Am I going to hate myself (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The short answer is yes. Within 24 hours it's typical to start experiencing nausea, heartburn, indigenstion.. followed by hating your life, sleepless nights and strong urges to get back into another LC.

Last edited:
I think the 2nd gen Sequoia is the biggest sleeper vehicle Toyota has ever made. It is an absolute tank. Just as reliable as a 200 series. Common issues include cam tower seepage, and that's about it. Interior plastics and creature comforts are not on par with Lexus, obviously. But there's no radiator weak-spot issue (different design), and the coolant valley leak seems far less talked about on the Tundra and Sequoia forums than it is here. I believe starter replacement is easier as well.

I disagree that the Sequoia drives big. Yes, it's a big vehicle, but it has tight steering just like the Tundra (2nd gen Tundra is still best in its class) with a much smaller wheelbase.

2nd gen Sequoia turn radius: 19.1 ft
200 series turn radius: 19.4 ft.

They can also be built out into pretty capable trucks. The CV axles are insanely large (he uses the term "comically humongous" in the video), and he hasn't broken one yet. ARB offered to break one for them if Tandem will just ship it and tell them what the load limit is. Here's an interesting video from Tandem Offroad where they discuss off-roading their built Sequoia:

All that said, I'm still in a 200 series and not a Sequoia. I just don't look down my nose at the 2nd gen Sequoia. It's a great vehicle, even though I think you should keep and maintain your LX.

Last edited:
I think the 2nd gen Sequoia is the biggest sleeper vehicle Toyota has ever made. It is an absolute tank. Just as reliable as a 200 series. Common issues include cam tower seepage, and that's about it. Interior plastics and creature comforts are not on par with Lexus, obviously. But there's no radiator weak-spot issue (different design), and the coolant valley leak seems far less talked about on the Tundra and Sequoia forums than it is here. I believe starter replacement is easier as well.

I disagree that the Sequoia drives big. Yes, it's a big vehicle, but it has tight steering just like the Tundra (2nd gen Tundra is still best in its class) with a much smaller wheelbase.

2nd gen Sequoia turn radius: 19.1 ft
200 series turn radius: 19.4 ft.

They can also be built out into pretty capable trucks. The CV axles are insanely large (he uses the term "comically humongous" in the video), and he hasn't broken one yet. ARB offered to break one for them if Tandem will just ship it and tell them what the load limit is. Here's an interesting video from Tandem Offroad where they discuss off-roading their built Sequoia:

All that said, I'm still in a 200 series and not a Sequoia. I just don't look down my nose at the 2nd gen Sequoia. It's a great vehicle, even though I think you should keep and maintain your LX.

Pretty sure the coolant valley leak is common across the board with the Toyota V8's. My relative had it on their Platinum Sequoia and it's possibly the most common on the GX460's with their smaller 4.6L V8. I remember T100's suffering from it as well, just another Toyota quirk.

I guess I should have mentioned its my wife’s truck, mostly used for work taking samples to customs in the restaurant industry. We have found ourselves driving to Florida 2-3 times a year from Wisconsin so we stack up miles pretty fast, never been or doubt I will take off road. I am not interested in the new V6 regardless of who makes it, not in a hurry, but LX’s are not a good value right now. I really appreciate the conversation and will take my time in my decision….I can tell you this, no GM or Ford products for me ever again!

I wish I could find someone to do an AHC fluid change but not a single Lexus or Toyota dealer will do it Near me!

I wish I could find someone to do an AHC fluid change but not a single Lexus or Toyota dealer will do it Near me!
There in lies the flaw of AHC. This is why i had to step back from my infatuation with the LX600. 😩

Pretty sure the coolant valley leak is common across the board with the Toyota V8's. My relative had it on their Platinum Sequoia and it's possibly the most common on the GX460's with their smaller 4.6L V8. I remember T100's suffering from it as well, just another Toyota quirk.
It may be. I just don't see very much talk about it on the Tundra forum (my other vehicle is a '21 Tundra). I do see a LOT of talk about the cam tower seepage, though. Here on the Mud forum, it seems reversed: not much talk about cam tower seepage, but seemingly more cases of coolant valley leaks.

I find this interesting, because the 3UR-FEs in the 200 series are made in Japan, and the ones in the Tundra and Sequoia are made in the US. Totally different factories, potentially different suppliers for various parts.

Look at the 300 series as well: the V35A-FTS turbo waste gate failures all over the Tundra forum are virtually nonexistent on this forum. I think this is because the turbos in the 300 series are made by IHI Japan, and the turbos for the Tundra are made by IHI America under license from IHI Japan. Different factory, possibly different supplier, etc.

have you driven one? A sequoia is nice but it will feel like an American truck compared to your LX.

Is it really 2k of maintenance, reading this form, AHC globe replacement is right around the corner. The truck is starting to “loosen up” meaning it’s not as quite as it used to be and it’s value is decent right now. I am looking at a 2017 LX with 35,000, but the infotainment screen not being a touch screen is ridiculous. Not in a rush, but I am going to drive the Sequoia this week.
According this forum 135K is "not even broken in" now I am reading my 2013 LX is an unreliable POS

Make up your mind mud!

Is it really 2k of maintenance, reading this form, AHC globe replacement is right around the corner. The truck is starting to “loosen up” meaning it’s not as quite as it used to be and it’s value is decent right now. I am looking at a 2017 LX with 35,000, but the infotainment screen not being a touch screen is ridiculous. Not in a rush, but I am going to drive the Sequoia this week.
Well it certainly ain't 30k worth of maintenance.

Agree, the no touch screen on the 2017+ is beyond dumb. The stupid mouse thingy is a master class in frustration.

Well I do not know about a 13LX, but for 21s Platinum rides way better, especially at highway speeds (75+) which we have a lot of in Texas and SW.

Again, do not know about 13LX, but for 21s, 13.5mpg LC200, 18mpg Sequoia, = 33% better mileage. LC200 drops significantly over 65mph. Sequoia not so much.

I use large phone on LC200, it is not same as big built-in screen. And the connected features are really nice to have.

Again, two different vehicles for two different purposes. OP has to decide which he needs most. But paying $56K for platinum features while losing LX seems crazy to me.
"Again, do not know about 13LX, but for 21s, 13.5mpg LC200, 18mpg Sequoia, = 33% better mileage. LC200 drops significantly over 65mph. Sequoia not so much."

I just finished a cross country drive in 2013 LX with 18" LC rims and 275/65-18 Yokohama Geolander G15s and averaged 18.5 on the highway.

Over 75 the mileage does drop off but I didn't feeel the need or have much opportunity to cruise over 75

Last edited:
never been or doubt I will take off road.

I am never an advocate of ditching a vehicle because it has some routine/preventive maintenance coming up. To me, that's just straight up wasteful and also sets up the next owner (and the vehicle itself) for a tougher life. But I get that not everyone shares my view.

That said, if it's purely a pavement pounder, there is no real advatage to a 200/LX. Get whatever floats your boat. While I find your 33% mpg increase dubious (to put it politely) having 2WD should definitely help the mileage some.

I just finished a cross country drive in 2013 LX with 18" LC rims and 275/65-18 Yokohama Geolander G15s and averaged 18.5 on the highway.

Over 75 the mileage does drop off but I didn't feeel the need or have much opportunity to cruise over 75

Those are great numbers.

As for speed, I am in Texas and 75mph can be anywhere from 5-10 mph under the speed limit.

Since last tank full I am keeping it under 65mph to see how much I can get if I consciously try.

Those are great numbers.

As for speed, I am in Texas and 75mph can be anywhere from 5-10 mph under the speed limit.

Since last tank full I am keeping it under 65mph to see how much I can get if I consciously try.
As soon as I hit Il, OH, PA, etc the speed limit is 65, 60 or 55 so I did get better mileage. Still not great but no one buys a 6klb V8 truck for the mileage.

You think the Sequoia feels cheap, wait until you drive the Armada/QX80.

Going to drive this week, GX, Sequoia and QX80…..

I believe most owners of those models would jump at an opportunity to get into a 200-series if cost weren't a factor...

Well I do not know about a 13LX, but for 21s Platinum rides way better, especially at highway speeds (75+) which we have a lot of in Texas and SW.

Again, do not know about 13LX, but for 21s, 13.5mpg LC200, 18mpg Sequoia, = 33% better mileage. LC200 drops significantly over 65mph. Sequoia not so much.

I use large phone on LC200, it is not same as big built-in screen. And the connected features are really nice to have.

Again, two different vehicles for two different purposes. OP has to decide which he needs most. But paying $56K for platinum features while losing LX seems crazy to me.
Given above post, i got to thinking about Sequoia...why fuel is not that good. And why i find this 33% difference odd. I found data on 2019 Sequoia which is the same thru the years. This is a modified post of an older post i made.

The automatic transmission ratios on a 2019 Sequoia is the exact same as the one on the 2014 Land Cruiser. 1st gear = 3.333, 6th gear = 0.588.

Same engine. Weight within a few lbs of each other. Big ass frontal area...same DRAG COEFFICIENT for both at 0.35.

BUT this is where it gets interesting.

The DIFFERENTIAL RATIO of the Sequoia comes in two flavors:

1. without tow package = 3.909:1 (same as 2014 LC)

2. WITH tow package = 4.300:1

Fuel economy of 2019 Sequoia 4wd: 13 city / 17 hwy / 14 combined.

Not sure if i am reading it right, but 2019 Sequoia SR5 has tow package...so, basically, ALL Sequoia on the road has TOW package, at least 2019 (only year i looked). And if so, then EPA likely tested the one with the tow package.

So, this explains why a 4wd Sequoia with MULTI-MODE 4wd (2wd selectable) does not have better highway efficiency...because their final drive ratio is MUCH HIGHER numerically than any Land Cruiser.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now compare this to a 2016+ Land Cruiser.

Sequoia 6-speed auto: (as noted above)

1st gear = 3.333
...6th gear = 0.588

Differential ratio = 4.300:1

2019 LC 8-speed auto: (of course, this applies to all LC 2016 and up)

1st gear = 4.795
...8th gear = 0.672

Differential ratio = 3.307:1

The last gear of each transmission....the Sequoia's 6th gear is actually lower numerically than the 8th gear of the 2019 LC!! So, if everything else being equal, the highway cruising efficiency would favor the Sequoia! BUT, Toyota compensated for the shorter/higher numerically 8th gear (on 2016+) by lowering numerically the differential ratio (3.307 vs. 4.300).

Thus, on highway cruising efficiency, the Sequoia and 2019 LC are similar (Sequoia 2.53 vs. LC 2.22)....thus explaining why EPA ratings b/w the two vehicles. Technically speaking, the LC 8-speed is more efficient on highway due to lower final drive ratio. EPA loop testing does in fact confirm such small changes in final drive ratio by giving LC a 1 MPG advantage over Sequoia. (Sequoia is also a few lbs heavier than LC...so this would also work in favor of LC.)

Where the LC 8-speed has advantage over Sequoia's tranny is in the first 5 gears. The final drive ratio is significantly higher numerically on the new LCs than Sequoia. On Sequoia, gear ratio of 1.000 is at 4th gear. On 2019, 1.000 is all the way at 6th gear. Despite having a lower diff ratio, the first 5 gears on newer LC should produce more responsiveness due to the lower/shorter final drive gearing (high numerically).

In conclusion, Sequoia and LC should have basically similar fuel efficiency on the highway in stock form...if anything, LC should be slightly more efficient (and EPA confirms this...17 for Sequoia and 18 for LC). Any other differences are from environmental differences b/w the drives or drivers.

Last edited:

See video. He talks about Sequoia vs. LC throughout video. Basically, LC is in another class under the pretty skin.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom