Am I going to hate myself (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

See video. He talks about Sequoia vs. LC throughout video. Basically, LC is in another class under the pretty skin.
To be fair, he also calls the 2nd gen Sequoia a hidden gem that holds its value and says it drives very impressively for such a big, old design. He said as a mechanic, he’s never seen one newer than 2014 with the cam tower leak. He said if you need the size and don’t mind the fuel economy, you will love it. But he does not recommend the flex fuel trucks.

We can give him all the data in the world but I’m quite certain a mere 5 minute test drive of any sequoia after arriving in your LX you’ll know what’s more important to you.

So after driving the GX, Sequoia, QX80 I have decided to keep my LX…..which most of you predicted! Having the radiator changed along with the water pump and hoses next week, anything else, please chime in! New Michelin tires in September just in time for winter. As I have mentioned before, there is no one, Toyota or Lexus dealer that will touch the fluid change on the AHC, my personal mechanic said he would change the fluid through the reservoir, but is that worth doing? Don’t tell me it’s easy, mechanical stuff is not my deal!!! Oh, the Sequoia was my second choice, drove one with 80,000 miles it was impressive.

So after driving the GX, Sequoia, QX80 I have decided to keep my LX…..which most of you predicted! Having the radiator changed along with the water pump and hoses next week, anything else, please chime in! New Michelin tires in September just in time for winter. As I have mentioned before, there is no one, Toyota or Lexus dealer that will touch the fluid change on the AHC, my personal mechanic said he would change the fluid through the reservoir, but is that worth doing? Don’t tell me it’s easy, mechanical stuff is not my deal!!! Oh, the Sequoia was my second choice, drove one with 80,000 miles it was impressive.

Good to hear, I had little doubt that you'd make a switch unless you're just the restless type. Smart move on keeping it.

Ditto, the only other one that I am constantly impressed with is ADVRider, but that's for adventure and enduro bikes.

Unless your 200 is on 35's then it should be getting a lot better than 13.5mpg. I am on 34's and I can still touch 16mpg on the highway.
That’s what I’m wondering. My 21 LC HE gets shy of 18 mpg cruse control at 82mph all day long.

I have a 2013 LX, it’s a great truck, but with 138,000 flawless miles, I am going to have to replace the radiator and get another set of tires. So, I was doing a little truck shopping and am starting to see the Sequoia‘s prices dropping, I am looking at a 2020 Platinum (certified) with 34,000 miles for $56,000. Would I hate myself going from my 2013 LX to this truck?
The Sequoia is a terrible looking vehicle that will not perform as well as the LX, is not as comfortable, and would not retain the same value as a LC. Sorry, just my own opinion.
It won't do anything better than your LX. I know I would regret that trade, but I also know I would never consider it.
Just my thoughts.
Best of luck on your choice.

It won't do anything better than your LX.
• It will seat the same number of people far more comfortably than the LX.
• It can hold far more gear than the LX. 4x8 sheets of plywood will actually fit in a Sequoia.
• It has a more versatile transfer case and can do the same 4Hi or 4Lo unlocked as the LX plus 2Hi.
• It has a tighter turn radius than the 200 series.
• It is no less measurably reliable than the LX, and yes it does retain its value as a % of original price paid extremely well.

Yes, I chose an LX over a Sequoia. Just because I’m in an LX doesn’t mean I can’t recognize the positive aspects of another extremely dependable Toyota BOF SUV.

• It will seat the same number of people far more comfortably than the LX.
• It can hold far more gear than the LX. 4x8 sheets of plywood will actually fit in a Sequoia.
• It has a more versatile transfer case and can do the same 4Hi or 4Lo unlocked as the LX plus 2Hi.
• It has a tighter turn radius than the 200 series.
• It is no less measurably reliable than the LX, and yes it does retain its value as a % of original price paid extremely well.

Yes, I chose an LX over a Sequoia. Just because I’m in an LX doesn’t mean I can’t recognize the positive aspects of another extremely dependable Toyota BOF SUV.
But you chose an LX 😉

But you chose an LX 😉
Yes. I like it don’t get me wrong. But for reference, there’s a 2011 Sequoia platinum w/ 143k for $21,400k near me. I paid $24k cash for a very clean ‘09 LX with 149k miles. The Sequoia’s asking price is the same or even higher as a % of original price paid.

And guess what I wouldn’t be doing in the Sequoia? Swapping new AHC globes, bleeding AHC fluid, and replacing a JB-welded radiator (and water pump, serp belt, thermostat, idler pulley, etc) at 158k miles because Sequoia radiators made in the US don’t have the design flaw that Toyota chose to ignore in their apex J-VIN 200 series platform for a decade. I might have cam tower seepage in the Sequoia, but in 99.9% of cases, it doesn’t leak enough to even change the reading on the dipstick between oil changes.

My other vehicle is a Tundra SR5. It has been rock solid, no issues, and the interior might scuff easily, but it makes zero noises whatsoever. Literally dead silent at 49k miles. And I have beat the piss out of that truck from Tennessee to Colorado. My LX has spent its entire life on pavement (the guy I bought it from said he’s never even put it in 4wd, lol). The LX is the opposite of silent. It sounds like the 2nd row seats are loose. It rattles like mad, and the leather rubs. I have checked torque on everything, put foam underneath and between the seats and conditioned the leather, and it persists whenever unoccupied. It’s borderline maddening. I get that I’m hearing less road noise in the LX, but I still don’t understand how the rattling/rubbing is so loud.

I am a big fan of Toyota trucks and SUVs—the ruggedness and go-anywhere-and-come-back-every-time dependability. But I absolutely hate the “stealth wealth” “IYKYK” “look at me I bought the most capable $100k vehicle made on planet earth and I am scared to take off pavement” that I see sometimes on this forum. Someone literally started a thread recently about how they live in an affluent neighborhood and no one cares about their LC. Lolololol

It’s fine if people bought it for the badge, but looking down our noses at other vehicles especially when the 200 series has some glaring issues of its own is just ridiculous to me. 🤦‍♂️

Sorry for the rant; not all aimed at you. 🍻

Yes. I like it don’t get me wrong. But for reference, there’s a 2011 Sequoia platinum w/ 143k for $21,400k near me. I paid $24k cash for a very clean ‘09 LX with 149k miles. The Sequoia’s asking price is the same or even higher as a % of original price paid.

For what it’s worth, I freaking love my 2013 Sequoia. Arb bumper, Warn 12k winch, front runner rack, Slee rear coils, front adjustable UCAs, OME coils, Bilstein 5100s, Icon wheels with 285/75R17s. I’ve got 3 kids and love getting into the hinterlands - there’s room for our family of 5 and a couple of dogs.

IMG_9179.jpeg

Some video:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom