.jpg

I used a bottle of APC, a bottle of water,
tire foam, shop towels, microfiber towels & a couple of brushes.
Check out the 3.5" fog lamps from ebay.
IMG_6455.jpg

Last edited:
Hi hygge. Thanks for the warm welcome & encouragement!

I found this shop on craigslist that offers $599 full-body paint jobs in Fremont. I called them up & explained the work I needed. The guy I talked to said that paint jobs for a big SUV like an FJ60 starts at $899. Based on our brief discussion, he said that it'll most likely be a $2000+ job for my truck. Be aware that I have no idea how good or bad these guys are but you can send me a DM if you're still interested so I can send you their contact info. I only got one quote for budgeting purposes.

Good luck on your own build!

There is a spot in Walnut Creek that is well known for "cheap but pretty decent" paint jobs. Miracle Paint and Bodywork. A friend of mine had his 40th Anniversary 80 series repainted in the original gray. Looks great and was somewhere around $2500.

Congrats on the purchase and work so far. Between Mudrak, the Toy Shop, and Hans Art it sounds like this 60 has been in good hands. I have been to all three at different points in the last 20 years, with various Toyotas.

There is a spot in Walnut Creek that is well known for "cheap but pretty decent" paint jobs. Miracle Paint and Bodywork. A friend of mine had his 40th Anniversary 80 series repainted in the original gray. Looks great and was somewhere around $2500.

Congrats on the purchase and work so far. Between Mudrak, the Toy Shop, and Hans Art it sounds like this 60 has been in good hands. I have been to all three at different points in the last 20 years, with various Toyotas.

Thank you DFXR. Yep, got lucky with this baby. Looking forward to many years of fun memories with this rig.

Thanks also for sharing the paint shop in Walnut Creek. I was just there in the neighborhood with my wife last night, had dinner at this Italian place. I like Walnut Creek.

Last edited:
Lookie what I got in the mail today... It's like Christmas when I get packages from SOR (aka Specter Off-Road)! :)

IMG_6531.jpg
IMG_6536(1).jpg

IMG_6526.jpg
IMG_6534.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom