"All it needs is a timing belt"... Bringing a 98 LX 470 back (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Right side valve cover/spark plug tube seal gasket replacement yields a very bright and clean looking set of cams.

10.jpg

Got the bad motor out tonight and started to move the timing belt/water pump components over. Pay no mind to the extended reach modifications to the hoist and the token counter weight to make us feel better. This allowed us to not have to take off the bumper and front clip.

12.jpg

Old meets new

13.jpg

In this picture you can see some of the bright new parts

Aisin water pump, Aisin fan pulley bracket, serpentine belt tensioner, idlers, timing belt tensioner (out of sight). We did buy a new OEM water pump gasket since the first one was already compressed/torqued.

new time.jpg

We noticed the rear main seal was leaking. So a new RMS went in. Never easier to do this job easier than when the engine is out.

seal laek.jpg
new seal.jpg

A little Red and White box parts flex

OEM flex.jpg

Last edited:
Sunday we had it all back together, just a few things lift on the list. Had oil and coolant in her. We were hooking up the connectors by the trans. the last 3 connectors on the entire engine. wouldn't you know it, the connector for the gear sensor harness is different. We were trying to be smart and use the same harness that was on the 2000 LC. Well, something is different between the two connectors (even though the part number is exactly the same on both trucks). So tonight the old engine is in the garage getting the harness taken off. @CarterB341 will swap them in the morning.

list on pizza box.jpg
harness.jpg

Wow, first LC I've heard of breaking a rod. Would be interesting to open it up and see if anything else it bent/broken.
Looks like a pretty clear case of rod failure in the narrow section. There is other damage caused by the broken bits flying around, but to my untrained eye, the root cause is the rod.

0C49740A-BB6F-4EE3-9033-2CDD771082B2.jpeg

Crazy. Wonder what on earth caused that failure. Sure doesn't look oil starved (not that that would break a rod). Not a compressed motor, Any marks on top of the piston of it hitting valves?
No marks. But there is this. Likely happened by the valve punching the piston back down after the rod snapped.

18DF0472-B383-41FA-9E6F-61942DCE0207.jpeg

@CarterB341 worked pretty hard to make it look good. Something called a three stage blah blah correction or something. All I know is it looks great. The hood looks way better but it sat for a while with bird poop on it and that must have damaged the clear coat a bit.

And he worked on the driving lights as well, which is a big improvement.

new detail.jpg
detail 3.jpg
detail 5.jpg

detail 1.jpg

Last edited:
Are these mirrors a pain for everyone, or just my truck? Driver side folds but doesn't adjust. Passenger side just tried to folds, but no movement. Neither of them actually adjust the mirrors.

mirror.jpg

Are these mirrors a pain for everyone, or just my truck? Driver side folds but doesn't adjust. Passenger side just tried to folds, but no movement. Neither of them actually adjust the mirrors.

View attachment 2895972
Mine aren't power folding, but they fold just fine by hand. They adjust without any issues and defrost fine too.

I did find the glass had some play in it when at high speeds and there was a cross-wind buffeting it. But a half turn on the screw on the underside of the housing fixed that.

Are yours power folding?

Mine aren't power folding, but they fold just fine by hand. They adjust without any issues and defrost fine too.

I did find the glass had some play in it when at high speeds and there was a cross-wind buffeting it. But a half turn on the screw on the underside of the housing fixed that.

Are yours power folding?

Yes, power folding, power adjust, and heated. Except none of that works. I have heard that the computer/control module in the driver's door has been known to go bad, so I am hesitant to pay $$$ for new or used mirrors when it could be the module.

Now that the engine is running normally (yay!) and powering the accessories, I found this the other day. New power steering pressure hose is on the way. Sure would have been way easier to do this when the engine was out, but we don't do easy, apparently.

leak.jpg

The new power steering hose went it way easier than I thought it would. And the Toyota OEM gaskets make the install easier than chasing two separate copper washers. I went with the SUNSONG 3402817 from Rock Auto. Seems like that is what a lot of 100 series guys liked. $101 to my door. Came with the copper washers and the new anti chafe bushings for the mounts.

Its too cold (30 F), so I dogged it off for the night. I'll bleed the system tomorrow. I'm cleaning the reservoir tonight.

On the RH head center just below head cover, is a 5x1" plate riveted to the head. You'll also see VIN # DS door plate, lower LH corner through windshield

2UZ 4Runner 109.JPG

the engine number is the same as the VIN?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom