aluminium tub experience (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guy's

I'm a Crusier Virgin.
Bought a 74 fj40 and am in the process of upgrading not restoring!
I bought a 3/4 Aqualu Tub for it and I'm wondering if anyone has some needed advice about the instalation. it should be here in about 5 days. I have much experience with MG's and Spitfire's, so I'm not a complete mechanical idiot. Anyway just looking for some hint's with isolaation of the bolts, and painting. I plan on painting myself, with PPG. A friend suggested Clearpacking tape in between the metal and Aluminum parts. He's a Aircraft Mechanic and apparently thats what they do inbetween gauge panals and what not. Thanks for the help :cheers:

aqualu gives you some goo to put between the firewall and the new tub (sikoflex?). you'll need a special primer for the paint if you didn't already know. if you need more info you can PM me, i've done a couple.

The body mounts they supplied leave a bit to be desired (IMO). You can use thin rubber between aluminum and steel parts (like gaskets).

Keep us posted as to how it goes. I have a lot of mechanical work to be done before paint. I'd be interested in what you learn

Nocents

I'd Thought about Bicycle Tubing. We'll See. I saw your Pics are you happy with the Tub?
I will post some pics as soon as I figure it out. I have one pic in the crusier garage of before I started

So far the quality of the tub seems to be very good. I had them weld the cowl to the tub for me. The fit and finish look good, glad I had them do it (free too!) as it would have been a hassel for me. I am still fitting the motor up . When I set the tub I found that I had the rear transfer case mount too high (SBC installation with NV4500). After that I have to come up with a seat frame, complete dash, air conditioning and more. Then take it all back apart for paint. Maybe paint next year. Good news is that I won't have to worry about rust before I paint.

Nocents

This is what I used

I used rubber sheeting the kind with thread in it to isolate things like seat brackets, roll bar, Jump seats ect. Use the sealant they give you b/t the cowl and new tub. Make sure the thing lines up and put the bolts in the back before you use the sealant. Mine was a bit difficult to line up. Overall nice product to bad all of the stainless bolts they give you are not metric. I would suggest not using the tech screws on the hump I drilled and taped.
MJM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom