Too much rust or am I too picky (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at this pretty decent example of a 200 from Texas but there’s a little bit of surface rust under it. What do you guys think?

IMG_4466.jpeg

IMG_4465.jpeg

IMG_4463.jpeg

IMG_4462.jpeg

IMG_4460.jpeg

A bit hard to tell from the photos, but the front LCAs might be a bit crusty. Otherwise everything else looks fairly minor given the year/miles. Surely will require some bpblaster or wd40 when working on the suspension and brakes, but not too terrible. Of course the final price also determines whether its worth it or not.

Being from texas I doubt any of that would be very deep seated. Mine spent five years in Virginia then five here, and can look just as bad or worse in sepcific areas from the few ski trips I've done and no issues with rusted bolts (other than the exhaust manifold to downpipe studs/nuts.. even the actual mani nuts came right off)

If you want an absolutely perfect one, that's not it. But if the price is right I'd have no issues accepting that rig and I'm pretty unaccepting of corrosion that can cause maintenance problems.

new shock probably not OEM, newish CV? Got fishing line wrapped on it.
sticker on brake dust shield,
check both sides see if anything else is suspect.

Car maybe backed into boat ramps or fishing places occasionally.

Where can I find that? New to 200s

You'd want to make sure those allen bolts can be turned and are not seized up. Just make sure you don't turn them more than 3 times.

Pretty sure those are original shocks, brake backing plates, and CVs, it's just that this thing never even went through a mud puddle.

My new take-off shocks and parts all have the same stickers. Only more dirt.

Where can I find that? New to 200s

I h8rust more than ih8mud - but that truck looks fine to me, at least from the photos.

X2, from the land of Mag Chloride.

Use a scuff pad or wire brush on the areas that bother you and paint.

Soak fasteners in your preferred solvent before loosening - good advice for all of us.

What rust?

Yes, would have no issues with that minor level of corrosion, though would likely spray the areas (staying away from the brakes) with fluid film. I did that liberally on the KDSS valve on mine (abundance of caution).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom