Am I going to hate myself (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2013 LX, it’s a great truck, but with 138,000 flawless miles, I am going to have to replace the radiator and get another set of tires. So, I was doing a little truck shopping and am starting to see the Sequoia‘s prices dropping, I am looking at a 2020 Platinum (certified) with 34,000 miles for $56,000. Would I hate myself going from my 2013 LX to this truck?

@Lou Gill

To me it depends—do you need the extra space that a Sequioa provides?

The Three Bears come to mind. I once had a 2020 4Runner Trd Pro which was too small inside and the Sequoia is too big. The LC/LX is just right for my needs.

Also, you know the history of your LX which you say has been “flawless”. Buying used means you don’t know the history—not saying that will be an issue.

I believe you’d regret it and unless you need the space—I’d keep the LX, replace the radiator/tires, and carry on.

If it matters to you, I think you'll notice the interior not being as nice even with the platinum trim. The Sequoia has a ton of room when you need it, greatly assisted by the fact the seats fold flat. But you're really going to notice that extra size maneuvering it around parking lots and such.

Before I got my LX I briefly owned a 2021 Sequoia TRD Pro, and a 2023 Sequoia SR5. My LX is a 2020, but still in your shoes I'd stick with LX if its been flawless.

I have a 2013 LX, it’s a great truck, but with 138,000 flawless miles, I am going to have to replace the radiator and get another set of tires. So, I was doing a little truck shopping and am starting to see the Sequoia‘s prices dropping, I am looking at a 2020 Platinum (certified) with 34,000 miles for $56,000. Would I hate myself going from my 2013 LX to this truck?
I think the easiest answer here is to test drive the sequoia, and decide if it’s an improvement or not for how you use the vehicle. Obviously no one on a 200 series forum is going to suggest downgrading to a Sequoia and paying 30k to do it…

I have a 2021 Sequoia Platinum and my mom has a 2017 LC. I love my Sequoia and think it’s the perfect vehicle for my needs, but is it a land cruiser? No…. With that, if you need the extra space or stability for towing, it doesn’t hurt to look. The build quality isn’t bad (contrary to some of this forum’s opinion), but it’s not built to LC standards and that’s a fact. To each their own. Personally, I’d keep what you have.

What are you looking for in the 2020 Sequoia? Newer-ness? Updated infotainment?

So you are thinking of spending 30K+ to save 2K worth of maintenance?

Is it really 2k of maintenance, reading this form, AHC globe replacement is right around the corner. The truck is starting to “loosen up” meaning it’s not as quite as it used to be and it’s value is decent right now. I am looking at a 2017 LX with 35,000, but the infotainment screen not being a touch screen is ridiculous. Not in a rush, but I am going to drive the Sequoia this week.

For me, the ONLY three advantages of Sequois are:

1. Much bigger 2nd and 3rd row. HUGE. And you still have cargo space even with 3rd row up.

2. Most flexible 4wd system of any Toyota SUV. 2wd, 4wd full-time, 4 LO, and ATRAC.

3. Regular gas.

But the negatives are many:

1. No CRAWL. (And its ATRAC is really not great off-road.)

2. IFS/IRS has zero articulation.

3. Poor approach and departure and breakover angles.

4. Cheap interior. Hard plastic galore.

5. Leather is cheap.

6. Drives BIG. Ride is floaty.

7. Underneath, the frame is more like 4runner than LC...crossmembers and stuff hang below frame height.

8. Not sure on this one, but i don't think that it has all the skidplates...i think none on fuel tankl??

9. Zero aftermarket support.

So, IF you need the room, then go for it. (Or if you anticipate that your LX will be a money pit.) Otherwise, nah....

I would keep your LX and see how many miles you can rack up on the machine. That’s one of the perks of owning a 200 series.

The ONLY benefit of the sequoia is larger cargo and passenger room area. Besides that, it’s a downgrade on all fronts.

If you are wanting something newer, look at LX 570 16+ low mileage rust free examples for that kind of coin.

And 100,000 miles less, 7 years newer with a certified warranty for the same engine and transmission…..and regular gas

Meh. I get less miles but IMO age is irrelevant. Both trucks were built in the same "era" using similar tech. Personally, I wouldn't trade even with the difference in mileage and age.. even if it was a straight trade with no money involved. IMO the vehicles are just not in the same class 🙂 That said, its all in what you prioritize... particularly if you do the maintenance and repairs yourself.

I have a 21 Sequoia Platinum and a 21 LC200

To me they are different vehicles entirely. I use the Sequoia as an everyday driver, hauler, and touring vehicle when I will be on paved roads. The LC200 is for off pavement and other environments where I will be camping or towing my camping trailer.

The LC200 can go everywhere the Sequoia can, though not always better. The same cannot be said for the Sequoia, but what I use the Sequoia for, it does really well. Will never sell either. Last of the V8 generations.

In your case, I would not take the deal. Even if you never planned to leave pavement or engage 4x4 ever again, I would not pay $56K for that.

Last edited:
When the shiny new is gone in a couple years, what are you left with?

Keep the 200.

You are left with the #1 reliable car in North America, which will go on for decades. Of Course, 2nd place is LC200...

Ranked by mileage, the top-ten longest-lasting vehicles include:
You dont lose either way. It is a matter of knowing what you want to use it for.

Last edited:
Is it really 2k of maintenance, reading this form, AHC globe replacement is right around the corner. The truck is starting to “loosen up” meaning it’s not as quite as it used to be and it’s value is decent right now. I am looking at a 2017 LX with 35,000, but the infotainment screen not being a touch screen is ridiculous. Not in a rush, but I am going to drive the Sequoia this week.
Globes could very well address the noise issues. My cruiser has almost 200k but brand new take-off suspension and there are zero squeaks or rattles. It is incredible.

As for premium vs regular, there are many, many people running RUG in their LX with zero evidence posted to this board of it harming anything.

I also hate the idea of no touch screen in the refresh LX but can’t ignore the many people that said it’s not bad once you get used to it. And you get a lot more with that model.. Lower mileage, proven AHC, LED headlamps, 8spd, etc. and IMO being really good looking, especially when modded.

The ONLY benefit of the sequoia is larger cargo and passenger room area. Besides that, it’s a downgrade on all fronts.

LOL.

I can haul myself, wife, 2 kids and a dog + our luggage in Sequoia, cannot even come close to that in LC200. Add in much better ride, connected services, remote start, Carplay, Blue ray for kids, 33% better gas mileage, it is far far best for family on trips.

As I said, they are different vehicles, that do different things well. You have to decide what you do.

Have family? Sequoia will likely meet needs better. Single? LC200 is probably better choice.

I would also add there is a load of new vehicles coming out over next year or so, they are also worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom