Aluminum tubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In everyone’s opinion, what do you all think putting an aluminum tub on an fj40 does to the value of a restored fj?

I am aluminum-biased so I say it will put it up in the $35,000+ range. I bought my aluminum tub, cowl, running boards, front fenders, bib, aprons, windshield, and tailgate in 2004 for around $6,000. I'm glad I bought that stuff when I did because it certainly has not gotten any cheaper. It took several years to put it all back together, but there is great peace of mind knowing the cancer is 100% gone from most of the body. I see it as a big plus. I consider my truck a renovation more than a restoration. It now has power steering, 4 wheel disc brakes, de-smogged, and a family roll cage. If it was a restoration it would still have drum brakes in the rear and Armstrong steering. You can keep the steel trucks restored like museum pieces down to the sticker on the air cleaner. I'll take the upgraded one.

Speaking of restoration - is anyone interested in an original Dunlop Sno-Cruiser spare on a steelie? I have been dragging it around from place to place every time I move and I am ready to let it go to a museum or someplace like somebody else's garage.

In everyone’s opinion, what do you all think putting an aluminum tub on an fj40 does to the value of a restored fj?

"Restored" and "restoration" are very ambiguous terms these days. In my mind (coming from the world of antique and vintage motorcycles), "restoration" means absolutely everything on the machine is original or has been replaced with identical OEM parts. In some cases where OEM parts no longer exist, the aftermarket may supply exact duplicates of original parts. But I have come to observe that in the Land Cruiser world, almost anything can and will be called a "restoration", so it depends on what you call a restoration I guess. By my definition, an aluminum tub would NOT enhance the value, it would detract from it. YMMV.

Edited to add: I would happily have an aluminum tub on mine, but it's not a restoration, it's already fairly heavily modified.

Many people consider restored as original, and aluminum is not.

If your replacing a rusted out tub with holes in the floor and a rear sill that's gone and otherwise full of body filler and dents, it's going to be an improvement. Just do what you want, build the vehicle you want to have. It's a hobby, not an investment.

I watched a build in a shop with an aluminum tub and parts. His gripe was how poorly everything fit and lined up.

For me, I'd put aluminum on the fiberglass range... not suitable for a true restoration. Maybe a resto-mod but for me absolutely zero value add and if anything a ding if I can get steel for only a little more.

Agree not a "true restoration". But if someone can't built an aluminum body to fit right, why would you think the same people could do so with steel? You'll end up with the same issues...

I'm not into keeping my 40 in a garage and only driving it on nice days to showboat it. I like to take mine out in the woods. I would like a nice aluminum body that if done correctly will give decades of use so for me I would have no issue with a aqualu tub

There are really a few categories. The purist type restoration as said so far. But, there are many resto mods that sell really well also. Depends on the purchaser. Look at FJ CO and see what people pay for mods. I know they have business/warranty but most of their vehicles are imports and then modified to specification. I am a purist but if I ever lived in a rust prone area, I would go aluminum.

I love having a Gozzard tub. My (wife's) BJ42 gets driven everyday. And now that my son is driving there are three of us fighting for the keys. For us we definitely wanted a vehicle that could be used regardless of anything. I want to drive it without worry, and we will not be selling it so the monetary value of it doesn't matter as much to us.

As for Aqualu products, I have been happy with the half doors from them. Friends are happy with the tubs. They have definitely been tweaking and refining their products over the years.

Going from a rusted out tub to fresh off the showroom look is such a good feeling. But as has been mentioned above, correct installation is the most important aspect of it. That "priceless" feeling goes away pretty quick when you can't open a door or roll down a window.

Going from a rusted out steel tub to an Aqua will increase the value of the truck, if installed properly. So you won't be out the money you put into it. 10 years of driving it around in peace and you pull up to a "restored" steel 40 that is only brought out on nice days, and the restored one already has bubbles showing under the paint (it will), in my opinion, you are farther ahead.

Oh, I in no way want to take away from the commitment and appreciation of a restored 40 series. That takes some serious effort, money, and patience. I tip my hat to everyone who goes down that road. Funny thing is, a lot of those same people will have a second Cruiser they drive around for fun.

i agree on the term restoration needing to be true factory parts but as a resto mod i think it’s a great option. i guess if you’re going to drive it a ton you don’t want a perfect restoration. if you drive it a ton and later want to sell it i think an aluminum tub that’s well done will bring a higher price than a rusted out tub. again it’s all what you plan on doing with the truck (drive or store).

I picked up an Aqualu tub and cowl about a year ago. Yes, there has been some fitment oddities, but that has been part of the fun, and one of the reasons I own this vehicle. Certainly not for the purist, but a seriously solid body with good looks, in my opinion.

20200913_150603.jpg

20200913_150512.jpg

Back when I bought my aqualu stuff from Cruiser Solutions in 2004, even they were using factory steel fenders on their own restorations. I should have picked up on that, because their alum fenders didn't fit well back then and took some time to get close, but then I will say they have not corroded. My only other beef with them was the cowl firewall was not contoured like the steel one (maybe okay for a BJ) and my 2F tappity tapped on it from time to time when turning left. I finally cut a hole in the firewall where the back of the intake manifold touched.

Best decision I ever made.With my limited bodywork skills it allowed me to do my own work and get that satisfied feeling. I only use it as a soft top so there are no fitiment issues with mine.
Aqualu tub is thick as hell looks great ,I doubt very much anyone other than another 40 owner would be able to tell the difference. Value wise I'm not so sure it brings down the value unless the truck is perfect other than the body.

Hi, The best tubs bar none are made in France.That said their transmission hubs are clearly not factory look. However their shop burned down, and when if ever they reopen is up in the air . I’ve emailed them about it and received no response . Unless your going to sell the truck ,buy what ever gets you down the road again. Mike

Back when I bought my aqualu stuff from Cruiser Solutions in 2004, even they were using factory steel fenders on their own restorations. I should have picked up on that, because their alum fenders didn't fit well back then and took some time to get close, but then I will say they have not corroded. My only other beef with them was the cowl firewall was not contoured like the steel one (maybe okay for a BJ) and my 2F tappity tapped on it from time to time when turning left. I finally cut a hole in the firewall where the back of the intake manifold touched.
I had to cut out a portion on the tranny hump and Fab a new plate as the body touched the bellhousing. Could not for the life of me figure out why. No matter, works now.

I had very minor issues with mine. Most of the bolt holes to secure to frame lined up nicely. I had my original trans cover modified to work with the tub. Just did not like the squared off look of the new cover that came with tub. I’m going to drive it, I’m in the rust belt and just did not have the $10k to put down on a CCOT tub and the horror stories of tubs coming out of South America turned me off to them.

0978FCC7-09A6-4DE9-8A24-5E49868ED3C6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom