An ethical dilemma? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

some of my favorite quotes

"This is one of if not the finest FJ45 truck in existence.""If you demand the finest and rarest Cruiser out there, this and my 1983 FJ45 Troopy that will be for sale on eBay in the next 1-2 weeks. The troop is the best one I've heard of out there, also one of the best off road inspired FJ40's out there will be completed in the next 2 weeks and for sale on eBay."

apparently, he doesn't hear about many rigs out there...

"Most “restored” Cruisers are built to what I call a 7, please check out several restored versions IN PERSON, then check out this truck IN PERSON. The time and money difference from a 7 to a 9+ as this truck was restored is huge. There are plenty of nice restored Cruisers out there in that 7 range, I sell them that way as well, but if you are looking for the absolute best this is it."
"GM crate motor small block chevy 350. Edelbrock electric choke carburetor based on the GM quadrajet design. Top of the line billet aluminum goodies throughout. Electric fan, Saginaw power steering. The transmission is a GM 700R4 (4 speed automatic overdrive) with an electric torque converter lockout for easy operation. Stock Toyota transfer case. 1976 FJ40 disc brake front axle and rear axle fine spline 4.10 geared. Power brakes with proportioning valves. Old Man Emu 2 ½ in suspension lift and shocks. Custom digital gauges made by Dakota Digital. Tilt column, CD player in glove box, quiet performance exhaust. Custom made balanced drive lines. Yokohama radial tires 30/10.5/15"
"The paint color is Daytona Yellow, was done with the best products in a base/clear. The bed/tub floor/underside of body are Raptor lined for durability and heat protection."

none of this is restoration as mentioned. while it may be nice, it's not a restoration. it's a plain old build. a plain old build, no matter how nice, 99% of the time will not be worth as much as it's equally restored counter part.

"I usually roll my eyes when I read the following statement on a competitor’s eBay add, but it’s worth noting. 5-6 FJ40’s sold from the mid 50’s to 90’s at the recent Barrett Jackson Auctions in Scottsdale. FJ40’s are not that hard to find, a FJ45 pickup and Troopy are much more rare and valuable. End of my sales pitch J"

so why bring it up?

"These 2 vehicles I have on eBay are some of the best in the world and not the typical “nice” $25,000 Land Cruiser."

has he inspected the "typical" nice $28k cruisers in person? or is he just making a biased judgement. how does he know how nice they are without inspecting them.

"$2000 non-refundable deposit due via PayPal directly after auction is completed (no exceptions). After deposit is made, I recommend and prefer the buyer to view this vehicle in person before the rest of the funds change hands. "
so if it turns out to be a complete p.o.s., you're out $2000

"Vintage vehicles will all need tinkering, that is part of the fun, please expect that. "

as is evidence on this sight, but i thought it was a 9+ rig...shouldn't a 9+ rig not require anything?

Seems basically like (paraphrased), "I promise this is the nicest rig you've ever seen, but no promises."

&

"If for whatever reason, you find out that I have misrepresented this vehicle, tough luck, I'm keeping the 2 grand."

macey.jpg

I am new to the forum but not new to situations like this. I was a law enforcrment officer in Louisiana and investigated a similar occurance, but with a different outcome. This individual was defrauding people left and right, mostly elderly persons on limited incomes. He knew every loophole in the system and used them to his advantage. One day he went on a fishing trip with some friends into the Honey Island swamp and never was seen again. Case closed. ;)

If a person is a douchebag, and is pimping a chromed Chruiser on ebay,
are they a Chrouchebag? :confused:

In all the ebay post by Brett Young, it is stated that the truck has been handled by a professional cruiser restoration shop, and yet there is no mention of the name of this highly reputable shop. Also of note is this recent VJ45 has been built by an alleged reputable shop, with a new GM crate engine (typically has 12mo. warranty), yet the reputable shop does not even offer the industry minimum 90 day/3000mile warranty on the work.

Assuming the reputable shop is actually posting the listings, they actually strongly disclaim any warranty of any kind on their work or any of the parts they installed. That is an impressive level of confidence.

No, really, that creates a very strong impression of the confidence they have in their work. Caveat emptor, indeed.

FWIW there is some new content in the tech thread, which should be entitled:
"how to un-*** Brett Young douchebaggery".

But it's tech, so it's not called that.

Here's the thread detailing some of the unusual findings on this re-restore:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/618090-how-not-restore-fj40.html

If there is any further info about this shop, please post it.

From a current auction listing:
"I own a FJ40 restoration shop, I built this vehicle to be a daily driver with off-road capability. This FJ can drive 65-70mph on the highway to your hunting or off-road destination, perform great in the hills, then drive home. I’ve owned over 700 FJ’s and built quite a few like this for customers, I’ve figured out what works and what does not. "

Who knew?

Wait, it gets better!
"I believe most people are much better off buying a FJ40 from a specialty shop than some back yard mechanic you find on Craigslist. I’ve bought FJ’s from all over the world ranging from $100-$50,000, all have needed quite a bit of work, this one has all the bugs worked out and is ready to enjoy now.
..any potential FJ buyer is much better off spending more money up-front to buy a professionally built vehicle vs. a lower end unit just to take to a build shop and pay $100 an hour to repair or finish it, you are dollars ahead to buy completed. I hear the sad story often regarding someone buying a “restored” FJ on Craigslist or eBay from a back yard mechanic that needs thousands in repairs not disclosed when they have me check it out in my shop, after they bought it. I fix all those problems before I sell, as indicated in my years of flawless eBay feedback, letters of recommendation, magazine articles etc. Unless, you strictly want a project to build yourself, buy it done. I have projects for sale, if you want turn-key, this is it. "

Holy carp, that's quite a load of... bull:cookie:

Very interesting. I am following the "How Not To Restore..." thread, just found this.

ok, so I ended up reading through this thread....then part way through coming across the Charlie Wenzel thread from Pirates 4x4. Some observations from reading both so close together
1. Pirate is ruthless....they absolutely eviscerated that guy due to being a lying douchebag...all for $125...gotta admit with his attitude he got what he asked for.
2. The similarities used by both Charlie and Brett are uncanny (it gives a great look into the mind of a pathological liar) its almost as if they go play by play through some book. They never give up...keep trying to "make their point while avoiding all facts", use threats, etc. Makes it very easy to see through the b/s when you compare.
3. After what they did to Charlie for his fabrication I can't even imagine what they would have done to someone who bascially did the same thing to the CO just at a much grander scale (granted on Pirate the one who got scammed was a long time member....this CO seems to be a noob to Land Cruisers).
4. Probably what bothers me the most about this is how Brett attacks Jim for stating facts and then tries to mock his operations ("ie working out of a shed"). I would take this as a badge of honor....an FJ40 is not about flash, it's about substance....and everything I've read leads me to the conclusion that Jim is the embodiment of what the FJ40 is in the first place. I would also point Brett to the old saying "it's not the arrow son, its the indian". Jim's got the setup he needs to do knockout work...why change it? That would be like mocking Warren Buffet for living in a house that's worth $450K...when he could afford to buy an island to live on if he wanted...its not his style. Cheers Jim...if I was in Ohio and I needed something for my FJ40 that was over my head....I'd be heading to one place. Alas I live in WA....so I know I'll be staying away from West Richland! and we have Tor out here...so hey, I'm covered.

I definitely feel for the CO - you hate to become jaded and want to trust people....but when you do, **** like this happens. I fee even more lucky for finding this site again....MUD saved me from Greg at VOR...and I found an honest seller through this site (many thanks to Reddingcruiser aka Dick).

I would almost understand somewhat if Brett came out and said "hey, i really thought the mechanicals of the engine and trans were good...that is why I didn't tear into them at all and just worked on the cosmetics"....but at this point the cast has been set, if he did it would be yet another ploy as you can never get him to answer a single point regarding how he represented this rig.

Again, just for a second imagine what would have happened if this took place on Pirate....i do think it speaks volumes to the members of MUD - lot of restraint going on here. But man it would be fun to see the Pirate guys get into this one. :)

Cheers. hoping for a happy ending to this saga for all.

and FJ40 Jim...thank you for all the tutorials your putting out there...

Even 4 chat?

:whoops:

Well, if inquiring mines want to know:

I had said that since Charlie Wenzel was mentioned, this same thing LINKY should happen to BY ...

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom