Builds An Accidental Frame Off.................. (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not that I’ve ever done it or condone it.... but forest service roads just seem like they are meant to be driven with a beer in hand.

Not that I’ve ever done it or condone it.... but forest service roads just seem like they are meant to be driven with a beer in hand.
Indeed they are...

Driving is how I'm most focused. I use the dashboard, and binder clip attached to the sun-visor, to sort thru bills, pay stubs, receipts, Harbor Freight coupons, etc. I'd rather have some hops sitting behind the header pipes on an inline-6 while I figure out the technical names referencing businesses listed on my bank statement.

Last edited:
So a funny story. I'm taking point on my four wheeler with the family, picking huckleberries and riding the trails of north Idaho over the mountain to Elk River. Just a casual weekend. I'm out ahead, an empty beer can in my atv cup holder and 3 smashed ones on my floor board. Drop down onto the Forest service gravel road and run into a couple of Leo's. Forest service or Fish and Game, can't recall. So, I stop to say hello and wait for dad and the family, as I wasn't sparing the whip on the dirt and got out in front a ways. The officers ask me how it's going, where was I heading, had I been drinking. I was honest and said yep, I've had a few through out the day. It was 3:00 and I had 4 since noon. Unusually mellow day. It was Elk River days in town, and people were partying and riding and mud dragging. Fun weekend. Apparently in Elk River they had a drunk pull a knife and stab someone, and they wanted "to make sure I'm not causing trouble and drunk driving carrying that bowie knife and .45 auto" and that I understand that they "are officer of the law and can write tickets just like the police." I told them I knew perfectly well their capacity, and if I had been drunk I probably would have kept riding, and what they see is what I have had all day. They weren't having any of it, even if it was the truth. I have to get off my quad and get the ping test and touch your nose exam, as my dad and family all go riding by... I even got a damn warning ticket! What REALLY burned me is the same two a****** officers ran into a DRUNK bunch from the camp above us, on atv's, on the same road, and told them to be careful and sent them on their way. Apparently, I made their quota for the day :rofl: LESSON LEARNED: never stop to say hello and always hide your dead soldiers out of sight!

So a funny story. I'm taking point on my four wheeler with the family, picking huckleberries and riding the trails of north Idaho over the mountain to Elk River. Just a casual weekend. I'm out ahead, an empty beer can in my atv cup holder and 3 smashed ones on my floor board. Drop down onto the Forest service gravel road and run into a couple of Leo's. Forest service or Fish and Game, can't recall. So, I stop to say hello and wait for dad and the family, as I wasn't sparing the whip on the dirt and got out in front a ways. The officers ask me how it's going, where was I heading, had I been drinking. I was honest and said yep, I've had a few through out the day. It was 3:00 and I had 4 since noon. Unusually mellow day. It was Elk River days in town, and people were partying and riding and mud dragging. Fun weekend. Apparently in Elk River they had a drunk pull a knife and stab someone, and they wanted "to make sure I'm not causing trouble and drunk driving carrying that bowie knife and .45 auto" and that I understand that they "are officer of the law and can write tickets just like the police." I told them I knew perfectly well their capacity, and if I had been drunk I probably would have kept riding, and what they see is what I have had all day. They weren't having any of it, even if it was the truth. I have to get off my quad and get the ping test and touch your nose exam, as my dad and family all go riding by... I even got a damn warning ticket! What REALLY burned me is the same two a****** officers ran into a DRUNK bunch from the camp above us, on atv's, on the same road, and told them to be careful and sent them on their way. Apparently, I made their quota for the day :rofl: LESSON LEARNED: never stop to say hello and always hide your dead soldiers out of sight!

Yeah I've heard of the forest cops sitting down the road on popular forest service roads waiting for people to drop back out of the woods, usually a mile or so away from larger established campgrounds. I never stop to chat, I'll continue down the road like I never saw them, passing by with nothing more than a wave.

If I'm parked on the side of the road eating or something and they stop I try to be as cordial as I can but I don't give out any info. At all.

It always feels like they're fishing for a reason to cuff you.

Yeah, our group got open container tickets in Canyonlands National Park. These guys saw some empty cans in our rig when it was parked at a trailhead and spent the entire rest of the day tracking us. Finally caught up to us at camp that night. It completely ruined the trip for us.

Yeah, our group got open container tickets in Canyonlands National Park. These guys saw some empty cans in our rig when it was parked at a trailhead and spent the entire rest of the day tracking us. Finally caught up to us at camp that night. It completely ruined the trip for us.
What bogus law did they ticket you for?

What bogus law did they ticket you for?
Open container. Apparently White Rim Trail is considered a public highway if that makes any sense. Some hopped up Park Ranger kid who got picked on in high school was giddy to pull out the pen and paper.

Open container. Apparently White Rim Trail is considered a public highway if that makes any sense. Some hopped up Park Ranger kid who got picked on in high school was giddy to pull out the pen and paper.
Yeah, I would have been in court for that one.

If I ever got stopped during the summer they'd haul me to jail, there's usually a pile of duds all over the back of 40.

Funny part about that is the fact I get searched weekly entering the federal facility that I work at. They always open my cooler looking for cold beers, all they ever find is duds.

Last edited:
This past Thanksgiving weekend, I was heading home from Star ID in the Tundra. On the 95 North of Fallon, I was approx 88 (in a 70)........Cruise control...middle of nowhere - no cell service - nothing - AAA isn't coming, type of nowhere.
Nevad HP goes by the other way over a rise, I immediately start to slow down, and pull off the shoulder. My wife asks why I just pulled over instead of letting the guy pull me over, I told her it was obvious I was over the speed limit, lets make this easier on the guy.

He was GREAT, thanked me for instantly pulling over and far off the shoulder for his safety. Although, he did write me a ticket (I haven't had one in 15+ years so I was fine with it) and at 75 in a 70 instead of 88 - it was $115 total!

Thanked him for his time and that we appreciated his service. Good lesson for my boys

Last edited:
Okay hijacking the thread for a minute. Doing a rear drum brake job on my '72. The hard lines that go to the axle and between cylinders, they don't want to rotate so the fittings will back out of the cylinders. PB Blaster and then some heat? I didn't think of this when I ordered all the other stuff, and I doubt Autozone carries the hard lines, and I don't want to twist those hard lines in half. :rofl:

Okay hijacking the thread for a minute. Doing a rear drum brake job on my '72. The hard lines that go to the axle and between cylinders, they don't want to rotate so the fittings will back out of the cylinders. PB Blaster and then some heat? I didn't think of this when I ordered all the other stuff, and I doubt Autozone carries the hard lines, and I don't want to twist those hard lines in half. :rofl:
Grab it like this and push or pull with both wrenches. No heat, no PB Blaster.

Flare Nut1.JPG

Flare Nut 2.JPG

if people can drive, smoke and text at the same time then surely there are those among us who can drive, drink beer and eat fried food while operating a 40 on road or off at the same time

try that with a stick shift right hand drive vehicle, that’s interesting. I’m not saying I can’t but I’m not saying I can either....:cautious:

Other than taking it super slow and hoping for the best, there really isn't much hope for those lines. Seems like they just rust to the brake line nut and want to turn with it.

I finally got smart and pulled the cylinders apart. I have new ones, so no big. And what do I find? A very nice color of rusty water... they were filled with water and brake fluid and have to be rusted solid. Guess I'll be running to the 'Zone in the morning and bending some lines :rofl:

Looks like I parked for a little too long. I'll be damned if I only have 12K on the last knuckle rebuild, Marlin inner axle seals and I used the centering tool. Guess I might check out what it looks like inside......maybe during runoff.
20210125_111935.jpg

Went over to Bozeman to pick this up yesterday, came from a long line of mudders. Picked it up from one of the guys from the local (Bozeman local) club. I'm not 100% sure on my plans yet, time will tell.
20210124_204833.jpg
20210124_204653.jpg
20210124_204702.jpg

Looks like I parked for a little too long. I'll be damned if I only have 12K on the last knuckle rebuild, Marlin inner axle seals and I used the centering tool. Guess I might check out what it looks like inside......maybe during runoff.
View attachment 2565256
Is this really a "parked too long" problem?
Mine just showed a few signs... and less than 12K on the rebuilt knuckles... just over 10K miles on mine, 5 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom