Alternator over-charging? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
77 with what looks like stock alternator. My battery and gauge are showing 15volts+ during output. Is this externally regulated? If so, where is the regulator? Can I replace with an alternator that is internally regulated if not? Thanks.

20210928_114049.jpg

20210928_114201.jpg

20210928_114151.jpg

20210928_114044.jpg

I believe on the 77 stock is externally regulated & mounted on the drivers side firewall.
They are adjustable. There's a good thread on it "HERE". I had two after market regulators that over charged new out of the box.

yeah, good catch. That's from that junky jtoutfitters power steering bracket. Even after hacking on it it still doesn't line up well, going to have remove and modify some more.

yeah, good catch. That's from that junky jtoutfitters power steering bracket. Even after hacking on it it still doesn't line up well, going to have remove and modify some more.

you have more issues going on here then you may assume , corriosion wires , bad terminals , and crumbling connectors too .......

you have more issues going on here then you may assume , corriosion wires , bad terminals , and crumbling connectors too .......
Eh, not too bad, a little light corrosion here and there, most of it knocks off with wire brush. I don't see any issues with my connectors.

Ordered new vr, will have it on tomorrow. Thanks all.

Check battery voltage before turning on engine. Voltage should be at least 12.5 if less charge your battery. If your battery voltage reading is 12.5 , start the engine, voltage with engine running should be between 13.1 - 14.5
Check alternator voltage while engine is running directly from alternator batt post etc... Basically eliminate alt, battery being defective, then verify wiring integrity based on the alternator diagram.

Definitely check external regulator wiring, diagram ref

If you find that the external regulator is the culprit, you can look into replacing the alternator with a unit that comes with an internal regulator and eliminate some wiring mess. Just an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom